Winter clothing - help or hindrance?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If it works for you, crack on with it. It may well be that the layers you were wearing were quite thin. In the depths of a really cold snap I'll wear a base layer, polo shirt, Insula top, packlite top and a lined waterproof. Apart from the lined waterproof, they're all quite thin.

I suppose if you're trussed up it might stop an overswing but I guess at your age overswinging is a distant memory.

G

guest100718

I went out to play a quick nine-holes this afternoon. As it was rather cold and a bit windy, I was wearing the following clothing. Thermal base layer - long sleeved vest and long johns; polo shirt, lined trousers, sleeveless pullover, lined zip up wind cheater, and a waterproof jacket. I felt like a trussed up turkey, but actually played pretty well, scoring 17 points, one-over handicap, carrying only a half set of clubs, and the course wet and playing very long. I think that the many layers of clothing might have held my swing together and prevented too many individual moving parts. Any views on this? :mmm:

That much clothing sounds ott.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I went out to play a quick nine-holes this afternoon. As it was rather cold and a bit windy, I was wearing the following clothing. Thermal base layer - long sleeved vest and long johns; polo shirt, lined trousers, sleeveless pullover, lined zip up wind cheater, and a waterproof jacket. I felt like a trussed up turkey, but actually played pretty well, scoring 17 points, one-over handicap, carrying only a half set of clubs, and the course wet and playing very long. I think that the many layers of clothing might have held my swing together and prevented too many individual moving parts. Any views on this? :mmm:

What you need to do Del is to wear the same stuff in the height of summer, and then you can do a scientific comparison of your swing and the results thereof

happy to help :)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
what always amazes me is the amount o "cold weather clothing" the guys down south wear!!!!

i played in -5 this morning and wore nothing like as many layers i doubt you even played below 0*

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The most I ever have on barring rain is a base layer, polo, GG insula, lined jumper and winter weight trousers.

I'm not the most 'insulated' of people so feel the cold, but it's normally bearable with what I wear.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just wear what makes you happy. We're all different so will have different ideas on what to wear. I'll wear what I think I need on any given day, and frankly without trying to be rude delc, I couldn't give a toss what you wear or wore.

G

guest100718

what always amazes me is the amount o "cold weather clothing" the guys down south wear!!!!

i played in -5 this morning and wore nothing like as many layers i doubt you even played below 0*

T shirt weather

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had to wear my waterproof jacket for the first time this winter in the rain and hail yesterday and it took a bit of getting used to. Four layers is about the max for me as I already feel like the Michelin Man.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Someones missing an opportunity here. I checked out a few golf websites... cant find waterproof golf shorts anywhere!

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I played yesterday morning, thin compression under layer Long Johns, chino's, a T-Shirt and IJP lined sweater, Mizuno Therma Grip Gloves and a wooley hat and I was fine.

2 layers is all you need unless it's blowing a very icy wind in which case I would have swapped the under layer long johns for waterproof trousers and the lined T-Shirt lined sweater for a base layer compression top combined with a standard sweater and wind stopper top.

The under layers don't have to be expensive as I paid around £15 for mine from Lidl's however one area where I wouldn't compromise is the wind stopper. If you can get a Gore Windstopper they make a huge difference and are worth the extra investment

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Decent base layer and a warm "top" such as adidas ClimaWarm + or GG Insula, if really cold also an adidas ClimaWarm gilet.

The bottom half all I need is a pair of leggings and some winter trousers such as UA Cold Gear

Pickles

Hacker
Visit site
Its a hard thing to decide upon.

A: Stay warm yet feel restricted.

B: Feel unrestricted yet freeze after 6 holes, Thus restricting body movement even more. :rolleyes:

Things I have found useful in the past is wearing warmer layers but less of them. Things like quilted down garments rather than base layers. Other than that a good hat and possibly a neck warmer is essential.