Them 3 footers

bayjon14

Assistant Pro
www.seapointgolflinks.ie
Hi All,
I am really struggling with my 3 foot putts. They are wrecking my scorecard.
I had 14 of them today. I am not a "bad" putter, I read the green well, either putt out or get very close.
Then it goes tits up. Usually miss by a ball width and push 4 foot past.
Has anyone got good little tips that can help.

Cheers guys.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Imagine a straight line from behind the putter head through the center of the hole, make sure you follow that line with your putter head. Also make sure you hit the ball with enough pace to go past the hole to avoid pulling out of the putt. I also say the word PUTT in my head before lifting my head,this keeps the head still. Hope this helps.

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Someone gave me a decent tip about those little tiddlers the other day which was to grip the crap out of the club.

You don't need much feel at that range and a really really firm grip stops the wrists doing anything.

Not a perfect solution but surprisingly effective.

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was given a few tips last week, one of which made sense.

Line your put up with the ball lined up on our front foot. Position your putter face behind it, noting the distance from your foot to the back of the putter. Now use your back foot as a guide to keep your swing straight.

Not that it worked for me this weekend LOL :D

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's not being eager to see if it's gone on for me. I can also try to steer the putter rather than just stroke it like a longer putt.

Are your approaches/chips going to 3' or are you leaving your first putt 3' away?

bayjon14

Assistant Pro
www.seapointgolflinks.ie
Region3,
basically today I had 10 x 3 putts and 2 x 4 putts. Score card wreckers.
My long putts I am getting them inside the barrel, my approaches all day were reasonable, leaving me 2 putts for a bogey or a par.
As they say " I just couldnt buy a Putt"
It is really frustrating, a shot a 108 were I really could have shot a 98 max.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Is a blade putter right for you? If your putting motion doesn't suit a blade style it may not make that much difference over 25 feet but maybe it is over the last 3..?

bayjon14

Assistant Pro
www.seapointgolflinks.ie
Imurg,
it is a blade but their is some weight as it is the backstryke.
Like most of golf the problem is not the tools, it is the tradesman. I suppose I am after the definitive guide to making the 3" putt everytime.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Imurg,
it is a blade but their is some weight as it is the backstryke.
Like most of golf the problem is not the tools, it is the tradesman. I suppose I am after the definitive guide to making the 3" putt everytime.

http://www.v-easy.co.uk/

It's designed and sold by our very own bobmac and in the short time I've had one, it's transformed my putting.

It's the best £20 you'll ever spend.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Them 3 footers can become a mental thing, I go through periods where I'm gripped with terror whenever I'm faced with one.

My remedy is to pick a small spot on the back of the hole and focus on this.

But probably more useful for me is to accept that I'll miss a few short ones during a round and to just take the result whatever, in the hole or not. This seems to remove the fear of missing short putts and so the holed percentage goes up.