Theatre

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Showstopper: the improvised musical is an absolute joy.
They make up a musical on the spot, taking suggestions from the audience on location, musical theatre styles and title. Then the cast just go for it.
Brilliant fun.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure how they can still get enough people to make up the cast in the theatre nowadays - it used to be that, when reading the programme, 90% of the supporting cast had been in at least one of The Bill, Holby City or Casualty. Now 2 of these have finished, where are they finding the actors from? :cool:

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My wife and daughter love them and go quite regularly. Me, I have been twice when she dragged me along. I can barely watch a whole film in one sitting so the thought of spending 3 hours sat in a theatre watching people sing/act just does not appeal to me. I appreciate that some of them are really good singers which is a special talent that not everyone can do.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I saw The Lion King recently at the Palace Theatre in Manchester, the show was excellent, really enjoyed it, the costumes to make the animals are something else, it is a little different as the characters are animals.
Unfortunately the seats in the theatre are so small and the lack of legroom even with a aisle seat makes it so uncomfortable it may be a while before I visit again.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
The majority of this thread seems to suggest that for most people 'theatre' = 'musicals'. Which is fine is that's your thing. And given that the last two things I've been to were Book of Mormon (was Ok, but an uncomfortable seat and a rubbish view rather spoiled it) and the opera (Magic Flute, brilliant) I can't really say much. But there's loads of other stuff. This weekend it's going to be '2:22 - A Ghost Story'. Has had very good reviews but it's just moved theatres, and was rather disconcerted to find that the lead has been taken over by Cheryl (Cole as was) in her first (?) acting role. Ah well, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt until I've seen it.
So, finally got to see 2:22 today. Mrs B's birthday treat so had front row seats in the dress circle. Thoroughly enjoyed it - well produced and intriguing all the way through. Never saw the end coming. And my apologies to Cheryl for doubting her ability - she was the most natural and believable character on stage. Well done her.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
We saw Lion King yesterday. I like the music but the staging is weird. Not quite as weird as the movie remake.

With the music in this one, I like the songs without singing more than the ones with. I think it gave Hans Zimmer more space. The little one however liked Hakuna Matata and joined in, singing to himself ;-)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So, finally got to see 2:22 today. Mrs B's birthday treat so had front row seats in the dress circle. Thoroughly enjoyed it - well produced and intriguing all the way through. Never saw the end coming. And my apologies to Cheryl for doubting her ability - she was the most natural and believable character on stage. Well done her.
And you’ll understand why I suggested she’d be just fine given what the part largely required of her 🥰

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Been to see Cabaret tonight at the “Kit Kat” club in London (playhouse theatre) Absolutely stunning performances by the stars Aimee Lou Wood and John Mccrae as well as the whole chorus line. Exotic, erotic and dark. Simply brilliant.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Been to see Cabaret tonight at the “Kit Kat” club in London (playhouse theatre) Absolutely stunning performances by the stars Aimee Lou Wood and John Mccrae as well as the whole chorus line. Exotic, erotic and dark. Simply brilliant.
Cabaret at the Kit Kat Club is on our ‘to experience’ list. 👍

Meanwhile…we are going up London next Thursday to see Oklahoma then on 31st May up again to see Shirley Valentine (Sheridan Smith gets great reviews as Shirley). We keep our eyes peeled for last minute deals and so wouldn’t be surprised if we do something in between.

We go up London for a show or the theatre quite frequently these days, usually a Thursday, as our return rail fare is only £15. Plus a lot of West End shows on tour do Woking - only 30min drive or train journey from us.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Seen We Will Rock You several times. Saw just over half of Evita - hated it, and left just after half time. Miss Saigon was ok-ish. As for Les Mis.... Almost in the Evita bracket for me.

Can add a few more. Fame, the male lead was pants. Grease, not bad at all. Mama Mia, bit weak.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Just back from Frozen. Much better than expected.

We currently limit ourselves to musicals our 6 y/o can watch. Did Marry Poppins, Lion King and now Frozen with him.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just back from Frozen. Much better than expected.

We currently limit ourselves to musicals our 6 y/o can watch. Did Marry Poppins, Lion King and now Frozen with him.

Our daughter will be 6 soon, we taking her to see frozen for her bday but at a local theatre, very reasonable and also saves dragging her on the train lol

We lucky as my mum's is right near a local theatre aswell so can take them as they grow up

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Our daughter will be 6 soon, we taking her to see frozen for her bday but at a local theatre, very reasonable and also saves dragging her on the train lol

We lucky as my mum's is right near a local theatre as well so can take them as they grow up
It seemed compulsory for girls to wear a frozen dress.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've got tickets to see 'An Evening With Jeff Stelling' at the end of May. Looking forward to it. I’ve got a month to think of a novel and intelligent question.......

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Now back from Hamilton. I know the original cast recording so well that the live cast in parts just sounded ‘not right’. Two important characters I just disliked. One of them fell I’ll and got replaced during the interval.

The king was brilliant.

Possibly unfair because in most other plays I am just not familiar with the original cast as much as I am with such a new musical.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Now back from Hamilton. I know the original cast recording so well that the live cast in parts just sounded ‘not right’. Two important characters I just disliked. One of them fell I’ll and got replaced during the interval.

The king was brilliant.

Possibly unfair because in most other plays I am just not familiar with the original cast as much as I am with such a new musical.

have also listened to the cast recording many, many times and do prefer hearing it ‘live’ (either actually in the theatre or on the Disney+ recording).

only character I was disappointed in was Angelica Schuyler who seemed pretty ‘breathy’ and was in stark contrast to Renee Elise Goldsberry‘s performance. Everyone else was pretty good I thought

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Smaller scale, I was at The Phoenix Theatre in Blyth last night, An Evening with Jeff Stelling. Smashing little theatre and Jeff was on good form. Lots of good Soccer Saturday stories, sports stories from the past.

Best fact of the night. Wrexham were not the first choice for Rob and Ryan, hartlepool were 😳. They had a shortlist, they loved the monkey story, they spoke to Jeff as a middle man. Bid was put in, the owner turned it down 2-3 times. Oops.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In London yesterday for Shirley Valentine at The Duke of York’s. Sheridan Smith superb doing the Willy Russell 1hr45m monologue. A very sparse couple of sets - one a 1970s decor Liverpool kitchen, the other a Greek beach - OK a rock, a towel and a table, provided a perfect stage for Smith voicing all the characters, characters we (who have seen the film) know so well. Smith totally carried it off. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Last edited: