The Weekly Wager

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Following on from another post where the level of money involved was questioned, I wondered what is the usual side wager for all of you at the weekend.

For me it is usually £6.00 split up in £2.00 for the front and back 9 and £2.00 overall. Sometimes add bits to that. The alternative is £5.00 if it is straight matchplay.

These are not enough to break the bank but keep it interesting and any winnings usually end up behind the bar in any event.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Unless I'm playing in my regular 4ball I won't play for money. Not only have I been stung by these guys off high teen-mid 20 handicaps playing to 10-12 ("I don't normally play this well" - yeah right!!!) but I tend to get so focussed on winning the cash my game goes off.

If I am going to play for anything it'll be for the first drink after. Don't see the need to have money on it to keep it intersting. The way I'm playing is more than interesting enough for me right now

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
pound front, pound back and pound overall in pairs. We put each of our 4 balls into a hat and throw them up, teams are who ever is closest to eachother when they land.
There is also a sunday game amongst the fourball, 4-2-1 where the winner at the hole gets 4 points, second gets 2, third gets 1 and 4th gets zilch. If the hole is halved the points concerned get added together and split equally.
Then theres 50p skins, noone ever wins the heap so its quite fair.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Good thread!

I play in 3 swindles with very differing ideas on the stakes.

1. £5 in the pot for the overall stableford winner,we tend to play for £5 better ball in our 4 ball which covers this. Net effect being you could lose £10 max.The winner buys a round of drinks and if we have more than 12 we pay a second place,generally your money back plus £5/£10. I will generally have a couple of side bets in this group as well.

2. £7 in the pot for the stableford winner. Everyone gets 2 drinks and the winner gets £1 per person playing. The balance goes towards subsidising a Summer and Winter bash.

3. £5 in the pot for the stableford winner,£5-£5-£10 with £1 bits in the four ball. Winner take all for the main pot and a fair few side bets also. You can have a very very bad day with these boys if you are not sharp! Played with a mate who got 41 points and lost £30!

My overall feeling is that you should always play for something (not always cash) and that the loss should be enough for it to bother you but not enough for it to ruin your week.

Everyone has a level they are happy with and nobody should be forced into a bet they feel is unfair!

Bossman96

Club Champion
Visit site
Even cheaper, 50p nearest pin on par 3, 50p for a birdie. This is with my brothers. With my usual duo, money doesn't come into it.

barb

Head Pro
Visit site
There is a group of us play once a week, usually 5-10 of us and all regular club members (we also play on club nights), we all put £3 in the pot and when we get back in everyone has a drink (paid for by the pot) and whats left the winner gets, that way the most you will lose is £3 and you get a drink out of it. :)

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Group of up to twelve of us. We play £1 for each 6 ( so there's always something to focus on) plus £2 for the 18. On the weeks where there is £60 in the pot it does add a frisson! I also keep a nerdy spreadsheet over the year so we can see who is the money list winner. But I can also see the point made in another post regarding this moving focus away from your game.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Canford Ive never even thought of playing the three 6's to be honest, good post. I think playing for a quid (or two) actually helps focus, a bad front nine doesnt mean you are out of the running, having the quid is a spur that keeps you wanting to win that second quid and maybe just maybe, its the ticket to a superb back nine earning you a placing on the club scoresheet that otherwise you might have written off.

ColinR

Head Pro
Visit site
We play groups of four balls, £2.00 per person, the best single stapleford score gets the whole pot. However in the fourballs we are also playing paired matchplay, so the losing pair in the matchplay has to pay the £2.00 fee for the other pair.

I like this as it has a personal target, i.e the stapleford and then a team aspect in the matchplay.

Obviously the person who wins the stapleford is expected to get the drinks in !!!

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played for the first time for money on friday and I was playing four-ball best ball matchplay 50p a hole paid from each player to the opposing team. A lot of the holes were halved so I escaped without losing much. To be honest I found it strange how such a minute amount of money heaped on the pressure, although I played a bit better than I have been recently so it was fairly positive. I still ended up on the losing team though. As a rule I don't have a wager although this is probably because I don't have a regular group that I play with as such, just two guys who I play with 2 or 3 times in a month.

Ronnoc1980

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
one of 2 games for me either 2's and 20's or 5's 50's which means match play in 2/4 ball or best card in 3 ball. it brakes down like this £2/5 on the game and 20p/50p bits which you win bits for nearest pins on par 3's, birdie and then double bits for anything better and getting on a par 4 in one pays double.

WGC

Medal Winner
Visit site
My friend and I take on our dads for 5 euro each in strokes. we play once a week and usually take home the winnings. But for us the winnings dont end up in the pub at the club but in the piggy bank for a new club or gear.