The Unspoken Ones

Philm

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Mount Ober Belfast, poor course, maybe i played it on the wrong day but greens were packed with sand, and there is a succession of silly par threes that cross over eachother.

nasty course not very well kept. 3/10

and there is ardminnan near cloughey. it dont think its so much of a golf course as it is a couple of fields. (good to learn on though)

Phil

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Can't ever remember playing a goat track, but do like to read reviews on courses before i play them. Was disappointed when i played new 9 at Silvermere years ago. It was just a big field. No doubt has matured now, and the original 9 holes were excellent. Good clubhouse and pro shop as well. If this is my biggest golf course disappointment i will be well pleased. ;)

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tilsworth and Hollingbury

Tilsworth is near Dunstable and the worst I have been on. Someone told them that golf courses have 18 holes so they shoehorned them in. One of those places where hole follows hole all along the boundary hedge, reaches the top and turns round. It may have been a half decent 9-hole once, it definitely is in no way a decent 18. It does have one redeeming feature, some range facilities beyond those of other, much better, courses.

I apologise to James and Chris (and was it Kenny?) for this one. I was born nearby so they joined me there in order to satisfy a (warped) ambition. My memories were of a far better course, sculpted around great clumps of gorse and sitting up on the chalk above Brighton. That was before the car burn-outs. The Council I think gave up on it, it is a course that has suffered from too much neglect for too long. I won't go back - death of childhood memories.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Why do so many reasonable 9 holers expand with a really rubbish new nine?

Silvermere fits into this, as does Leighton Buzzard. After about 50 years the new nine matures, but it always stands out like a sore thumb as being different, and not of the same quality.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tilsworth and Hollingbury
I apologise to James and Chris (and was it Kenny?) for this one Hollingbury. I was born nearby so they joined me there in order to satisfy a (warped) ambition. My memories were of a far better course, sculpted around great clumps of gorse and sitting up on the chalk above Brighton. That was before the car burn-outs. The Council I think gave up on it, it is a course that has suffered from too much neglect for too long. I won't go back - death of childhood memories.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
No need to apologise Steve, I was happy to play there that day.

I was a member there for 2 or 3 years and needed to jog my memory as to why I left... I remember now :D

In a way it was nice to say a final farewell. I think I can safely say that I'll NEVER play there again.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Silveremere hasn't got any better really. The holes over the road are for the most part pretty bland still. They changed the 18th a few years ago to make it an island green in front of the clubhouse which is always good for a giggle if you are having some lunch. Not a huge fan of any of the par 3's either.

Expensive for what it is and very slow still. Always full of Far Eastern atgani's (all the gear and no idea). Even if there is a queue and they nobble it 20 yards each no thought of letting anyoe through and so the tone is set

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Think i will give Silvermere a wide birth then Homer. Been to quite a few seminars there, and always like a look round the pro shop afterwards. Will stick to my favourite course in the area St Georges Hill. ;)

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Avisford Park GC - attached to a Hilton hotel just outside of Arundel. Absolutely dire with no natural features, boring layout and full of once a year hackers who have managed to escape form the missus on a 'romantic break' :D :D

Played Silvermere a copuple of weeks age and was very disappointed. I have never been so bored standing on each tee of the back nine. The final hol;e is a bit of a joke as well IMO.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
For many years we used to play Silvermere between Xmas and New Year as a society. Most years the lake was always frozen on 17, so you could always bump and run onto the green :)

I remember one year where we started out with deep frost and finished in arctic blizzard.

Never did like the island green on 18 - if you dont hit the precise distance with your tee shot you dont get a shot at the green.

if anyone could ever organise a meet at St Georges Hill then count me in

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Avisford Park GC - attached to a Hilton hotel just outside of Arundel. Absolutely dire with no natural features, boring layout and full of once a year hackers who have managed to escape form the missus on a 'romantic break'

I played a knockout match here earlier this year. What an absolute dump of a course. Not quite the worst course I have ever played but certainly in my "top 3" of goat tracks.
The back 9 in particular has to be played to be believed.
The only saving grace was it's easy access to the A27 dual carriageway and the reasonably fast journey home.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Just one what is it you don't like about Tilgate, apart from the barmaid who doesn't know her own menu I love the place. Punishing as hell in the summer, hard work in the winter

I too enjoy Tilgate whenever I play there, I don't know what James hates about it so much. Some lovely holes (OK there are a couple of duff 'uns) in beautiful tree lined surroundings.
Have never played it in the depths of winter so can't comment as to how it holds up during the wetter months, but if you pick your time to go over there, you won't play many better courses for a similar green fee.
The only bad things I have heard about the place are complete novices being let loose and not letting quicker groups through although I've never experienced this myself. For a municipal it is a great layout and I generally enjoy playing there.

I've never played it, but my old school backed into the forest and we used to do cross country runs through the forest.......

Didn't really take up golf until I'd moved away from there.