The swing plane

The_Golfer

Club Champion
Visit site
Dear friends of GM, no doubt you have all heard about the swing plane... even Luther Blakelock or whatever his name is, has made lots of dosh from inventing the "explainar":the revolutionary golfing aid endorsed by Butch, one of the worlds best coaches!
Well I believed I have, by some fortunate way of trying hard to find the "swing plane", found the answer without having to spend lots of your hard earned dosh, but I need this verifying by testing this with other golfers, hence this communication....
It relates only to those who can athletically address the ball.....and for those who can grip the club properly.....(sorry high handicapers)
Without a club, assume your position and put your hands together as if you were praying with your hands pointing downwards towards the ball; crossing your right thumb over your left....
Now, noting your left arm is straight, with control coming from your right hand, try turning your shoulder so that your right arm becomes horizontal to the ground, with the back of the left hand facing forwards....Do this with control...i.e. slowly
After this, simply continue the turning motion, with the right hand controlling the movement, until you find the "top" of the swing: for those who follow this correctly you will know what I mean..... (this can be done at home!!!)
Now ensure the downswing is easy.....ensure your right hand takes control from the moment it reaches your sternham on your downswing.... watch it fly..straight......

I have discovered this "method" only three days ago: I did a shot this Sunday, my second shot was 155-160 yards to the hole, the fairway was uphill, very uphill, and therefore the true distance was about 175 yards: With a five iron I placed it perfectly: 4 1/2 ft left of the hole, 1 ft past: what a peach!!!!!!!!

Please, please, golfers try this method and let me know how you get on....any good tips from elsewhere are very welcome...

Cheers

Danny

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
results sound great - I'm often getting very laid off at the top so will try it when I'm at the range on Tuesday night!

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
I like this detail Danny - only recently got into practising (always thought it was easier being a natural...until the scores started mounting!) but will be offf to check out your advice this week.....watch this space!

The_Golfer

Club Champion
Visit site
Sorry chaps, looks like a slight error on my advice...

When turning your shoulder it is your "left" arm that should be parrallel to the ground, also your left arm should remain straight throughout the backswing and on the downswing until just after you have struck the ball...

I await any results, good or bad.....

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Danny,

I've had a crack at your method - it's certainly stopped me slicing the ball. However, I feel as if I'm really laid off at the top of the backswing (I reckon the clubhead is pointing miles left of the target). And so I'm a little bit reluctant to stick with it.

Am I doing it right... please advise

The_Golfer

Club Champion
Visit site
Chippin, good to see the slice is being eliminated,however if a friend confirms you are aiming left of the target then you are either not getting your left shoulder "under" your chin or else you are moving out of position on the backswing, if it's the latter make sure your feet are firm to the ground with the inner-sides pushing slightly outwards, this will hinder any unwanted movement and then you'll be on plane for sure.....