The right shot?

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm going to be slightly different.

If your 49* is a PW, like mine, then I assumed it's got a nice big sole.

I would play a bump and run type shot, where I don't move my arms, just rotate my shoulders and keep the arms still. It's a fairly low shot, so would aim to land it 4ish feet before the green, ready to sit down and dribble on. Bad shot is either it runs past = 2 putt, or it stays in the semi and needs a gentle chip, which I quite like doing.

Not saying it works for you, but it's how I like it. No way would I feel comfortable hitting a fuller shot with a 58*. Probably why I'm a high handicapper!

I read his description of the shot as dropping it short of the green for a bump and run is not an option, because it needs to be more or less carried onto the green.

Do you have a short game practice are at your club? Go and chuck some balls in the rough and practice this shot, you will find it is not a difficult one to play, it just takes confidence. Just get out a lofted club, swing steeply and pop it up, but remember to take a short backswing and hit it hard.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Today was the perfect day to try out the shot. Course was dead, and the sun was shining. Shame the buggers had cut the grass down in half!
Them flop shots do look the part when hit right. Hit some really well, but don't know how many times I seemed to slide under the ball without hitting it. Really tough to commit to, but the most fun 20 minutes Ive had playing on my own for a long time :eek:

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well done. Yes it can be tricky if the ball is actually sitting up a bit and and it's easy to go under it. In that situation I would still take my SW but would keep the blade a bit squarer and try not to swing too steeply with an easy tempo to try to ensure a good contact. Not an easy shot by any means though.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
Today was the perfect day to try out the shot. Course was dead, and the sun was shining. Shame the buggers had cut the grass down in half!
Them flop shots do look the part when hit right. Hit some really well, but don't know how many times I seemed to slide under the ball without hitting it. Really tough to commit to, but the most fun 20 minutes Ive had playing on my own for a long time :eek:

It used to happen to me fairly regularly too but the more I practice the less that seems to happen. Maybe that is the confidence allowing me to commit to the shot. Keep your weight more on your left and don't try to scoop the ball hit down into it and let the open face do it's job. It is alot of fun like you said especially when you do it in match play.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It used to happen to me fairly regularly too but the more I practice the less that seems to happen. Maybe that is the confidence allowing me to commit to the shot. Keep your weight more on your left and don't try to scoop the ball hit down into it and let the open face do it's job. It is alot of fun like you said especially when you do it in match play.

Weight left is the problem here.

When you slide under the ball its sitting up slightly. What you actually want to do is CENTRE your weight. Its the leaning forward that drives the club and low point of the swing in front of the ball. Swipe, no contact!

Great bit of advice from Mickelson secrets of the short game.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
any thoughts of how to play this?

Play it to land on the pin..... 20ft past is on the green, 20ft short isn't.

Getting cute on the course costs amateurs the most shots, despite what you see on TV (the best players in the world) the pros don't get as close to the hole as often as you might think. They manage their shots better.... and YET we still see them flubbing chips and missing shot putts... so manage your expectations better and you'll play better shots.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Play it to land on the pin..... 20ft past is on the green, 20ft short isn't.

Getting cute on the course costs amateurs the most shots, despite what you see on TV (the best players in the world) the pros don't get as close to the hole as often as you might think. They manage their shots better.... and YET we still see them flubbing chips and missing shot putts... so manage your expectations better and you'll play better shots.

wise words james. We can all sit here and try to describe how to play the heroic shot, but getting it on the green is the most important thing. Got more chance of getting it in the hole from a 20 foot putt than 20 foot from the crap.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
wise words james. We can all sit here and try to describe how to play the heroic shot, but getting it on the green is the most important thing. Got more chance of getting it in the hole from a 20 foot putt than 20 foot from the crap.

I don't think the shot described is a hero shot or trying a shot that is low percentage. It is a fairly easy shot to control with a little practice. It reduces the chance of a duff and a thin by opening the face it lets the club run smoothly through the long grass. Also because it pops up high and lands fairly softly you can throw it at the flag and not risk landing it in the fringe.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
Weight left is the problem here.

When you slide under the ball its sitting up slightly. What you actually want to do is CENTRE your weight. Its the leaning forward that drives the club and low point of the swing in front of the ball. Swipe, no contact!

Great bit of advice from Mickelson secrets of the short game.

I have watched that dvd a dozen times or more and can't remember him warning against having your weight slightly forward. Surely hanging back and helping lift the ball is more damaging than being more on the left and getting the face into the back of the ball.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think the shot described is a hero shot or trying a shot that is low percentage. It is a fairly easy shot to control with a little practice. It reduces the chance of a duff and a thin by opening the face it lets the club run smoothly through the long grass. Also because it pops up high and lands fairly softly you can throw it at the flag and not risk landing it in the fringe.

I wouldn't say it is an easy shot to control, any shot out of deep rough has certain amount of unpredictability to it. I think what I was trying to say was play the right shot but make sure you get it on, do not leave it in the crap by trying to get too close.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have watched that dvd a dozen times or more and can't remember him warning against having your weight slightly forward. Surely hanging back and helping lift the ball is more damaging than being more on the left and getting the face into the back of the ball.

Here is the same info that is on the DVD.
[video=youtube;C5ophbTUY7s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5ophbTUY7s[/video]

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
Fair enough I think I must skip that section nowadays as not a shot I would ever look to try as even Phil says it is low percentage even for him. Would that not be a different shot than the one we are describing though? That is the full power ridiculous lob shot sat on 1/2 an inch of fluffy grass and just 5 foot to work with. With the ball sat down in 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 inches of rough and 15-20 foot or more to the flag I would be looking to make a solid if oblique contact with the back of the ball and not pass completely underneath. Then just let the open face pop it up in the air.

Phil has the face wide open with the back flat I just have it open a few degrees with feet closed to match, also Phil has like 90% of his weight forward on that first lob where I would just have my usual amount for a chip of about 60-40. I have a tendency to fall back on all of my shots so what works for me to fix that fault may not work for others who don't.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
He says its high tariff, although he also says he has practiced it so many times he knows exactly how the ball will react in different situations.

The same technique works with a lower wedge than Phil is using. He is using a 64. Most of us only carry a 60 at most. I don't lay it as open as Phil as we usually have to carry it that bit further. I also play a similar shot with my sand wedge. Depending on how much open it should control the height and distance.

Dave was sliding under the ball in the OP so even thought the ball was nestled down, it was still raised off the ground. With his weight forward that is why he sometimes went right under the ball.

You really shouldn't be falling back on chip shots. If you are, you should do a bit of work to get rid of that. In essence, that is trying to help the ball into the air, not trusting the loft to do its job.

Last edited: