The right shot?

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all, I've been left with the same shot the last few times I've played, yet I still have no idea of playing it (also not really any place to practise)

Ball at the side of the green in rough approx 30 feet from the hole. sitting down, thickish grass, prob around 2.5". Followed by 10' feet of lush semi. Flag approx 5 paces on.

My normal aim is a 49 wedge to land just on the green and let the ball run out. My actual shot is a duff into the semi.

I have fears of playing it too hard with the wedge, therefore prob decelerating on the downswing and not committing to the shot. And of thinning an attempted bump and run, ending up the other side of the green.

any thoughts of how to play this?

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
Hi all, I've been left with the same shot the last few times I've played, yet I still have no idea of playing it (also not really any place to practise)

Ball at the side of the green in rough approx 30 feet from the hole. sitting down, thickish grass, prob around 2.5". Followed by 10' feet of lush semi. Flag approx 5 paces on.

My normal aim is a 49 wedge to land just on the green and let the ball run out. My actual shot is a duff into the semi.

I have fears of playing it too hard with the wedge, therefore prob decelerating on the downswing and not committing to the shot. And of thinning an attempted bump and run, ending up the other side of the green.

any thoughts of how to play this?

I would be playing it a bit like a bunker shot. Open the face slightly and turn your feet so the leading edge is square to target. You can then be aggressive with the swing and not decelerate. Ball slightly forward in stance, swing along the target line and drive the wedge behind the ball and it 'should' pop up high and soft. I would also be using my 58* not my gap wedge for this one.

D

Deleted Member 1156

The situation you describe is not really what I would call a 'get down in 2' situation. My advice would be to forget about the flag and just make sure you get the ball onto the green and leave yourself a good 2 putt (at worst) opportunity :thup:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
So a 30 foot shot and you need to carry the ball 15 foot. Normally a Wedge would be a good choice. But this is how I see the shot:

You can't afford to hit it too far as it will fly past the hole. Sitting in deep lush tough it is not going to get a lot of backspin and it is almost certain to release. For me you need to get some airtime to get it coming down soft and try to land it 2/3 paces on. This will give you more margin for error if you it does not come out well it will still get onto the green. Like mulligan said, play it like a bunker shot, short backswing and hit it firm so the club doesn't get snagged up. Commit to the shot and it will pop up, land on the green and run out.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I get a lot of shots like this at my course. Absolutely agree that the best option in my experience is to play it like a bunker shot and make sure you don't decelerate.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Great advice guys :thup:

Did anyone notice in the OP's sig that he plays off 24?

Davemc1.......keep it simple mate, play the percentages :thup:

elliottlale

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I would be playing it a bit like a bunker shot. Open the face slightly and turn your feet so the leading edge is square to target. You can then be aggressive with the swing and not decelerate. Ball slightly forward in stance, swing along the target line and drive the wedge behind the ball and it 'should' pop up high and soft. I would also be using my 58* not my gap wedge for this one.

Same as this!! Open hips/feet and nice smooth full swing with face nice and open ensuring good flow through

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
yep, open face, 56 wedge, hitting about half an inch behind the ball and trying to throw it about 3/4 of the way to the hole! half way back, all the way through chopping motion!

as mentioned above. lower expectations of the shot. you are in a spot of bother. it may or may not come out as you wish. best hope is to at least give yourself a chance at making the putt!

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nice one people, must be good advice cos everyone's saying the same thing. Il have to get the 58 out of semi retirement and give it a bash :thup:

just realised that'll put me in the 4 wedge carrying bracket....

Last edited:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Aim for anywhere on the green and two putt (hopefully) from there. Reduce expectations and commit to the shot

Probably spot on Homer. Sometimes you have to accept that there is no way of getting it close. Some of lads will vouch for that from when we were at Bearwood Lakes and Mizzy was having a coorporate day there, which had Donald and another couple of Tour Pros there. Anyway they had them playing different shots around the green that us mere mortals find difficult and also talking is though them. The final shot they played not one of them could chip it dead, no matter how they played the shot.

Afterwards we had a chance to speak to them and I asked Donald about that shot and he said the only way to have got it to stop close was to hit the flag. So sometimes I think you have just got to get it on the green and take your chances with your putter.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Depends on the lie. Decent lie and I'm going for the Hollywood flop shot with my lob wedge laid waaaay open.
Ball sitting down and I'm still using lob wedge but am playing a more traditional pitch just aiming to land it on the green and expecting it to release past the flag, maybe get lucky and hit the hole.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
with any green side chip. if you are in long grass or blocked out by a tree, just try and give yourself a putt. be it a 20 footer, its still miles better than hitting a 2nd chip.

I try to tell myself this at times when I am in the do do! it is easier said that done. you sometimes try to chase the par and end up with a double when it should be bogey at worst.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The situation you describe is not really what I would call a 'get down in 2' situation. My advice would be to forget about the flag and just make sure you get the ball onto the green and leave yourself a good 2 putt (at worst) opportunity :thup:

Yup - I'd be aiming to get it onto the putting surface - nothing else and not trying to be too clever. You can hole always hole a long putt.

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm going to be slightly different.

If your 49* is a PW, like mine, then I assumed it's got a nice big sole.

I would play a bump and run type shot, where I don't move my arms, just rotate my shoulders and keep the arms still. It's a fairly low shot, so would aim to land it 4ish feet before the green, ready to sit down and dribble on. Bad shot is either it runs past = 2 putt, or it stays in the semi and needs a gentle chip, which I quite like doing.

Not saying it works for you, but it's how I like it. No way would I feel comfortable hitting a fuller shot with a 58*. Probably why I'm a high handicapper!