The Queen

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not wanting to start a discussion on the rights or wrongs of Harry, but this was grandchildren paying respect to their grandmother so why did any have to be in uniform. I have left the RAF after 33 yers and wouldn’t expect to wear my old uniform to a funeral so why should Harry?
You are entitled to wear your uniform at a funeral although it's a personal choice and not compulsory.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So heart warming to see the people paying their respects in huge numbers. The idea this country doesn't want or need the monarchy has been shown to be nonsense.

I'll be heading into London with a big group from football to pay our respects Monday. Give her a grand old send off in true British style.
The silent majority doing what they do best.

Swango1980

Visit site
Not wanting to start a discussion on the rights or wrongs of Harry, but this was grandchildren paying respect to their grandmother so why did any have to be in uniform. I have left the RAF after 33 yers and wouldn’t expect to wear my old uniform to a funeral so why should Harry?
Firstly, the funeral is tomorrow, not the other day when Harry was wearing his military uniform.

Secondly, it is quite clear many of the activities are ceremonial. It is about respecting the tradition of the Royal Family and British tradition and values. And, it is blatant to see what all this means to millions of British people (and even to those globally).

So, to compare what the Royal Family do after the passing of a monarch, to what we may do, and wear to a funeral is futile. Just a million world's apart. For example, if my grandmother passed away, I doubt I'd be asked to stand around her coffin with my cousins, a few days before the funeral, whilst all of my local community walk past to pay their respects.

D

Deleted member 23270

I think that's a stretch. I think ERII is held in much greater esteem than the institution of monarchy itself but I guess we'll see in the upcoming weeks once we get through the mourning period.
I disagree, Charles will make a good king and William and Kate have endeared themselves to the public.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We went down to Winchester this afternoon for lunch. Afterwards we took the opportunity to go into the cathedral. Open and entrance charge waived. Lots of flowers laid outside entrance by the public. Was busy with much in the way set up in remembrance of Her Majesty and a steady stream of folks signing the books of condolence set up in the nave.

Also many seemed to be taking the opportunity to sit and reflect or perhaps say their words or prayers of thanks…accompanied by quiet choral music. A very respectful and thoughtful quiet was observed by all - with little in the way of ‘touristic’ photography in evidence.

I’m no great royalist/monarchist but for personal reasons I’ve already posted on I found it all rather moving.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No your not, the only military garb veterans are “entitled” to wear at a function (not a funeral), is mess kit if you have one.
Yes you are.
When I retired my Commission I was informed I was entitled to wear my dress uniform at funerals and state occasions.

Last edited:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I think that's a stretch. I think ERII is held in much greater esteem than the institution of monarchy itself but I guess we'll see in the upcoming weeks once we get through the mourning period.

To be expected, she's been the guv for longer than most of us have been breathing! And done a grand job of it.

Generally, I wouldn't expect many folk in such a massive queue to be pro ER2, but not in favour of monarchy. It's not like walking down the Mall to see what's going on. An 18 hour queue takes commitment.

Her successors will be judged on their record. As Harvey Pennick put it, "Don't judge in haste, even God waits till the end!"

Last edited: