The Putter

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Putter 'technology' is not a real thing !
The 'tech' hokum takes in a lot of people on drivers, but surely nobody believes it on putters ???

And :
- good putters find that their putter behaves and so it tends to stay in the bag.
- poor putters (and those taken in by marketing) always feel they just-dont-get-on-with their putter, and are ever searching for The One.
As a fitter I couldn't agree less. The number of people I see who's putter is completely wrong for them is unbelievable. Wrong length, stroke type & loft. Plenty of benefit to a putter fitting for most people.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't understand why anyone would want to have several putters and chop and change every time. Surely you find the one that's the right weight, balance etc for you and stick with it? How else do you get consistency?

I used the same Odyssey Versa Tank wide blade for almost five years. I got fitted for it back then, and I liked it and stuck with it all that time. Eventually had my head turned by Evnroll though and the rave reviews they always seem to get. Last September on my birthday I got the ER3 Wing Blade with gravity grip. I didn't get fitted again, but it's similar to my old Odyssey in length, style, weight and balance (toe-hang). It's also more upright in lie angle than the Odyssey which is good as it's forced me to get my head more over the ball than before (with the old one I was nowhere near). The gravity grip feels great, and while there has been some doubting of putter technology in this thread, I was hoodwinked by the grooves on the face that apparently help you out when you putt off line by gearing the ball back in slightly (although this has been backed up in reviews).

The Odyssey is in my wife's bag now. Annoyingly she likes it or I would have sold it by now. ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Putter 'technology' is not a real thing !
The 'tech' hokum takes in a lot of people on drivers, but surely nobody believes it on putters ???

And :
- good putters find that their putter behaves and so it tends to stay in the bag.
- poor putters (and those taken in by marketing) always feel they just-dont-get-on-with their putter, and are ever searching for The One.
If you replace 'technology' with 'attributes', then I'm certain there's a putter style that's 'best' for every individual. Even just considering body attributes - I'm short legged, long armed for example - means 'off the shelf' putters may not optimum. And that's even before actually considering the type of stroke or hand action that is 'natural'. For me, a (33") Centre-shafted putter works far better than the likes of a (pure) Blade style as it reduces my tendency to 'flap'.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
As a fitter I couldn't agree less. The number of people I see who's putter is completely wrong for them is unbelievable. Wrong length, stroke type & loft. Plenty of benefit to a putter fitting for most people.
And can actually gain more strokes than from a Driver fitting!

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I can't remember Ping making a Golden Goose style, might it have been a Bullseye?

But whatever it was, you can't go wrong with a Golden Goose, the original and best.
..and Ping's idea of the name Anser was that it is the Latin for goose.
Hence Anser was their answer to Golden Goose.

badgermat

Club Champion
Visit site
Getting back to the original question ... I have two putters.

A cheap Hippo thing (half or one-third mallet, a bit like a wide Ping Anser) that came with my first set of clubs but stayed in use long after the other clubs had been discarded.

A Ping Sigma-G Darby that I've used for the last four or five years. It's ugly as sin, but seems to work okay.

I really want a decent 8802 style putter, but every time I try one my putting goes to ***. Hmmm.

bm

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I can't understand why anyone would want to have several putters and chop and change every time. Surely you find the one that's the right weight, balance etc for you and stick with it? How else do you get consistency?

You're not wrong but the difference over a round between "the one" and changing every week is likely to be less than you'd imagine, maybe a shot or two at worst.

My putting stats from 18 recorded rounds last year (not including putter used from off the green) gave me an average of 32.2 per round, best was 27, worst was 41.

RichA

Visit site

I used the same Odyssey Versa Tank wide blade for almost five years. I got fitted for it back then, and I liked it and stuck with it all that time. Eventually had my head turned by Evnroll though and the rave reviews they always seem to get. Last September on my birthday I got the ER3 Wing Blade with gravity grip. I didn't get fitted again, but it's similar to my old Odyssey in length, style, weight and balance (toe-hang). It's also more upright in lie angle than the Odyssey which is good as it's forced me to get my head more over the ball than before (with the old one I was nowhere near). The gravity grip feels great, and while there has been some doubting of putter technology in this thread, I was hoodwinked by the grooves on the face that apparently help you out when you putt off line by gearing the ball back in slightly (although this has been backed up in reviews).

The Odyssey is in my wife's bag now. Annoyingly she likes it or I would have sold it by now. ?
I wish I didn't have to, but I regularly switch between my Odyssey 2-ball, Ping Anser and Ping B60.
When the 2-ball isn't working for me it's dreadful and I need to reset with an old Ping.
Also, if I'm carrying a half-set in my moonlight bag, I throw a Ping in the bag so I'm not faffing about with a head cover.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I wish I didn't have to, but I regularly switch between my Odyssey 2-ball, Ping Anser and Ping B60.
When the 2-ball isn't working for me it's dreadful and I need to reset with an old Ping.
Also, if I'm carrying a half-set in my moonlight bag, I throw a Ping in the bag so I'm not faffing about with a head cover.

Know the feeling. The Odyssey protype #9 is milled and a lovely feel and when its on its a thing of joy. Trouble is I can struggle with short putts and confidence wains. Next defaual is the Cadence Anser but a tad light so struggles on long putts on wet winter greens. The final option is the Odyssey two ball fang in red and white. Stable but in and out all of the time. I am getting my original Anser 2 (C1983) reshafted back to 34" and a new grip and going to give that a go. Our putting green is shut at the moment so can't really work on the 3-5 footers and find one to stick with

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Odyssey O Works #7 - 35 inches as im quite tall.

Lovely little putter. Great markings for lining up. Lovely feel and sound off the face.

£120 brand new - no complaints here!

Maybe would look to add a "forever" putter in the bag one day but im in no rush to change one bit.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Odyssey O Works #7 - 35 inches as im quite tall.

Lovely little putter. Great markings for lining up. Lovely feel and sound off the face.

£120 brand new - no complaints here!

Maybe would look to add a "forever" putter in the bag one day but im in no rush to change one bit.
Putter prices have gone through the roof in recent years. When I bought my old Odyssey back in Jan 2017 it was around £140, which at the time felt like pushing the boat out a bit. But my Evnroll I got last year cost almost double that - and that was on a good deal, most of them are another 100 on top of that. Even the latest Odyssey that's roughly equivalent to what I had costs over 300 quid now.

I don't know, I just think if you're chopping and changing it's certainly possible that none of them are right for you - there could be another style of putter out there that ticks all the boxes and then you can stick with it. Did you ever do a putter fitting? Even though mine was over 5 years ago it just clarified in my mind what style, weight, length & balance of putter I wanted and I knew I'd stick with that type. Never fancied mallets or anything as I don't like looking at them. If I have a bad putting day, I still know my putter is fine for me and it was just me who couldn't get the speed of the greens that day.

phillarrow

Visit site
Putter prices have gone through the roof in recent years. When I bought my old Odyssey back in Jan 2017 it was around £140, which at the time felt like pushing the boat out a bit. But my Evnroll I got last year cost almost double that - and that was on a good deal, most of them are another 100 on top of that. Even the latest Odyssey that's roughly equivalent to what I had costs over 300 quid now.

I don't know, I just think if you're chopping and changing it's certainly possible that none of them are right for you - there could be another style of putter out there that ticks all the boxes and then you can stick with it. Did you ever do a putter fitting? Even though mine was over 5 years ago it just clarified in my mind what style, weight, length & balance of putter I wanted and I knew I'd stick with that type. Never fancied mallets or anything as I don't like looking at them. If I have a bad putting day, I still know my putter is fine for me and it was just me who couldn't get the speed of the greens that day.

This, in my opinion, is one of the benefits of a fitting. I know there are some on the forum who are vehemently against any suggestion that fittings and/or new stuff actually works, but having that knowledge that the clubs 'fits' you does make it easier to accept that you are the problem - at least it does for me anyway. Whenever I'm having a good driving say, I wonder if there's an element of luck involved. Whenever I'm having a bad day (which happens too often!) I wonder if a well-fitted driver could have made it less bad! Even if there's nothing else to it, I would say that this makes the fitting worth the time and money.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I can't understand why anyone would want to have several putters and chop and change every time. Surely you find the one that's the right weight, balance etc for you and stick with it? How else do you get consistency
Especially when you're swapping between face-balanced, slight toe hang and full toe hang......
They're all going to feel very different and the rate of face closure will be too...

Boomy

Visit site
I’m not sure if the rifle scope alignment counts as ‘technology’ or ‘mumbo jumbo’ as one of the regular naysayers refers too but it certainly works well for me - It was a game changer from the start.

679A3F56-D727-49B0-9F0C-A67300253E4A.jpeg
My plan is that this is my ‘forever’ putter, as I did once over chop and change with my old Odyssey 2-ball. I’ve added about 3 swing weights to the Seemore as I’ve always preferred a heavier putter, working very well, long may it last ?? A notable point though, is that they’re both face balanced, and centre shafted - for me, that is the way!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This, in my opinion, is one of the benefits of a fitting. I know there are some on the forum who are vehemently against any suggestion that fittings and/or new stuff actually works, but having that knowledge that the clubs 'fits' you does make it easier to accept that you are the problem - at least it does for me anyway. Whenever I'm having a good driving say, I wonder if there's an element of luck involved. Whenever I'm having a bad day (which happens too often!) I wonder if a well-fitted driver could have made it less bad! Even if there's nothing else to it, I would say that this makes the fitting worth the time and money.
That's pretty much exactly what I got out of it. Didn't expect to find the magic wand that makes every putt unmissable, but it is at least the opportunity to try multiple different styles out, see the results backed up by a bit of data, and end up with something that not only feels right, but as you say, gives you the confidence that it is right.

Especially when you're swapping between face-balanced, slight toe hang and full toe hang......
They're all going to feel very different and the rate of face closure will be too...
Yeah exactly. One of my good mates does this, he has about three putters on the go and seems to rotate them at random. One of them is a SeeMore, another one is a big toe-hang mallet, another one is centre-shafted! Does my head in, I've no idea how he expects to putt consistently. Some days he even putts brilliantly, but it will still be changed for another putter next week. Sometimes he even changes his grip as well and uses the pencil/claw grip for a round! Utterly mental. :LOL:

RichA

Visit site
I'm a returner to golf after a 10 year break and was never a regular golfer until Summer 2020. I haven't really got a settled, reliable, repeatable swing established yet with any of my clubs. I'm never quite sure which variation of my swing is going to turn up from one month to the next. Sometimes I just have to pick out from the garage whichever of the clubs I own best matches what's going on when I'm currently on the course.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm a returner to golf after a 10 year break and was never a regular golfer until Summer 2020. I haven't really got a settled, reliable, repeatable swing established yet with any of my clubs. I'm never quite sure which variation of my swing is going to turn up from one month to the next. Sometimes I just have to pick out from the garage whichever of the clubs I own best matches what's going on when I'm currently on the course.
Does any of that really apply to putting though?? How much can really change on your putting stroke? I think you just putt the way you putt. In theory it should be the easiest one to get right. In theory. ?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Does any of that really apply to putting though?? How much can really change on your putting stroke? I think you just putt the way you putt. In theory it should be the easiest one to get right. In theory. ?

And its the only stroke we make as amateurs that has the exact same target size as the very best pros