The pro doesn't always know best

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
If I recall correctly Jim Furyk's dad was a Pro.

If you look at all the top players swings from hip to hip they are mainly the same, Ben Hogan and Doug Saunders being a stark example.......what happens before and after does not matter much IMO.

Absolutely Doon. I've seen Jim Furyk from close up on a couple of occasions and his swing is awesome at the point of strike, my understanding is the high takeaway is caused simply by having his hand too close to his body at set up, so he loops it on the way down as did Sergio when i watched him. However the strike was classic and the sound of club on ball - wow!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
As if the first load of twaddle wasn't bad enough we get a second in the same thread. Well done. :thup: :rofl: :rolleyes:

Actually, there is, generally, a significant difference between the strike of a 'teaching/PGA Pro' and that of a Touring one! So not the same magnitude/degree of twaddle as earlier! And I've been close enough to sufficient of both to notice the difference! Very few 'teaching Pros' make the ground shudder on iron and wedge shots the way most Touring do - and that's even when taking relatively small divots!

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This didn't start out as a "bash the pro" thread. It was more to do with knowing your own game, being familiar with the basics, & working out for yourself through trial & error what works.

Agree, there's something to be said for knowing your own swing

Unfortunately the thread got a bit derailed due to some shall we say 'controversial' comments

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This didn't start out as a "bash the pro" thread. It was more to do with knowing your own game, being familiar with the basics, & working out for yourself through trial & error what works.

Or go to a reputable pro who'll point it out in a few swings.

I'm familiar with the basics and swing fundamentals but would acknowledge a pro would see the fault quicker than I could suss it out myself, he could also give me the drills to work on too rather than me doing trial and error.

Each to their own, I'd suggest your thread heading is unfair on the teaching Pro, they tend to know the swing better than the amateur.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Or go to a reputable pro who'll point it out in a few swings.

I'm familiar with the basics and swing fundamentals but would acknowledge a pro would see the fault quicker than I could suss it out myself, he could also give me the drills to work on too rather than me doing trial and error.

Each to their own, I'd suggest your thread heading is unfair on the teaching Pro, they tend to know the swing better than the amateur.

Tend to agree with the above.

I know when the swing isn't right but I don't always know how to "fix" it. I had the most simple thing pointed out to me during my first lesson in years a couple of months ago and it made an instant and massive difference to my game.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have met a small number of Tour pros who are total planks and don't know the first thing about their swing or the science of playing golf.
I have also met a few coaches/teachers who share the same level of ignorance.
Both tend to get by on the smoke and mirrors and Kings new clothes principle.

The vast majority I have met are quite sound and a small number are quite brilliant.

Golfers who have been playing for a couple of years and think they know better than the average Pro need to take a good look at themselves.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have met a small number of Tour pros who are total planks and don't know the first thing about their swing or the science of playing golf.
I have also met a few coaches/teachers who share the same level of ignorance.
Both tend to get by on the smoke and mirrors and Kings new clothes principle.

The vast majority I have met are quite sound and a small number are quite brilliant.

Golfers who have been playing for a couple of years and think they know better than the average Pro need to take a good look at themselves.

So if yer a 3yr veteran of this wonderful game of ours then does that mean yer good to go ?...:D