The power of being mentally strong.

D

Deleted member 15344

Golf is a different sport though LP. I also played hockey and cricket, far better at those sports than golf, and I loved it when a crowd was there. I got a buzz from it. Hockey in particular is a fast moving sport though and nowhere near as precise as golf. You practice and then play partly on instinct. For golf you have way too long to think about things, far more mechanical things to go wrong. That is where the mental side comes in. The nearest hockey, or football for that matter, gets to golf is when you take a penalty. That pressure moment, that time to think. Very different.

But it's still pressure you put on yourself

What happens if you have a poor round ? Nothing - you go out and play again . It's not a job so playing poorly has little affect on our living lives.

I also played both cricket and hockey in front on big crowds and there was pressure there because if you played poorly you didn't just let one person down

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
1. yep

2. & yep, have & do play in tournaments that have spectators and a couple with the TV folks around

3. don't know too much about the youtube guy - no doubt he's a good teaching pro but that's a whole bunch different to being used to and exposed to any top flight competition on a regular basis

didn't follow whatever the process of the 'Quest' was on youtube but would have put his chances at less than 1% realistically in any pre-qualifier for a major tournament if he as a norm spent his time coaching and making vids

he did though get the goal of putting his business forwards even more which perhaps was the primary driver

the whole mental side, game plans, psr, emotional controls is crucial to be able to handle pressure

can't speak to any knowledge of how much attention is paid to that within magazine publications and the like - my guess would be that there's perhaps more than folks think but it just those are the pieces folks skip over as most folks looking for the missing 'magic bullet' through ' new gear' or a 'technique tip' that's finally going to deliver an answer .....

generally there's a whole bunch of very qualified advice around all areas of the mental side of golf, both prep and practice and play just takes some research and search to find for folks who wish to look into it further

would not say it's folks that care less about winning that succeed, but folks who can manage the emotional pressure side to be able to stay focused on the present, the task of the shot before them at any one time and so give that 'moment' 100% they are the folks who are able to get the job done

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Golf is a different sport though LP. I also played hockey and cricket, far better at those sports than golf, and I loved it when a crowd was there. I got a buzz from it. Hockey in particular is a fast moving sport though and nowhere near as precise as golf. You practice and then play partly on instinct. For golf you have way too long to think about things, far more mechanical things to go wrong. That is where the mental side comes in. The nearest hockey, or football for that matter, gets to golf is when you take a penalty. That pressure moment, that time to think. Very different.

totally agree with this.
I've always played football to a decent enough level and decisions are made in split seconds, also team sports too so far less pressure as an individual.

In golf you start thinking about your next shot the moment you finish the previous one. This can be 5 minutes sometimes (waiting for FC shots, reading putts etc). Once you can hit the ball to a good standard, i'd say around 75% of the game is mental.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Love pressure and having to compete under those conditions. Not always successful but that's the point of the challenge, right? It does help if you're naturally a bit of a show off IMHO. Consider myself very tough mentally but that's not always been the case - I used to be very poor in all honesty. We can learn to flourish in pressurised situations as it's a choice in terms of how we behave. Just need a few ideas and you're away. Incidentally, I've learnt more in tough situations like county matches and national comps by doing both well and badly, than I could possible give credit for.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I hate to say it, but in all honesty I am weak mentally when it comes to golf.
I have stupid thoughts like if I've not putted well for a few round with mates, I start thinking I need to prove myself to them.
I also sometimes think I need to prove myself when I play with strangers.
I think it's all negative and week thinking
Sign me up to a life style coach
⛳️

groundskeeperwilly

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Like a few others on here I played for my country in other sports. Occasionally there were big crowds, it never bothered me (even when I was having a shocker).

Now a group of 3 old geezers watching me on the first tee makes me a bit shaky......

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've read loads of golf psychology books and certainly follow some of the tips and tricks but I'm quite happy in front of a crowd - I really quite enjoyed teeing off in front of a big bunch in the H4h at North Hants with Mike Harris, it concentrates the mind!

Today I found a wrong fairway and got to my ball with another ball next to it belonging to a member who was having a playing lesson with the pro. The pro invited me to play first, a shot about 190 yards over some high trees, I stood over the ball with hybrid, pretty cool and calm and absolutely nutted the shot to 4 foot from the green - I do like an audience!

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
But it's still pressure you put on yourself

What happens if you have a poor round ? Nothing - you go out and play again . It's not a job so playing poorly has little affect on our living lives.

I also played both cricket and hockey in front on big crowds and there was pressure there because if you played poorly you didn't just let one person down

just because you don't get paid to do something doesn't mean you don't feel pressure!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Remember standing on first tee at GM Centenary Final with the snapper crouched down a few feet in front, the who.e GM team watching and most of the other finalists looking on. Felt very nervous but then decided that the worse that could happen was taking out the photographer and I was sure GM could recruit another. Hit it well

I love the feeling in your stomach when you know you are in contention. Doesn't happen enough for me though. When I chop it round, all the pressure has gone anyway. I'm pretty good about hitting a poor shot and moving on without worrying about it. I think that comes from plenty of practice at doing so

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I don't think I feel "pressure" as such as I'm very realistic about my ability.
I know I can hit good, sometimes great shots but I'm also more than capable of hitting rubbish ones.
I may get annoyed if I slice one into the bushes but that's not down to pressure, just annoyance.
Getting your mind into the zone, as the Pros call it, is tricky but I do seem to be able to do it. Noise, talking, shuffling or anything like that doesn't make much difference to me - I'm concentrating on the shot.
If that makes me mentally strong then all well and good but it's not something I aim for.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I love the buzz, and that feeling you can get when you know you have a fantastic score going. Its what you've worked for, and you are where you want to be. What isn't there to like about it.

Equally, when I'm hacking like a dog it becomes a thing of pride. Try and do no worse than buffer. Try and stay below 80/85. Try and finish with a run of pars, maybe sneak a birdie.

And remember to laugh at yourself... no one died, govts didn't topple, wars weren't fought. As I used to say when I was still on the tools, come and spend a day with me in Intensive Care or Theatres and gain a different perspective on what is important.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I love the buzz, and that feeling you can get when you know you have a fantastic score going. Its what you've worked for, and you are where you want to be. What isn't there to like about it.

Equally, when I'm hacking like a dog it becomes a thing of pride. Try and do no worse than buffer. Try and stay below 80/85. Try and finish with a run of pars, maybe sneak a birdie.

And remember to laugh at yourself... no one died, govts didn't topple, wars weren't fought. As I used to say when I was still on the tools, come and spend a day with me in Intensive Care or Theatres and gain a different perspective on what is important.

Fully subscribe to these well articulated points. Makes the game more enjoyable and gives you the best chance to play well. Never worked in IC but can well imagine the insight and perspective it gives you