The Pleasure of Being Fitted Properly

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thought I would pass on my recent experience of being custom fitted. I have supposedly been fitted twice before using static methods, for my irons and for a cloned driver that I bought off the net. You will see in a minute what a disaster that was.

I started out looking for a new driver and got in contact with Orka golf. They only sell through club makers and as every other driver I had purchased was a total disaster, I thought I would give it a go. I emailed them and they put me in touch with a couple of club makers in my area. I booked an appointment with StrikeRight Golf near Northampton and duly pitched up last week. After explaining the the fitting process and dispelling a few myths spread by the larger companies, we measured my clubs. The irons were all about an inch too long and the driver was a whopping 3 inches longer than was recommended. I spent the next hour or so hitting balls with various drivers with different shaft lengths and lofts and we finally reached a combination that I could hit straight. A week later I was picking up my shortened irons, my lengthend lob wedge and my new driver. Out on the course the difference was astounding. Whilst not every shot was dead straight, I was never wider than the light rough.I was even hitting par 3 greens with my irons. As I high handicapper I was a bit nervous that I was getting ideas above my station by going to a professional club maker but I should not have been. I have a full bag of clubs that are right for me and I only had a bill for just over £200.00 (which I covered by ebaying the clubs I no longer needed). All in all, the most worthwhile money I have spend on golf equipment and an experience I would recommend to all.

PS I do not work for either company mentioned and am merely passing on an opinion.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am now down to a 43 inch shaft on my driver. The previous company I used thought that my height 6'2" warranted a 46 inch shaft!! No wonder I could not control the thing. Seriously recommend this process to anyone. There are some good, independent club makers out there who will ensure that you have what you need and it does not involve buying new clubs or buying a premium brand to make use of the service. The bloke I used will build a set of forged irons for less than £400.00.
Would recommend that anyone have a look at www.strikerightgolf.co.uk just to read the articles about fitting on their. They make alot of sense to me at least.

ace_in_the_pack

Medal Winner
Visit site
Good idea to get yourself custom fitted I think

The feeling that you are totally comfortable with whatever club you have in your hands is half the battle so when you see it sitting perfectly on the floor and in your grip its great.

I had my Mizuno MP-32s fitted in March and although my iron play was always a strength it has improved dramatically particularly with my long irons and i have added variety to my game as well as much needed consistency.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Could not agree more. The concerning point, however, was that I thought that I had been fitted twice before and as a beginner I knew no better. I am concerned at the number of companies and manufacturers that are advertising clubs as being custom fitted when the service being provided is nothing of the sort.

ace_in_the_pack

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yeah they often say custom fitted but it tends to just mean that they might make sure you have a stiff shaft instead of regular or something like that, but rarely do they mean the lie, loft, length, etc

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Even when they do bother to measure, they base any adjustments on a couple of standard charts so if I am so tall then I must need the clubs extended no matter whether it makes the clubs unwieldy or more difficult to hit.

jaikba

Visit site
I was custom fitted 3 weeks ago for a set of wilson staff di7 irons at the factory in Irvine, Ayrshire. After hitting several clubs I had it down to Mizuno mx-19 or di7. Took the plunge, basically on the advice of a pro, had them custom fitted. Best move ever, I would recommend it to anyone. Only took 40 minutes and I'm hitting the new irons long and straight. Next move custom fitted for a driver.