The Open on Sky - It's official

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lots of middle aged and older men in lycra riding two abreast and annoying the hell out of me and others. Not many young uns viewed on bikes up here. Surprising really. Big proliferation of expensive bike shops but again they are being bought mainly by older blokes.

Great shout regarding rugby. Junior rugby is very strong at club level.

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The R&A point to golf numbers reducing in recent years whilst the Open and Master were on live telly - now imo the main reason for the drop in golf is people have prioritised where they spend their money - mainly on living and providing for their family

So now the R&A have decided to move the last remaining free to air golf event onto a platform where people have to pay To just watch it!

I don't know how they expect to gain more viewers into the sport when they restrict the people who can watch it

What were the viewing figures for last year? Sky Sports have 6m approx subscribers plus those who have Virgin, BTsport and other platforms.

I personally prefer Sky's sports coverage overall whether it be golf, football, tennis etc and would rather watch the CL final on Sky rather than BBC or ITV

however I do agree for events such as the Open, WC Football etc should also be free-to-air

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Hasn't hit liverpool that's for sure. Kids doing wheelies out on the road is all I've come across.

Its not just the kids though....
I'm over 50 but didnt start playing until I was 30 - missed out on most of Seve but I turned to the game having seen Faldo and Woosie on the box.
Moving The Open to Sky will prevent newcomers of all ages from getting the bug.

D

Deleted member 15344

Rugby is mainly on sky and BT and you get loads of kids up the rugby club watching it with their dadS. Maybe golf clubs with sky need to encourage members to bring their families up to watch the open.

The 6 nations is on BBC so the big rugby in this country is still on free to air

And Rugby Clubs are more "family oriented " - golf clubs not so

U

User62651

Another hugely golf fan disappointed here, I've watched the Open on BBC for 30+ years. I used to get Sky sports years ago just for the golf and thought their team good etc but couldn't justify the cost so packed it in. With a tight household budget and kids it can't be done.

Last year I watched Saturday and Sunday's golf practically all day on BBC as Rory tore it up and it was great, similarly in 2013 when Phil won. Now I'll see some evening highlights but it ain't the same, you need to be involved in the last 18, every shot and every emotion to feel part of it.

Adverts, even limited to 60 sec every 15 mins is still rubbish.

End of a great institution. They call it progress................sigh!

D

Deleted member 15344

What were the viewing figures for last year? Sky Sports have 6m approx subscribers plus those who have Virgin, BTsport and other platforms.

I personally prefer Sky's sports coverage overall whether it be golf, football, tennis etc and would rather watch the CL final on Sky rather than BBC or ITV

however I do agree for events such as the Open, WC Football etc should also be free-to-air

Believe the Open had between 4-5 million each year

When the master comes around the BBC has more watching their feed in Sat and Sun than watch the Sky coverage

I personally prefer the BBC coverage - it doesn't have all the gadgets that Sky does but all the gadget for him cover the poor team of commentators etc

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The 6 nations is on BBC so the big rugby in this country is still on free to air

And Rugby Clubs are more "family oriented " - golf clubs not so

The 6 nation's will be gone from the BBC soon And the BBC do not deserve to keep it as they do not even show club rugby highhighlights. The fact that golf clubs ate not more family friendly is part of the bigger problem and one they need to sort if they want more parents and kids taking up the sport

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Believe the Open had between 4-5 million each year

When the master comes around the BBC has more watching their feed in Sat and Sun than watch the Sky coverage

I personally prefer the BBC coverage - it doesn't have all the gadgets that Sky does but all the gadget for him cover the poor team of commentators etc

I actually prefer the Sky commentary team, although Ken Brown is good

colint

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Lots of middle aged and older men in lycra riding two abreast and annoying the hell out of me and others. Not many young uns viewed on bikes up here. Surprising really. Big proliferation of expensive bike shops but again they are being bought mainly by older blokes.

Great shout regarding rugby. Junior rugby is very strong at club level.

What's annoying about riding 2 abreast ? It's not illegal ?

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The 6 nation's will be gone from the BBC soon And the BBC do not deserve to keep it as they do not even show club rugby highhighlights. The fact that golf clubs ate not more family friendly is part of the bigger problem and one they need to sort if they want more parents and kids taking up the sport

BT Sports are very keen on adding the Six Nations and RWC to their rugby coverage

D

Deleted member 15344

The sport does fit in a family style due to the time it takes - kids don't want to hang around

Lots of kids play rugby and football - remember it's also sports played in school

Why should the BBC lose the 6 nations ? They do a good job - the club rugby is done by BT sports after paying a lot of money

Martin70

Head Pro
Visit site
Even though I have Sky I will miss the BBC's coverage. Some things are just better left as they are.

I am not a big fan of Monty's punditry either to be honest.

D

Deleted member 15344

I actually prefer the Sky commentary team, although Ken Brown is good

Can't stand them bar Howell

Brown , Grady , Cotter etc it's all understated and respectful without the need to hype - it's all about the golf instead of being a vehicle to show of new technology in shot centre etc

colint

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Spot on, my club are pretty good at arranging things on bonfire night etc when kids are welcome but the attitude of some of the members at these events is embarrassing. They'd rather have 3 properly attired long standing members in the bar than a host of families being introduced to the club / game.

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can't stand them bar Howell

Brown , Grady , Cotter etc it's all understated and respectful without the need to hype - it's all about the golf instead of being a vehicle to show of new technology in shot centre etc

Andrew Coltart is a nice guy and any time I have met Monty he has been good fun. David Livingstone is a good anchor man too

D

Deleted member 15344

Andrew Coltart is a nice guy and any time I have met Monty he has been good fun. David Livingstone is a good anchor man too

It just all feels very corporate when watching them - all false and fake. Monty im sure is a nice guy but when commentating he is dull and self important -Livingstone is again dull - Coltart is ok as is Dougherty.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The sport does fit in a family style due to the time it takes - kids don't want to hang around

Lots of kids play rugby and football - remember it's also sports played in school

Why should the BBC lose the 6 nations ? They do a good job - the club rugby is done by BT sports after paying a lot of money

Because the BBC shows no interest in the wider game and just wants the crown jewels. If you had suffered years of looking to listen to an elite rugby gane on 5 live onky to hear coverage of league 2 football then you might agree that the BBC gets all it deserves when it comes to sport. As for golf clubs, ideal time for the pro to get a group of kids in a lesson or on the putting green whilst the patrents watch golf or sit them in the junior room etc.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

There is a difference between illegal and annoying which is why I never stated it was illegal. Blocking the flow of traffic is very annoying and that is what happens when riders go two abreast and stay there. Think of it another way. Cyclists are there, all lycrad up, and are steaming along a road. In front of them are a group of walkers. To go around them would mean you are on the wrong side of the road and that would be dangerous. If only they walked in single file then you could pass them quite happily. Instead you have to crawl along until eventually you can get past them safely.

Change the scenario to the cyclist who rides two abreast and blocks the road for the faster moving car. Annoying isn't it? Ride single file and then the whole traffic flow is much smoother.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk

No, but as discussed on another thread recently it is often stupid, inconsiderate and yes, bloody annoying........however.....

Back on topic, it was probably inevitable. Personally, I'm a fan of the BBC coverage (Peter and all) but I do feel the harking back to "when we were young" and "emulating our heroes" is being overplayed. In those days there were 3 channels, no choice and we had very little option but to watch these sporting events. Yes that did drive participation but I don't think it does in the same way these days. Youngsters have internet, games, DVD, hundreds of channels to pick from and I don't think they will be attracted to golf just because it's on BBC like they were in the old days. It's a pity that the last day coverage can't be shared like the masters has been but the commercial reality is that you get what you pay for and the BBC have a limited budget and can't justify the money for what is in reality a minority sport.