The Open Championship 2013 Thread (Hopefully this can be pinned)

carlosportsman

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi all,

As there doesn't seem to be one started, I thought I would start a thread on The Open.

It's my favourite week of the golfing year without doubt so will be glued to the action all weekend, and will be posting thoughts on here in the build up and during the event. I shall also be putting a preview link on here tomorrow morning for those interesting in reading it.

I will start with something light though and reflect on Rory's most recent quote regarding the state of his game from the sportinglife.com

'McIlroy missed the cut in his only event since the US Open, admitting he had yet to find the right driver and putter since his controversial multi-million pound switch to Nike in January.

But after a practice round on Sunday, the 24-year-old told reporters he had found the right driver at least.

"I went over to London after the Irish Open, tried a few drivers with different settings and as soon I hit it I said, 'This is the one.' It feels great,'' he said.'

Clearly this is good news and a step in the right direction for his game but what about finding his putter? To me that is costing him more than anything.

carlosportsman

Club Champion
Visit site
I think drivers on rock hard fairways and knee-high rough will be in short supply! Plenty of hybrids and long irons me thinks!

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if Phil and Tiger don't use driver all week. Rory won't do that though, he likes to maximise the use of his driver which in fairness was his strength during his purple patch last year.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if Phil and Tiger don't use driver all week. Rory won't do that though, he likes to maximise the use of his driver which in fairness was his strength during his purple patch last year.

Phils gotta to be planning to use his frankenwood, and I see ping have released a rapture driving iron. I can't see many drivers being hit either going to be a week of plotting there way around on the short stuff.
Reports of some wider bowling alleys than fairways! 10 I think it was...

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
lots of club makers have been bending 2 and 3 irons, longer shafts etc etc. there will be a hell of a lot of 1 and 2 irons out there!

carlosportsman

Club Champion
Visit site
lots of club makers have been bending 2 and 3 irons, longer shafts etc etc. there will be a hell of a lot of 1 and 2 irons out there!

I would imagine so, not a quite deal of wind on the forecast which makes it interesting to see how the scoring goes, I would be surprised if it is a double digit under par winning total, between -6 and -9 would be my guess.

carlosportsman

Club Champion
Visit site
Really looking forward to this week, my favourite in the golfing calendar. Here are some excerpts from preview.

Phil Mickelson – Clearly Mickelson has made an ideal preparation for this week by claiming his first victory on European soil at Castle Stuart. The confidence and excitement of how he was playing going into The Open was clear during his post tournament interview. Muirfield will provide a sterner test over fours day then Castle Stuart but a win on a links course is always a good preparation of The Open. He will be seeking to become the first Scottish Open winner to go on and win The Open the following week and also bounce back from his US Open heartbreak at Merion. I do feel the way he played last week and the patience showed at Merion allied with the firm and fast conditions give Mickelson his best chance of winning the claret jug

Graeme McDowell – I was very impressed by the way McDowell bounced back from a succession of missed cuts to win the Open De France. In truth he actually wasn’t at his best but found a way to pick up his third win of 2013, it confirmed his well being going into this week. Despite winning three times, McDowell will be disappointed with his performances at Augusta and Merion, missing the cut in both. His Merion failure was the biggest surprise as he looked ideally suited to the test provided there but it was not to be. I was surprised when looking at McDowell prior to last year’s Open that he didn’t have a top ten to his name at the event, his tie for fifth at Lytham put that right. That was part of a superb year of play in majors for McDowell, finishing inside the top fifteen in all four. He will be hoping that he can regain that sort of touch in majors this week.

Full preview link - http://carlothesportsman.wordpress.com/2013/07/16/2013-open-championship-preview/

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Hi all,

As there doesn't seem to be one started, I thought I would start a thread on The Open.

It's my favourite week of the golfing year without doubt so will be glued to the action all weekend, and will be posting thoughts on here in the build up and during the event. I shall also be putting a preview link on here tomorrow morning for those interesting in reading it.

I will start with something light though and reflect on Rory's most recent quote regarding the state of his game from the sportinglife.com

'McIlroy missed the cut in his only event since the US Open, admitting he had yet to find the right driver and putter since his controversial multi-million pound switch to Nike in January.

But after a practice round on Sunday, the 24-year-old told reporters he had found the right driver at least.

"I went over to London after the Irish Open, tried a few drivers with different settings and as soon I hit it I said, 'This is the one.' It feels great,'' he said.'

Clearly this is good news and a step in the right direction for his game but what about finding his putter? To me that is costing him more than anything.

Driver at Muirfield..Maybe use it two or three times per round, if he wants to win.

groundskeeperwilly

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I enjoyed Merion and am hoping for a similar test for the players. Would be great to see a British or Irish player do well to continue the sporting success of Lions, Murray, Maybe England Cricket and Chris Froome.

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
Be surprised to see drivers come out anywhere other than maybe 18 where they my try to fly the bunkers.

Smart play will be Long irons from the tee and centre of greens with the course as it is maybe -8 is the winner. Perfect set up for Justin Rose, but I really fancy Jason Day to do well. Wonder how Tiger will do this time out and after being told off for teeing off the back nine in practice! Got a feeling Rory is gonna struggle to make the cut yet again as he continues his downward spiral no doubt his fanboys will blame Nike but its the player who needs to deliver

couple outside bets on Manassaro and Sergio with my local bookies paying out upto 8th place on all bets placed tomorrow between 10-6 in store.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think if you want to win at Muirfield you have to use your driver.
Many have tried the 'safe' route and to my knowledge no one has won that way.
Hitting Fairways and greens will be important, putting not so.
The par 5's will be the key for this years winner, won't be too many birdies if you play safe.
I would not be surprised if Woods and McInroy both fail to make the cut.

carlosportsman

Club Champion
Visit site
I think if you want to win at Muirfield you have to use your driver.
Many have tried the 'safe' route and to my knowledge no one has won that way.
Hitting Fairways and greens will be important, putting not so.
The par 5's will be the key for this years winner, won't be too many birdies if you play safe.
I would not be surprised if Woods and McInroy both fail to make the cut.

It will be interested to see how it pans out but Tiger has won the Open without driver on two occasions and while Muirfield is different, it isn't out of the realms for a player win having not used his driver too much. I agree the par 5's will be key.

Can't see Woods missing the cut, McIlroy I think will probably make the cut but I don't see him winning this year if I am honest.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It will be interested to see how it pans out but Tiger has won the Open without driver on two occasions and while Muirfield is different, it isn't out of the realms for a player win having not used his driver too much. I agree the par 5's will be key.

Can't see Woods missing the cut, McIlroy I think will probably make the cut but I don't see him winning this year if I am honest.

A lot of the 'safe' shots require a soft draw, not the easiest shot to play.
Tigers stinger saftey shot is pretty obsolete at Muirfield that is why he struggles there.

carlosportsman

Club Champion
Visit site
A lot of the 'safe' shots require a soft draw, not the easiest shot to play.
Tigers stinger saftey shot is pretty obsolete at Muirfield that is why he struggles there.

Finishing tied 28th with one very bad round which was in the teeth of the weather is not really struggling in my opinion. I am not suggesting that the weather was the only reason for the bad round because it wasn't but he shot 70,65,68 in his other three rounds so he played well apart from on the Saturday. I am not saying he will win but I think he has a better chance then some would suggest.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site

carlosportsman

Club Champion
Visit site