The Open 2023

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
People will always be highly critical of the BBC and golf but when they did have the Open imo it’s was superb coverage

I can always remember turning on a 7 in the morning and then having it all day long each day - they started the coverage when the players went out

Sky whilst the production is superb just seem to spend a lot of the time showing off new gadgets - there were players out there playing and yet we were being shown people in the sky zone , Celebs hitting shots , rugby players in bunkers etc

Just show the golf and then put all that nonsense on the red button

They're trying to grow the game with all that nonsense, the target audience who'd be interested in that however would only be sat in front of it if they'd been naughty.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'm thinking about going next year to follow my favourite golfer around the course.
I've thought of a few things to shout out, but I would welcome a few more suggestions, please.

Flick the tee!
Eat the pies!
Phone your dad!
Touch the sand!
Fight like hell!
Improve the lie!

Timely, this came up yesterday from an FC during our round... Milk The Wind!

sjw

Visit site
…or what came into my mind every time some berk shouted out some ‘look at me’ comment….SHUT THE 🤬 UP

And believe me. If I was there I darned well would…and happily accept any consequences.
A punter did yell shut up at someone else on either Saturday or Sunday I think, and got a laugh out of the gallery. I think most people are tired of the stupid shouting, but I do like to hear encouragement once the ball is on its way, "Great shot Victor!" or "let's go Rory!" or that sort of thing

sunshine

Visit site
Looking back, some reflections on the week:
1. Superb performance from Forest Gump. Incredible putting, his stat within 10 feet is rightly getting a lot of attention, but his driving accuracy laid the platform for the win. He can show off the claret jug to his hunting buddies back in Greenbow Alabama.
2. The “boring” golf played by the winner, the fact none of the contenders really challenged him over the weekend, the dreary weather, and the drab featureless course all add up to a damp squib. Rory’s choice of a brown waterproof suit on the final day was very apt. This Open will soon be forgotten.

AussieKB

Visit site
Looking back, some reflections on the week:
1. Superb performance from Forest Gump. Incredible putting, his stat within 10 feet is rightly getting a lot of attention, but his driving accuracy laid the platform for the win. He can show off the claret jug to his hunting buddies back in Greenbow Alabama.
2. The “boring” golf played by the winner, the fact none of the contenders really challenged him over the weekend, the dreary weather, and the drab featureless course all add up to a damp squib. Rory’s choice of a brown waterproof suit on the final day was very apt. This Open will soon be forgotten.
A bit tough on the winner playing boring golf.....
when Tigger only hit 2 irons all week I don't recall anyone saying boring, smart golf was the normal quote.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
A bit tough on the winner playing boring golf.....
when Tigger only hit 2 irons all week I don't recall anyone saying boring, smart golf was the normal quote.
Oddly I think watching someone hit 2 irons would be more exciting than the usual bombs with driver. At least it's different. You can scarcely imagine someone winning a major without using driver in this day and age.

D

Deleted member 1147

I'm thinking about going next year to follow my "favourite" golfer around the course.
I've thought of a few things to shout out, but I would welcome a few more suggestions, please.

Flick the tee!
Eat the pies!
Phone your dad!
Touch the sand!
Fight like hell!
Improve the lie!
Is that last one for Paddy Reed?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Anyone else think that the internal out of bounds is an under used tool.
We seen the world's best golfers aiming 100 yards left of it on 18 over and over.
They were pinging it left and staying safe whilst putting the crowd at risk.
I'd have another up the left side or knee high rough.
I can think of countless courses that would be tightened up considerably with the odd internal oob thrown in.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We seen the world's best golfers aiming 100 yards left of it on 18 over and over.
I can think of countless courses that would be tightened up considerably with the odd internal oob thrown in.
It just doesnt look well. But i practice, its a very cost effective replacement for a lake or ocean, with a half shot or shot more penalising. Its not ideal. But value for money for lesser golf course designs, so probably should be used more. On the other hand, it can be frustrating...ad it does feel fake when you hit a ball into one.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It just doesnt look well. But i practice, its a very cost effective replacement for a lake or ocean, with a half shot or shot more penalising. Its not ideal. But value for money for lesser golf course designs, so probably should be used more. On the other hand, it can be frustrating...ad it does feel fake when you hit a ball into one.

Feels very real when you are standing on a tee with a club in hand.

An innocuous row of white stakes is very intimidating. 😄

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have often said a better solution than 'rolling the ball back' would be to make more crowd areas OOB (can push them back a little bit so it's not totally unfair). If they're losing shots for the more wild drives you'd surely see them reign it in a little bit.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have often said a better solution than 'rolling the ball back' would be to make more crowd areas OOB (can push them back a little bit so it's not totally unfair). If they're losing shots for the more wild drives you'd surely see them reign it in a little bit.

It's certainly an idea. The courses they play are big ball parks. There is room to push oob lines 50 yards from the fairway.
What would make it intresting is that the players would be forced to control the ball in the wind or risk getting them blown way off line and into the oob.
You might even see stinger 3 woods and drivers. Shots you rarely see anymore.

D-S

Visit site
I have often said a better solution than 'rolling the ball back' would be to make more crowd areas OOB (can push them back a little bit so it's not totally unfair). If they're losing shots for the more wild drives you'd surely see them rein it in a little bit.
It would have transformed the 1st last week.

D

Deleted member 15344

The internal OOB was there for a reason and it’s the same anytime there is one and it’s mainly there for safety only , not to make a course tougher

The course was tough enough without needing it to be tricked or manufactured- let a course be natural especially a links course , it will defend itself.

Leave all that nonsense to the US bomb and gouge parkland courses