The off season

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think of golf in seasons but for sure play less in winter as it's no fun if the weather is pants. I do tend to do more exercise and get fitter every winter - mainly as my gym is in the conservatory and it's too hot in there in summer. Currently on week 6 of P90X3 which I'm kind of enjoying and feeling much stronger overall. Just need to commit to a morning workout in summer so I keep my strength levels up. Just trying to get motivated for "MMX" which is today's session - it's kind of fun punching and stuff so hopefully my energy levels will lift after carrying for 18 holes in the wind earlier.

Range once a week minimum all year round but maybe a bit more in winter. Not great at working on short game when it's cold though.

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
Very rare to get a cold snap here in South Devon these days, but we do get biblical amounts of rain. Need a good draining course! Practice off mats better than no practice I’d say.

dronfield

Visit site
Our course has a no closure policy and so i do look to play when possible through the winter - partly to justify the membership.
Also, weather permitting look to go to the range once a week.
i think lessons are a good idea this time of year, assuming you are able to practice and work on changes the pro has made.
Rich

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Winter, when the ground is soggy, is the best time to practice.
Slightly fat contacts that you'd get away with in the summer are punished mercilessly in winter.
Get out on the course and keep playing!

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I might be wrong here, but I believe this is a case where you really have to look at the difference between correlation and causation. Your fitness level, or lack of it, I'd guess, was not the reason for you playing the best golf of your life.

Here's a funny take on correlation, and as you may see, they have absolutely nothing what so ever to do with each other.

http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

Wow this is Dechambeau scientific, interesting stuff .

Maybe I’m overthinking things, maybe seeing that all the pros are getting fitter etc it makes you wonder if the same sort of excercise would be of a benefit

D

Deleted member 25172

Wow this is Dechambeau scientific, interesting stuff .

Maybe I’m overthinking things, maybe seeing that all the pros are getting fitter etc it makes you wonder if the same sort of excercise would be of a benefit

Well, depends on who you ask. Pat Perez has his own take on it from about 2 min in:

Everyone has their own formula for success, even though being more fit probably won’t be a negative. :)

With that said - I don’t work out. 😎

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
This winter I've started a bit of light jogging and intermittent participation in our local park run - in the summer I play enough golf to keep the blood moving, but started to really feel the lack of activity once the clocks changed. It's not as bad as I thought I would be, but I'm not sure I'll score any better as a consequence...

This is what I’m thinking. I used to be able to do a 10k run at the drop of a hat and now I don’t think I’d manage 2. Hopefully the increased fitness will help the golf

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Lessons and range for me this winter. Not been to the course for a month and considering not going back until March

We’ve had so much rain the last few weeks I’m not sure I’d enjoy being out in the course. I’m thinking along the same lines, Middle of March this year was around when I started playing regularly again and assume it’ll be the same next year.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I do hit the range in the winter. I find it necessity to keep my swing and especially the tempo side of things ticking over. I tend to focus solely on strike/dispersion and not worry too much about distance (cold/range balls etc). What I do also like to do though is drop a weekend game, or if conditions dictate and we're on temp greens anyway and work really hard on my short game. I found last winter if I could get my pitching on point off wet, muddy lies, it carried forward so much better into the dry summer and even off the baked fairways I had a better strike. I also use the opportunity to do some chipping (same improved strike reason) and work on my putting from 3-7 feet. Not AS fussed about how many I hole (always go for 10/10 from every station) but as long as the stroke is good I'm happy

Thanks Homer, I was originally thinking pitching in the arty soft mud would be pointless but there’s a lot of logic in what you say. Will wonder down the practice area I think and see what it’s like

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Well, depends on who you ask. Pat Perez has his own take on it from about 2 min in:

Everyone has their own formula for success, even though being more fit probably won’t be a negative. :)

With that said - I don’t work out. 😎

This is why I’m torn I think, there’s many recipes for success. I used to do Ironman triathlon so now feel very unfit but I’m playing golf better than ever. Then you look at pros like Rory who seems to have lost his edge as he’s gotten fitter.

Who knows..

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I had a spare hour this morning and nipped down to the club to practice my putting.

Green was slow and bumpy - which is fair enough for this time of year. Not a pleasure to putt on it must be said.

Tried my best to replicate a real round, recording 18 ‘holes’ of putting from various distances and angles.

Ended up with 41 putts, but shortest putt I set up was 7 foot with most ‘holes’ starting at 20 to 25 feet with a 35 & a 55 footer (both 3 putts).

Then I did 18 x 8 to 10 footers. All different putts. Only made 4 out of 18, which was disappointing and definitely the area I want to improve.

I’d like to think better conditions would have led to better scoring, but main thing is I have recorded a good practice session and next time I get the chance to do that I can record progress (and hopefully improvement)

D

Deleted member 25172

This is why I’m torn I think, there’s many recipes for success. I used to do Ironman triathlon so now feel very unfit but I’m playing golf better than ever. Then you look at pros like Rory who seems to have lost his edge as he’s gotten fitter.

Who knows..

Training for Ironman, did you play less golf than you have done this year perhaps? Golf is just a strange game. One day everything works, and the next day nothing works.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
tried my best to replicate a real round, recording 18 ‘holes’ of putting from various distances and angles.
That's an interesting way to do putting practice. It'd never occurred to me before. Has the advantage of producing a number which is easy to relate to a round of golf, and that is also easy to keep a track of. Cool.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We’ve had so much rain the last few weeks I’m not sure I’d enjoy being out in the course. I’m thinking along the same lines, Middle of March this year was around when I started playing regularly again and assume it’ll be the same next year.

Yeah, with you on that. I don’t enjoy it so much when the going gets really heavy, I play on parkland and it only takes a day or two to need the waders... Reckon I’m doing more good for both me and the course hitting the range!

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Our course has a no closure policy
How does the course hold up and are often restrictions on trolleys etc?

I know a few people at a club that very seldom closes. It's on heavy ground and said people often walk off the 18th saying it should have been closed...:unsure:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Would definitely be happier with clubs taking a more aggressive stance at closing the course during the winter, or maybe only opening 9 holes each day and alternating this.

I guess as long as it's well managed it doesn't really do any long term damage, and any bare areas should grow back in the spring, but must impact how much work can be done in the winter - especially when you could get a snowfall in January or February and lose several weeks of time to work on the course.

Personally, when I 1st took up the game and had no kids I would go up and play winter golf on short tees and temp greens. I'd come in with a net 55 and be really chuffed, not realising just how much I was kidding myself on. But as the years went on I was less interested in doing it and am still amazed with the number of people I saw going out yesterday when I was down at the club.

The rain we had on Saturday was apoplectic in the west of Scotland and I just don't see how any regular golfers would get much out of playing after that from a golfing point of view. Sure there's a bit of competition and a social aspect to it - but people must have other things they can do with their time.