The off season

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I had a spare hour this morning and nipped down to the club to practice my putting.

Green was slow and bumpy - which is fair enough for this time of year. Not a pleasure to putt on it must be said.

Tried my best to replicate a real round, recording 18 ‘holes’ of putting from various distances and angles.

Ended up with 41 putts, but shortest putt I set up was 7 foot with most ‘holes’ starting at 20 to 25 feet with a 35 & a 55 footer (both 3 putts).

Then I did 18 x 8 to 10 footers. All different putts. Only made 4 out of 18, which was disappointing and definitely the area I want to improve.

I’d like to think better conditions would have led to better scoring, but main thing is I have recorded a good practice session and next time I get the chance to do that I can record progress (and hopefully improvement)
Interesting method. I regularly do 20 putts from 3 - 7 feets (going up in foot increments) and record how many out of 20 I get to monitor progress. I go from 5 different spots around the hole to give different reads. I then go to 10, 15 and 20 and repeat. I do expect to see a small decrease in the number holed given the condition of the practice green in winter but have a ball park figure per distance I like to try and achieve as a marker. As an alternative I do a lot of chipping and from good, average and poor lies play nine shots from each (1 x each lie per time) to different holes and see how many up and downs I make and record the scores as a marker. Find it gives my practice more focus than simply working on technique and with the bad lies is allowing me to be far more creative (hybrids, 5 woods etc) with club selection

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting method. I regularly do 20 putts from 3 - 7 feets (going up in foot increments) and record how many out of 20 I get to monitor progress. I go from 5 different spots around the hole to give different reads. I then go to 10, 15 and 20 and repeat. I do expect to see a small decrease in the number holed given the condition of the practice green in winter but have a ball park figure per distance I like to try and achieve as a marker. As an alternative I do a lot of chipping and from good, average and poor lies play nine shots from each (1 x each lie per time) to different holes and see how many up and downs I make and record the scores as a marker. Find it gives my practice more focus than simply working on technique and with the bad lies is allowing me to be far more creative (hybrids, 5 woods etc) with club selection

Yeh - I am taking up the game again after a break. And with work and family I will just not be able to get out and play every Saturday, Sunday and once or twice during the week, as I did previously.

So my plan is to come up with a number of good practice drills (primarily based around chipping / pitching and putting) that I can go and do 45 minutes to an hour of rather than simply lament that I don't have 4+ hours to spare for a full game.

I reckon the 18 hole putting drill I could do in under 25 minutes if I had a document set up in my phone to record the results quickly.

The 18 eight to ten footers would take 10 or 11 minutes as you don't need to record your results while doing it. Just remember and note it down at the end.

This was inspired by Rob McGarr video on youtube.
College Golf Practice Regime

It's very easy when practising to not record your results, to not measure your progress and ultimately get bored quickly. Also, by recording results you are putting yourself in a scoring situation, which is a good way of replicating playing conditions.

dronfield

Visit site
How does the course hold up and are often restrictions on trolleys etc?

I know a few people at a club that very seldom closes. It's on heavy ground and said people often walk off the 18th saying it should have been closed...:unsure:

The course seems to hold up ok - we have 20 holes at the club, 2 are saved purely for the summer course, and a winter course is created by reworking the summer one (shortening holes/using a summer chipping green for a par 3 etc etc). We do use temps when necessary.

There was a lot of rain last week, and on Sat we had 18 proper greens in play with no restrictions re trollys - a course 2 miles away that i used to be a member of had 18 temps in play!

The policy has been well received - no doubt at times the greenstaff would close the course, but the club wants to offer the facilities to members all year round. No real issues re fairway conditions when Spring arrives. Most people will be sensible and not go out if the course is not playable.

Rich

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The course seems to hold up ok - we have 20 holes at the club, 2 are saved purely for the summer course, and a winter course is created by reworking the summer one (shortening holes/using a summer chipping green for a par 3 etc etc). We do use temps when necessary.

There was a lot of rain last week, and on Sat we had 18 proper greens in play with no restrictions re trollys - a course 2 miles away that i used to be a member of had 18 temps in play!

The policy has been well received - no doubt at times the greenstaff would close the course, but the club wants to offer the facilities to members all year round. No real issues re fairway conditions when Spring arrives. Most people will be sensible and not go out if the course is not playable.

Rich
Thanks, that's really interesting and useful info 👍👍

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I still play most weeks through the winter, will play in most weather unless it is a real hard frost which would force temp greens. I use the round as more of a practice for my swing and usually have something I'm working on, I keep a mental note of score but don't get hung up on the end score. Had hoped to get a few winter opens in this year to keep the competitive juices flowing, haven't managed to play any so far, but have one on Thursday at teh Glen at North Berwick, hoping to play well but happy just to get out and play.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Would definitely be happier with clubs taking a more aggressive stance at closing the course during the winter, or maybe only opening 9 holes each day and alternating this.

I guess as long as it's well managed it doesn't really do any long term damage, and any bare areas should grow back in the spring, but must impact how much work can be done in the winter - especially when you could get a snowfall in January or February and lose several weeks of time to work on the course.

Personally, when I 1st took up the game and had no kids I would go up and play winter golf on short tees and temp greens. I'd come in with a net 55 and be really chuffed, not realising just how much I was kidding myself on. But as the years went on I was less interested in doing it and am still amazed with the number of people I saw going out yesterday when I was down at the club.

The rain we had on Saturday was apoplectic in the west of Scotland and I just don't see how any regular golfers would get much out of playing after that from a golfing point of view. Sure there's a bit of competition and a social aspect to it - but people must have other things they can do with their time.

maybe they enjoy playing no matter what. personally i play in most conditions, its not about the standard of play its getting out and enjoying it, surely that why we play the game, for enjoyment??

i'm not overly keen on playing winter greens when its frosty, but if i've been working all week, i want to get out at the weekend and play if i can

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
Was looking to book a tee time for Saturday, but long range forecast looks awful. Don't really enjoy going in round in persistent rain.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
maybe they enjoy playing no matter what. personally i play in most conditions, its not about the standard of play its getting out and enjoying it, surely that why we play the game, for enjoyment??

i'm not overly keen on playing winter greens when its frosty, but if i've been working all week, i want to get out at the weekend and play if i can

yes - I'm sure they do enjoy it and I wouldn't be too critical of them. As I said, I was one of those people once upon a time.

But I also think there's a balance between having regular play and getting the course in shape for the spring.

Personally I would have no issue with the course closing 2nd week in November through to February... subject to sensible review if it was particularly good weather... if it meant the place was in much better shape come mid-March. Or simply being a bit stricter about closing it for a day following heavy rain - even if it is playable.

Maybe it would make very little difference, but I think it would make a difference at most places given winter projects that could get done and obviously less wear and tear on the greens.

Also - clear difference with a links course and a place further inland that will not be able to cope with winter weather the same. Most people are happy to pay a premium for a links course simply for additional weeks of play. Although I was down at Glasgow Gailes in February of this year and a huge number of bunkers were flooded and out of play - which maybe just goes to show what a challenge the wet weather is these days.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
yes - I'm sure they do enjoy it and I wouldn't be too critical of them. As I said, I was one of those people once upon a time.

But I also think there's a balance between having regular play and getting the course in shape for the spring.

Personally I would have no issue with the course closing 2nd week in November through to February... subject to sensible review if it was particularly good weather... if it meant the place was in much better shape come mid-March. Or simply being a bit stricter about closing it for a day following heavy rain - even if it is playable.

Maybe it would make very little difference, but I think it would make a difference at most places given winter projects that could get done and obviously less wear and tear on the greens.

Also - clear difference with a links course and a place further inland that will not be able to cope with winter weather the same. Most people are happy to pay a premium for a links course simply for additional weeks of play. Although I was down at Glasgow Gailes in February of this year and a huge number of bunkers were flooded and out of play - which maybe just goes to show what a challenge the wet weather is these days.
when we had a forum meet there a few years ago it was the same, but so was Troon and some at Western, only one that wasn't was Dundonald, well not the bunkers anyway;)

we had more rain on Friday and Saturday nights than we have had this year, but the links you wouldn't even know it had rained.

Of course parkland can get a bit boggy but if it is that tends to limit the number to the hardcore anyway. Mats can help as they save the fairways and allow you to hit off something dry... for me if it meant no golf for 4 months i would find somewhere that did, i'd imagine thats why clubs don't

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah, with you on that. I don’t enjoy it so much when the going gets really heavy, I play on parkland and it only takes a day or two to need the waders... Reckon I’m doing more good for both me and the course hitting the range!
Totally agree, parkland for me too and its notoriously wet through winter although the new greenkeeper has done a stellar job of clearing all the drainage and ditches.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
How does the course hold up and are often restrictions on trolleys etc?

I know a few people at a club that very seldom closes. It's on heavy ground and said people often walk off the 18th saying it should have been closed...:unsure:

Perhaps selfish to fellow members but Id prefer it if they closed the course when its very wet. Even if they closed only the back 9 as the front 9 doesn't suffer as bad. However, its open all year round.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site

I agree entirely with looking at things in the long run. If a considerable amount of damage is going to occur to the course it just doesn't make sense to me why they would keep it open. Must frustrate the greenkeepers immensely!

I've been watching the new you tube guy James Robinson Golf based at Huddersfield GC and noticed that after a wet period he hits fairway shots off a mat that he carries around with him. Best of both worlds?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I totally get that getting out and playing as much as possible is what a lot of people want to do. I enjoy playing the Saturday roll up but feel sometimes I have to be selfish and work on my game. I know my short game is flaky and so I have to work hard to keep it at moving forward and I feel more confident on greens when I know I've been knocking in the short ones. By having a structure and something to measure my progress against I've a target to beat each time

In response to Grant85 I've seen the Rob MCGarr video before and it makes an awful lot of sense and if you feel happier working on those drills, then as long as you feel its moving the game on and it reflects when you get on the course then it's decent practice

dronfield

Visit site
I agree entirely with looking at things in the long run. If a considerable amount of damage is going to occur to the course it just doesn't make sense to me why they would keep it open. Must frustrate the greenkeepers immensely!

I've been watching the new you tube guy James Robinson Golf based at Huddersfield GC and noticed that after a wet period he hits fairway shots off a mat that he carries around with him. Best of both worlds?

I played Huddersfield a few weeks ago, fabulous course and lovely old clubhouse. Some of the fairways actually had mats scattered across them, something i had never seen before, but assume those ones didnt drain as well and therefore the members used the mats when necessary.

Rich

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Personally during the offseason I just play golf whenever I can (usually once a week) and will maybe hit the range once a week, or at least practice putting.

I spent most of the winter in the gym trying to put muscle on until about late February, early March, where I'll start knuckling down again for the start of the season.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I might dig out a gilet, or even a pair of chinos. Oh, and I've taken the suncream out of the bag... although it was 29* yesterday.;)
Just to wanted to reassure you that it is still hilarious when you trot this out every time someone even vaguely mentions the weather. I think my sides may actually split next time.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
I play all year round and try to put a bit more time into fitness during the winter, really because it's easy to become a couch potato with short days and poor weather. Generally try to work on ball striking and not worry too much about putting on winter greens. As long as the ball starts where I aim, that will do. As bobbly as they are you are going to miss more than you make so just accept it. An indoor putting matt is probably more use for improving your stroke/aim than hours on a winter putting green.