The new Ping i230 irons

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
I'm playing the Ping i230 irons and everything is fine, very consistent, tight dispersion, good turf interaction, quite forgiving with good feel and sound although not up to forged standards for feel...but they're not forged anyway. My point is the rear plate of the club and here's my take on it. Other models and makes that are elastomer (or whatever) filled tend to give fliers now and then, the pings don't. Why, well I think Ping have hit on something here, because the rear plate on the irons actually moves if you press it. In other words the elastomer is there to give better sound and feel, but it isn't tightly enclosed, something I think leads to the fliers if it is enclosed and gets compressed. The fact that the rear plate can move slightly is something Ping have not said anything about but I'm not surprised many of tour pros have them in their bags already.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm playing the Ping i230 irons and everything is fine, very consistent, tight dispersion, good turf interaction, quite forgiving with good feel and sound although not up to forged standards for feel...but they're not forged anyway. My point is the rear plate of the club and here's my take on it. Other models and makes that are elastomer (or whatever) filled tend to give fliers now and then, the pings don't. Why, well I think Ping have hit on something here, because the rear plate on the irons actually moves if you press it. In other words the elastomer is there to give better sound and feel, but it isn't tightly enclosed, something I think leads to the fliers if it is enclosed and gets compressed. The fact that the rear plate can move slightly is something Ping have not said anything about but I'm not surprised many of tour pros have them in their bags already.
Good to hear from you Tommo(y)
I have them too
And I agree..
As do many of the reviewers....

RichA

Visit site
I'm not sure if it's that or maybe whether there are spots on some club faces that are hot - maybe due to defects in the casting.
I had Ping G425 irons for a year or so (loose elastomer badge in the cavity). The 9-iron out of rough was a guaranteed flier due to the grass, but the only club that produced random fliers from a nice fairway lie was the 8-iron. About every fifth shot went 180-200 yards when I was expecting 150-160. It was bizarre.
I'm now using TM P790 irons which do have foam injected inside them and have never had one if those random fliers.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The i500 are well prone to a flyer. Mate of mine ditched them for that reason.

Another pal (low hcp) has the new ones and loves them.
I have g425s, seem consistent with good strikes.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
The i500 are well prone to a flyer. Mate of mine ditched them for that reason.

Another pal (low hcp) has the new ones and loves them.
I have g425s, seem consistent with good strikes.

I’ve played with i500s for a year and not had a single instance of a ball suddenly carrying 30 or 40 years further than it should. Or even a club further.

I’d go as far as to say they are the most consistent set of irons I have owned.

The ball speed required for an 8 iron to suddenly fly between 30 and 50 yards further just isn’t feasible from a “hot spot”. I personally suspect anyone this is happening to is flushing one down with and presenting the club to the ball with less loft than normal. Especially if it’s happening regularly.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I’ve played with i500s for a year and not had a single instance of a ball suddenly carrying 30 or 40 years further than it should. Or even a club further.

I’d go as far as to say they are the most consistent set of irons I have owned.

The ball speed required for an 8 iron to suddenly fly between 30 and 50 yards further just isn’t feasible from a “hot spot”. I personally suspect anyone this is happening to is flushing one down with and presenting the club to the ball with less loft than normal. Especially if it’s happening regularly.
Who said 30 or 50 yards? 10 yards can take you over the back and into trouble.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Who said 30 or 50 yards? 10 yards can take you over the back and into trouble.

Have you read the thread? 👇
This specific instance was not an i500, but the point remains.

the only club that produced random fliers from a nice fairway lie was the 8-iron. About every fifth shot went 180-200 yards when I was expecting 150-160. It was bizarre.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Good to see you back, Tommo.
Slightly disappointed to see you going with the game improvers ;-)
Still remember you flushing the rather lovely forged srixons around Dunbar.
Sadly, I've nothing to add re the original post!...

shane3003

Visit site
I’ve just recently purchased the i230 irons, progressed from G irons. It really surprised me how I hit them better than the G425’s which I went to be fitted for in December. I’m not sure if it’s due to head size that focuses my eye or not, but I had better results.
I actually went for a second fitting elsewhere as I thought I’d be an obvious fit for the G range. I’m not a great ball striker with the irons, or I don’t believe I am and have a high handicap.
Loving them so far!