the most important ingredient for the golf swing?

hogan53

Visit site
if you were to boil the golf swing down to one ingredient (if that is possible?) what would it be? in other words do you believe there to be one simple factor that would cure most swing faults, and if so what?

my answer would be balance, as i believe it essential to hit the ball well.

thoughts?

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Plane? So many of us amateurs cut across the ball and end up slicing/pulling the ball a lot. Keeping the club on the right plane would be a big help imho. Other than that, tempo is important too.

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
Its an interesting question because as we all know the golf swing is often over complicated and there are so many aspects are involved.

I would have to say it comes down to BASICS. if you can start the game with some instruction on the basics- grip, posture etc- then you can develop a golf swing in your own individual way. As long as the basics are there it does not have to be conventional to reach a reasonable standard.

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
agreed, without a good grip, stance and posture you're up against it big time

I'm always told by pros I have lessons from that good set up helps create a smooth takeaway and one you've got it to the top OK the downswing follows naturally

simple really isn't it...

Hmmmm

Severiano798488

Club Champion
Visit site
Set up, grip and posture are key things, but also not trying to hit the ball too hard and keeping your head still are surely two fundamentals that need to be mastered.

Most beginners seem to think that they need to hit the ball 300 yards and the only way to do it is to swing at a million miles an hour, which is not the case.

The head issue is very basic but applies to everything - driving, iron play, chipping, bunker play and putting. Lee Westwood moves his head all over the place, but he is surely the exception.

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
i think tempo is the key, trusting your swing, whatever shape it's in, and not going at the ball like you're big John Daly!

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What about alignment? A good alignment allows you to swing the club on the right plane for straight shots.

hogan53

Visit site
all the arguments listed though can be simply be controlled by balance. if you are in a balanced set up and swing in balance, all the parts are taken care of. tempo comes from being in balance, and the swing plane is automatically correct if you swing in balance. it really is the most important ingredient i think. if everything is balanced then you will hit the golf ball like a pro