The Masters 2022

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just because he believes it, doesn't make him right. If he started shooting an average score of 67, then he'd be putting his money where his mouth is. But, he hasn't.

Therefore, it is fair enough for people to raise an eyebrow, and raise the point. No different to you or I challenging anybody's opinion on these forums.

Bryson may believe Augusta is relatively easy for him. Reality, so far, suggests otherwise.

Considering he is injured and advised not to play golf ATM and unable to speed train (80% fit) he has done pretty well to score 12 over.

He isn't woods

He has proven his system works elsewhere

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Given his form I shouldn’t be shocked that Scheffler is cruising, but I’m totally indifferent towards him; if he wins it’ll be a bit ‘meh’ / flat I think - at the same time he’s world no. 1 so there ought to be some excitement in it but I can’t find it. It’s been interesting so far, the Woods circus continues but to be fair that scorecard yesterday was nuts. McIlroy is performing as expected -the only surprise is he didn’t flirt more with the cut line. Even 7 back I don’t think Morikawa is finished. Hideki and Smith well placed. I think Scheffler has such a lead he only needs to be conservative today, it’s a bit unfortunate as if he wasn’t such an outlier the 2 and 3 overs would still be in it setting up a great weekend. Rooting for Lowry!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Too much was made of the 67 comment. If that's what he believes he should be aiming with his speed for a personally par it's no different from someone aiming to break 90 or 80 or 70 .. or expecting it

We live in a world of instant press.. tiger was the same when he started out.. the famous "you'll learn" interview

The more press there is the more comments that can be used against people until the end of time

It's boring
Agree. People were oh so quick to view it as arrogance, whereas I think he simply meant that with the distances he's hitting, he needs to view it as a par 67. Just a way of pushing himself into trying to achieve that - he never said it was easy. But it's Bryson, people just love to hate him for some reason.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agree. People were oh so quick to view it as arrogance, whereas I think he simply meant that with the distances he's hitting, he needs to view it as a par 67. Just a way of pushing himself into trying to achieve that - he never said it was easy. But it's Bryson, people just love to hate him for some reason.

It's because he does things differently

People don't like it

He's been doing so much good for golf..got a personality for one.. and growing the game by doing the long drive (finishing high aswell) really boosted the long drive ratings

He is exactly what golf needs with woods on the way out. Not saying he is anywhere near as good but people will tune in to see how he hits around X course or tune in to watch him suffer

Personally if he is fit I think he is going to win the open.

Swango1980

Visit site
It's because he does things differently

People don't like it

He's been doing so much good for golf..got a personality for one.. and growing the game by doing the long drive (finishing high aswell) really boosted the long drive ratings

He is exactly what golf needs with woods on the way out. Not saying he is anywhere near as good but people will tune in to see how he hits around X course or tune in to watch him suffer

Personally if he is fit I think he is going to win the open.
I find him entertaining, and I like that he has a different approach to the game. It is exciting. Nobody wants every golfer to be like Matthew Fitzpatrick.

However, I'll have a laugh when he makes some cocky statements and can't back it up.

Whydowedoit

Hacker
Visit site
Will be a fascinating watch to see how Scheffler handles the big lead. With three wins already, he might have exhausted his winning appetite but the guy is a fierce competitor with a level head & he's making it look easy so far. Can't understand why you lot don't like him? Reminds me of a young Mark Calcavechia but with a better game

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I find him entertaining, and I like that he has a different approach to the game. It is exciting. Nobody wants every golfer to be like Matthew Fitzpatrick.

However, I'll have a laugh when he makes some cocky statements and can't back it up.
I don't like him, I find him to be an insufferable tool. Saying that I'm not too keen on Fitzpatrick either, he comes across as a miserable little whiner.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Have you actually listened to him speak outside of press conferences? He seems very down to earth and not cocky

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have to admire how Bryson has moved the needle and forced players to consider how they approach the game. His power when fit and he controls it has given him an advantage on some course. However he needs to develop a golfing brain and realise not all courses can be simply smashed into oblivion. I think he will work it out and he will win another major

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have to admire how Bryson has moved the needle and forced players to consider how they approach the game. His power when fit and he controls it has given him an advantage on some course. However he needs to develop a golfing brain and realise not all courses can be simply smashed into oblivion. I think he will work it out and he will win another major

It's a myth he is all power tho. He only developed that recently. Before he was a very skillful player

A very good putter and his iron play is outstanding

People get blinded by distance.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's a myth he is all power tho. He only developed that recently. Before he was a very skillful player

A very good putter and his iron play is outstanding

People get blinded by distance.

I don't disagree and his short game is often overlooked. However I still think there are times when he sees a hole differently to most and thinks his power will give him an advantage. It may be the case but if the driver isn't working he can get himself into what might be considered unnecessary trouble. I do think he is starting to be more pragmatic. If we get benign conditions at the Open then I can see him doing well at St Andrews

D

Deleted member 15344

Watch a shame that Laura Davis has got as bad as McGinley and what Montgomerie used to be like - she was very good when she first joined them

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Watch a shame that Laura Davis has got as bad as McGinley and what Montgomerie used to be like - she was very good when she first joined them

Happens in all sports with sky comms imo. Mark Butcher as an eg was different class for the first 6 months on cricket comms, totally fresh, decent thoughts and opinions, then became "one of the boys" and now just trots out the same they all do

Far too much of a "sky way to do it" rather than allowing individual styles