The Masters 2021

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

sunshine

Visit site
He was speaking to JD, so probably does speak English. But probably didn't want to formally in front of millions on TV. He appears to be quite shy.

The same question keeps being asked of Bielsa. Who also speaks very good English, but has chosen not to to the media.

Either way, why does it matter what languages a player speaks? (not having a dig at you with that question btw)

This is a pretty common trick among sportsmen. Pretend you don't speak the language and boring / irritating interviews become a lot shorter and easier. Simple questions and short bland answers.

Re Matsuyama, it must have made great TV back in Japan that he did his interview in Japanese instead of English.

sunshine

Visit site
Matsuyama's interpreter wasn't relaying some of what he said correctly according to Mrs Wedge

They never do. It's impossible to remember more than a sentence, while you are translating the first sentence you can't listen and translate the second sentence. So interpreters always end up paraphrasing.

Also, people repeat themselves when they are talking e.g. I've noticed I in a shop I often say "cheers, thanks" (don't know why :unsure:). So the interpreter doesn't copy the original speech word for word, and then everyone looks at him/her wondering why the translation is much shorter than the original.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
They never do. It's impossible to remember more than a sentence, while you are translating the first sentence you can't listen and translate the second sentence. So interpreters always end up paraphrasing.

Also, people repeat themselves when they are talking e.g. I've noticed I in a shop I often say "cheers, thanks" (don't know why :unsure:). So the interpreter doesn't copy the original speech word for word, and then everyone looks at him/her wondering why the translation is much longer than the original.
I went to Brazil once with work and used a translator when I was there. He asked at the beginning of the day whether I wanted him to translate sentences, paragraphs or as I spoke. I couldn't get my head around anything more than sentences so that is what we settled on. Once I got into the rythym of it it worked very well, it made sense. Smashing bloke, we had a fun day together.

If someone spoke English to me and expected me to remember and recite a paragraph just spoken I don't think I could do it at more than 75% accurate. To remember it, translate it o_O. I am in awe of translators.

sunshine

Visit site
I went to Brazil once with work and used a translator when I was there. He asked at the beginning of the day whether I wanted him to translate sentences, paragraphs or as I spoke. I couldn't get my head around anything more than sentences so that is what we settled on. Once I got into the rythym of it it worked very well, it made sense. Smashing bloke, we had a fun day together.

If someone spoke English to me and expected me to remember and recite a paragraph just spoken I don't think I could do it at more than 75% accurate. To remember it, translate it o_O. I am in awe of translators.

I did it a few times in Spain. It is sooo hard. You need time to think to make sure you capture the tone of the message, language is very subtle. But you have no time because everyone is talking at you. C3PO had it easy working for Jabba the Hutt.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Matsuyama's interpreter wasn't relaying some of what he said correctly according to Mrs Wedge

Don't forget that some words just don't translate - I have to translate for my wife when we go to HK - especially when she met my grandmother (RIP) whom spoke about 4 words of English and some words/phrases you have to get them to fit somehow when you translate them.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This all reminds me of that translator that a Chelsea manager had years ago (might have been Ranieri?) who was sacked as they found out he was essentially just making it up and using general football clichés, haha.

sunshine

Visit site
This all reminds me of that translator that a Chelsea manager had years ago (might have been Ranieri?) who was sacked as they found out he was essentially just making it up and using general football clichés, haha.

Haha yes it was Ranieri. The thing is, Ranieri loved spouting Italian football clichés that had no English translation, so his interpreter just reeled off English clichés he could think of instead.

Of course, Mourinho is famous for being Bobby Robson's interpreter. I can't imagine that was an easy job.