The Joys of 9 Hole Pay 'n' Play

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Currently spending my golfing time down my local par 3 pay 'n' play.

Cambridge Lakes is a great place to play golf no matter what your ability. Holes range from 80-140 yards, the greens are actually quite challenging and roll true. The grass is cut to proper height and is a good playing surface around the green and through it. Generally its well kept and there is nothing to complain about but as a "proper golfer" you do see some strange sights.

So far these include:

• A lady golfer who had a set of "gold" clubs, even the putter had a gold finish and she wore a "gold yellow" outfit.
  • A golfer who hit wood on EVERY shot, until they got on the green, yet had a set mostly made up of irons.
  • Some very strange swings.
  • A golfer who played while carrying a pencil bag, actually played the shots with the bag slung over their shoulder.
  • Golfers who try to chip/pitch their way around the course
  • A wide variety of takes on the "putting stroke", some just downright bizarre
  • The above again but for chipping.
  • Many new "rules" and rule interpretations, including club sharing aplenty!
  • Top Flites, topflites everywhere!
  • People stripping off to fetch balls out of the water for a lady friend.

The best thing about it can be seeing all the people just having fun playing this wonderful game, I can forgive them pretty much everything above.

The only thing I cannot forgive is lack of basic manners, which is actually quite rare! I get let through 99% of the time, as I am usually on my own and I find most greens. The 1% of groups who don't can really ruin it, even on a short course with just 9 holes.

I would suggest taking time away from our havens of golf, places where the list above would rarely be forgiven and see how the public enjoy golf.

You will actually be on the end of some funny comments at times, like "you must be good, all of your clubs match", you will see people having fun despite only hitting the ball every other time. You will also see families together, friends together, old couples and young couples. All having fun at golf.

Go, forgive them, join them for a round, don't just pile through with your fancy "pars", interact, share and encourage!

G

guest100718

I used to play there in my days working at the Grafton Centre. A great little par 3 course.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
A 'proper' par 3 course has just opened at West London Golf Centre - though it's on/near land that used to a 9-holer previously _ believe.

Looking forward to playing it as the quick tour I was given by the owner showed it to look fabulous - finding a fairway could be challenging as they all seem to have some (small) slopes/mounds/valleys!

Was that Lady with the gold clubs Asian? Or Eastern European/Russian? Seems to be a 'favourite' match-up! I've seen a couple of groups of 4 from Hong Kong/Russia with that style - and with diferent coloured balls too (none white)! Have also seen a Ukranian high-flyer (I wonder whether he's still alive) with the epitome of those - Honma 5-Star Golds at £35k/set plus a £1 Gold putter! He has/had 3 sets so he didn't have to carry them when he travelled to his various homes!

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is a good thread, it's too easy to get wrapped up in the seriousness of golf, whether it be swings gone bad, handicaps too high, putter melt down, even where to bleeding stand.... Get out, have fun, enjoy the game. :thup:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Never played it. I keep meaning to take my boy down on a Sunday afternoon.
SB...Have you stopped playing New Malton?

It nosedived, place was hardly looked after last time I visited, membership has all moved to meridian.

I might sneak out there later this week as its on £5 for 18... That says it all really.

gripitripit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It nosedived, place was hardly looked after last time I visited, membership has all moved to meridian.

I might sneak out there later this week as its on £5 for 18... That says it all really.

Meridian has offers on a Monday don't they too? Yes £5 says it all. One to avoid I think. You planning on joining anywhere else?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Meridian has offers on a Monday don't they too? Yes £5 says it all. One to avoid I think. You planning on joining anywhere else?

No plans at the moment to join somewhere else until I get a new job. I need to get back to regular competitions and practice. I am open to local games on the cheap until then.

tallpaul

Head Pro
Visit site

This is a real shame. I played there about 18 months ago and was very disappointed with the condition of the course and the change in order of the holes (making the 18th the 9th was simply criminal). I appreciated the attempt to go eco-friendly but it really didn't seem to be working. I decided then it wasn't worth playing there anymore - a real pity if it's deteriorated further. I always thought it was a course with potential.

gripitripit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This is a real shame. I played there about 18 months ago and was very disappointed with the condition of the course and the change in order of the holes (making the 18th the 9th was simply criminal). I appreciated the attempt to go eco-friendly but it really didn't seem to be working. I decided then it wasn't worth playing there anymore - a real pity if it's deteriorated further. I always thought it was a course with potential.

My first thought was the "chemical free" maintenance has not worked out. Only ever played the front 9 but found it pretty decent and great VFM at the time. Alas I can it it drop off the radar unless something drastic happens

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A 'proper' par 3 course has just opened at West London Golf Centre - though it's on/near land that used to a 9-holer previously _ believe.

Looking forward to playing it as the quick tour I was given by the owner showed it to look fabulous - finding a fairway could be challenging as they all seem to have some (small) slopes/mounds/valleys!

Used to live 5 mins walk from there. Have played the previous 9holer. The greens were crap and it was quite shoehorned in. The amount of land they have there is better suited to a decent par 3 course, sounds like an improvement.
Is the driving range still a big net 100yards or so long?

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
I've started playing a local 9 hole course as it means I am only out the house for a couple of hours (we've got a 7 month old daughter and I feel a little guilty leaving my wife to do everything at home).

I actually really enjoy it. The course is in pretty good nick (except the tee box on the 6th which is not flat so your feet are either above or below the ball) but it isn't much of a challenge.

I played there on Saturday and was let through on the 1st by a family of 3. I was offered the chance to play through on the 6th by a husband and wife two-ball. But I actually said 'to be fair, you are keeping a pretty good pace and I'm enjoying myself out here so crack on'. All very friendly, very polite stuff really.

The only danger is that I'm not getting much practice on a course that will challenge me and I'm about to book a round on The Shire. I may need to take a couple of dozen balls in case.

Big D 88

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i played an 18 hole pitch & putt when i went to Devon with my family a few years back, when i wasn't really into golf that much

it was in Shaldon

http://www.teignbridge.gov.uk/shaldongolf

The course had some cracking views but it was quickly apparent that the course was built on the side of a cliff. Any approaches that didnt hit the green or thereabouts, rolled about 100 yards down a grassy bank, and a 90yard hole turned into a 200yard par 3 as a second shot!

But i loved it, and was probably one of the reasons i started playing golf more frequently

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played for the best part of a year at a 9 hole course, Sudbrook Moor. I could not recommend it highly enough, good condition, decent mix of par 3 and par 4 holes and as cheap as you like. Also has a great driving range a friendly and knowledgeable staff (a lot of people at my current club still use the pro there for lessons). The relaxed atmosphere and an attitude of 'if you are interested in trying golf then you are welcome here' is very refreshing and there is a great mix of families, beginners and serious golfers there.

People keep asking about how to get more people into golf when one simple suggestion is to build more 9 hole or par 3 courses where people can learn in a relaxed and fun environment that welcomes and encourages people to pitch up and have a go without the pressure that comes with playing a full length 18 hole course.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
i played an 18 hole pitch & putt when i went to Devon with my family a few years back, when i wasn't really into golf that much

it was in Shaldon

http://www.teignbridge.gov.uk/shaldongolf

The course had some cracking views but it was quickly apparent that the course was built on the side of a cliff. Any approaches that didnt hit the green or thereabouts, rolled about 100 yards down a grassy bank, and a 90yard hole turned into a 200yard par 3 as a second shot!

But i loved it, and was probably one of the reasons i started playing golf more frequently
I played Shaldon about 15 years ago, reminded me of the Dollar course in Scotland, I enjoyed playing both they are really good courses.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Currently spending my golfing time down my local par 3 pay 'n' play.

Cambridge Lakes is a great place to play golf no matter what your ability. Holes range from 80-140 yards, the greens are actually quite challenging and roll true. The grass is cut to proper height and is a good playing surface around the green and through it. Generally its well kept and there is nothing to complain about but as a "proper golfer" you do see some strange sights.

So far these include:

• A lady golfer who had a set of "gold" clubs, even the putter had a gold finish and she wore a "gold yellow" outfit.
  • A golfer who hit wood on EVERY shot, until they got on the green, yet had a set mostly made up of irons.
  • Some very strange swings.
  • A golfer who played while carrying a pencil bag, actually played the shots with the bag slung over their shoulder.
  • Golfers who try to chip/pitch their way around the course
  • A wide variety of takes on the "putting stroke", some just downright bizarre
  • The above again but for chipping.
  • Many new "rules" and rule interpretations, including club sharing aplenty!
  • Top Flites, topflites everywhere!
  • People stripping off to fetch balls out of the water for a lady friend.

The best thing about it can be seeing all the people just having fun playing this wonderful game, I can forgive them pretty much everything above.

The only thing I cannot forgive is lack of basic manners, which is actually quite rare! I get let through 99% of the time, as I am usually on my own and I find most greens. The 1% of groups who don't can really ruin it, even on a short course with just 9 holes.

I would suggest taking time away from our havens of golf, places where the list above would rarely be forgiven and see how the public enjoy golf.

You will actually be on the end of some funny comments at times, like "you must be good, all of your clubs match", you will see people having fun despite only hitting the ball every other time. You will also see families together, friends together, old couples and young couples. All having fun at golf.

Go, forgive them, join them for a round, don't just pile through with your fancy "pars", interact, share and encourage!

Best post ever... love it! Golf is the winner!

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Played here just after it opened, it's a full 9 hole par 36 "links" style course, nice mix of holes with accuracy the key. The rough is not friendly and if you hit your ball in it then reload and try again and lots of blind shots, Will play again but will give it some time to mature and for me to become a little more accurate.........

Mark