the hook chip

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
A shot worth trying if,like me ,you struggle with bump and runs with a 9 iron down off a tight.lie.I find my 52 is the perfect club for this.just play it off the back pinkie toe and shut the face. It guarantees your hands are ahead of the ball and increases the margin for error.I aim to hit it off the toe,it's actually quite hard to get wrong

IMAG0049.jpg

Seems unconventional but is a really handy shot under pressure

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
i just use the old putting stroke for the bump and run. lower lofts for an early landing and longer run out. Prob not the right technique but it sort of works for me.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hitting off the toe is good with the chip shot, it gives nice solid contact, You need to push down with your wrists so that the heel lifts and the toe sits down. Putting your hands ahead delofts the clubface and allows you to make clean contact, closing the face actually squares it up from this position. I like it.

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Watching Phil Mickleson training video about chipping totally give me confidence in my chips, im wizard around the greens with any club

T

thecraw

A shot worth trying if,like me ,you struggle with bump and runs with a 9 iron down off a tight.lie.I find my 52 is the perfect club for this.just play it off the back pinkie toe and shut the face. It guarantees your hands are ahead of the ball and increases the margin for error.I aim to hit it off the toe,it's actually quite hard to get wrong

IMAG0049.jpg

Seems unconventional but is a really handy shot under pressure

I only have 9 toes, my right little toe is missing, what do you suggest Grant?

:ears:

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
I only have 9 toes, my right little toe is missing, what do you suggest Grant?

:ears:

For an old boy like you I'd suggest you nip down to American golf and purchase this new fangled thing called a 'chipper'.all the big names are using them.paired with that mash hammer you use as a putting stick you'll look just the part

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't like playing anything off the back foot. Excessively downward strikes are a recipe for fats and duffs in my world.

I'd rather play off the middle of the stance and risk the bad one being a bit too clean if anything. At least it's going to go somewhere. Better percentage shot for me.

Understanding where the theoretical low point of the swing is has really helped my striking on all shots.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i play my hands infront of the ball. ball middle of stance. pretend to throw a ball to the hole for the speed of strike. couple of practice sweeps at that pace. then hit. 52 wedge most of the time. can throw them up with the 56 and 60 when necessary!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I don't like playing anything off the back foot. Excessively downward strikes are a recipe for fats and duffs in my world.

I'd rather play off the middle of the stance and risk the bad one being a bit too clean if anything. At least it's going to go somewhere. Better percentage shot for me.

Understanding where the theoretical low point of the swing is has really helped my striking on all shots.

Off the back foot is perfect IF you play the shots correctly with an OPEN stance. the reason it works so well is with an open stance your shoulders will GENERALLY open too... at worst they might be square to the target still which is still acceptable. However, if you line up square with the ball off your back foot there's a chance you might actually close your shoulders.. that's when you're dead! :p (grip down a club and play it off your back foot and see what happens to your shoulders) :thup:

Having the toe down slightly (standing slightly closer or gripping down) also often helps in that it stops the HEEL from hitting the ground and turning the club over.... and when chipping from just a few yards keep the club more in front of your right knee like you would a long putt rather than taking the club around behind you.

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can play a chip and run with any club. The difference is just how far I want it to fly and how far I want it to run. A 7 iron would be no good for a shot 4 yards to the green and 2 yards on.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can play a chip and run with any club. The difference is just how far I want it to fly and how far I want it to run. A 7 iron would be no good for a shot 4 yards to the green and 2 yards on.
I totally agree. I wouldnt pick a 7 iron for the shot you described. But I also wouldnt expect to get close to the hole with just 2yrds of green to work with, I'd be looking for the best place to miss and leave an easy putt.