The Grip, The vees ?

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You always read that the correct grip results in two vees created and that they should point towards the right ear / right shoulder

I am still in doubt where you actually see these vees and often the images on the internet or books are misleading

As this guide is always suggested as a must get right can you guys post images of your correct grip and highlight the vees please ?

AT leat this will confirm if in particular my right hand is too weak/ strong etc

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
There is no absolute correct grip. Look at the likes of Bernard Langer.
Other very good players have strong and some have weak grips, its all about what's right for you.
Having said that, if you are having problems with your direction, then the grip is in most cases the culprit which in turn affects the aim and the swingpath etc etc.
When you squeeze your thumb against the side of your hand, the line that is formed is the one that should point towards an area between your ear and shoulder....that is if you want a neutral grip.
Are you having problems with your direction?

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi Bob

Yes my club face is closed very slightly at impact so i may have too strong a grip

I still doubt my right hand ( rhander ) position and wonder if this is closing the face at impact

I do not want to set up at address with a slight open club face but if i do the spin to the left dissapears

I agree about no such thing as standard, maybe i should be more Hogan and less Tiger ?

Thanks for an early reply Bob

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes i can, slightly uncovered ( about half left side of left thumb not covered and i can see the tips of my right hand fingers but only just as i stand at address

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Excellent thanks Bob

Also just changed to the Interlock today and found that the right hand fits better

I think i have short fingers, the Vardon was forcing my right hand under the grip in an attempt to rest the pinkie in a comfortable position

Just being trying my new better interlock grip and even chipping is better now as i have found my wrists do not break down as much

Merry Xmas Bob !

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
ok i am going to try the interlocking grip for a while, seems to suit my short fingers better than the Vardon

Just experimented and i seem to get less club face errors at impact with interlocking and both hands feel better connected

I can also get the right hand in a better position ( rhander )

If its good enough for Luke, Tiger etc must be good enough for me !