The golf ball

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
There are some balls that I wouldn't use because I wouldn't like the feel off a putter face or wedge. However, I don't think I could tell the difference in a blind test between many others and for me it's a trade off between a firmer ball (AD333 tour, NXT etc) which I find gives me extra distance (hence use them in the winter and when the course isn't running) and a premium end ball that I can get to stop better and has a softer feel for putting and around the greens when it is dry (and I get roll on drives anyway) and firmer. I'll play with a number of brands. In essence to answer the OP's question, for a mid-handicapper, no, it won't make a discernible difference.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When I hit range balls i can feel they are not great

I play a much softer ball and it feels much nicer on the course.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I can feel the difference when I putt/chip. There may be a marginal difference with other clubs.

Will it affect my score? Almost certainly not.

The one ball variable which does make a difference is visibility. I reckon I find a yellow golf ball about once a round that I would struggle to see if it was white. That's 2 shots right there. More than most custom fittings deliver...

Strangely, the ball manufacturers don't seem to market the biggest equipment benefit available to a handicap golfer...

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can feel the difference when I putt/chip. There may be a marginal difference with other clubs.

Will it affect my score? Almost certainly not.

The one ball variable which does make a difference is visibility. I reckon I find a yellow golf ball about once a round that I would struggle to see if it was white. That's 2 shots right there. More than most custom fittings deliver...

Strangely, the ball manufacturers don't seem to market the biggest equipment benefit available to a handicap golfer...

When chipping and putting you are only feeling the cover of the ball, not it's construction, compression or it's dimple pattern! If your putter has an insert you are even further removed.

As to ball colours...you have never had so many choices from so many manufacturers! They clearly need to up their marketing budgets. From Volvik to Callaway in the extremes through Ping, Bridgestone and Srixon right up to Titleist. Bolder, brighter and on a range of balls.