The golf ball

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi

Do you think the golf can make an actual difference?

Especially to a mid-handicapper. (I take it that a low handicapper with there skill set may notice something more)

E.g. would one ball out perform another? Or will it be similar results regardless of the ball?

Need to purchase so wondering what to go for

Thanks

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
not a mid handicap... yet, but would say that yes i noticed a little difference, mostly in the putting. I bought a bag of lake balls to start me off, and once they were done bought the cheapest ball i had enjoyed hitting from the lake balls.

When they run out i'm going to get lake balls again.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Difference- absolutely, some can feel like rocks some can compress nicely. Spin/trajectory can be very different.

More useful point - it helps to use the same ball to have a chance to improve consistency.

robbeh32

Visit site
I don't notice a difference to my game but I certainly feel a difference. Not handicapped by the way. Also first post :cheers:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A 3 handicapper once told me too many people get a hard on over what ball they play

I know an 8 handicapper who players Dunlop’s and a 9 handicapper who plays pinnicle golds does seem to hold them back considering they could both be even lower if they practiced as well as playing once a week

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I think it is pretty similar to what Mark Crossfield found for shafts not so long ago (we had a lengthy discussion about it in case anyone missed it). The objective, measurable difference in performance is not that big between different models. It comes down to feel and how that influences the shot the player plays. So if a robot hit two different balls, how big would the difference in spin and distance actually be? I can't remember ever seeing that done (which is probably because ball manufacturers don't have much interest in doing it because it would show that the differences are minimal, but I could be wrong, of course)

I do find the occasional ball that does feel too hard and that I don't want to play. And recently I had one that, even though it claimed to be a 'lady distance' ball and from the outside was in really pristine condition, just did not go anywhere. Even on my best hits (and I struck it well that day), it fell a good 10 to 20 yards short of what I would have expected. I don't know if that was due to the model or it that specific ball was at fault. It felt very light to me (I did not put it on a scale or anything though). But this is all purely anecdotal. As I said, a robot test would be the way to go.

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Difference- absolutely, some can feel like rocks some can compress nicely. Spin/trajectory can be very different.

More useful point - it helps to use the same ball to have a chance to improve consistency.

good point - i am going to try and do this. I am torn between a premiumish ball or just get something cheaper. If the premium will make a positive difference then i will do this

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think it is pretty similar to what Mark Crossfield found for shafts not so long ago (we had a lengthy discussion about it in case anyone missed it). The objective, measurable difference in performance is not that big between different models. It comes down to feel and how that influences the shot the player plays. So if a robot hit two different balls, how big would the difference in spin and distance actually be? I can't remember ever seeing that done (which is probably because ball manufacturers don't have much interest in doing it because it would show that the differences are minimal, but I could be wrong, of course)

I do find the occasional ball that does feel too hard and that I don't want to play. And recently I had one that, even though it claimed to be a 'lady distance' ball and from the outside was in really pristine condition, just did not go anywhere. Even on my best hits (and I struck it well that day), it fell a good 10 to 20 yards short of what I would have expected. I don't know if that was due to the model or it that specific ball was at fault. It felt very light to me (I did not put it on a scale or anything though). But this is all purely anecdotal. As I said, a robot test would be the way to go.

I watched the video last night of the one with standard golf member. Interesting but looked the real difference was the guy holding the club

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would say it makes a small difference, yes. Not sure if it can be quantified as X number of shots improvement etc though

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Normally play a premium ball (always found never bought :) ) but last night out for 9 I found myself plucking a couple of (found) AD333s out of my ball pocket and played them - and I didn't feel any difference. Might have lost some yards off distance and some spin - but not such that I noticed.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
good point - i am going to try and do this. I am torn between a premiumish ball or just get something cheaper. If the premium will make a positive difference then i will do this

You don't need to go to a full premium ball to gain a positive difference.

The golf ball is a compromise; launch angle, spin rates (all of them) carry and trajectory plus this elusive feel element (It's mainly sound that you translate back into feel together with the strike from the club face) all overlayed on multiple compression and performance layers (in some cases).

If you have a steep angle of attack and a high club head speed you may not appreciate a ball that delivers high spin rates - low angle of attack and clubhead speed and you probably will.

From this simple element you will see that the right ball, or more realistically the right type of ball, for you will be a benefit.

Not all high handicap golfers have the same swing and strike charecteristics either - so bin that delineation.

Finally variation in swings will also make it difficult to make a meaningful subjective assessment of whats actually working well for you....but it's probably a good starting point! When you start to notice a difference is the time to consider your options.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes and no. The actual numbers probably wouldn't show much difference, but it's worth finding one you like the feel of and sticking with it I think. I tried a number of soft balls and ended up sticking with DX2s.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Use the best ball you can afford........to lose.

Now all you need to do is define/explain that term!!

Apart from a couple of awful feeling balls (either 'rocks' or 'sponges') actual performance doesn't seem to be affected greatly (it's on and, maybe, around the green where 'ball performance' is most obvious to me), but I know which balls I prefer to play.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I am a converted equipment skeptic - my best drives have been with found premium balls, and it runs better on putts. However, I still lose to many to justify the outlay so use a ball I'm comfortable with losing.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Another interesting point is the quality variation affecting putting in particular:
https://youtu.be/LSaXM5o2mR0

Haven’t tested this myself but it would make sense that the main difference between balls might be not in design but in quality control of the production (tollerances etc).