The gift of (practice) time

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
An enforced shift change at work means I now have time to fit it two 2 hour visits to the range each week. First week this week and I basically hit a pyramid of balls with assorted clubs concentrating on impact point on club face, did 20 minutes chipping on the short-game green then 20 minutes putting practice and still time for coffee after

Not going to ask what should I do because you don’t know my game but to give me ideas and inspiration, what would you do with a couple of 2 hour sessions?

Visit site
An enforced shift change at work means I now have time to fit it two 2 hour visits to the range each week. First week this week and I basically hit a pyramid of balls with assorted clubs concentrating on impact point on club face, did 20 minutes chipping on the short-game green then 20 minutes putting practice and still time for coffee after

Not going to ask what should I do because you don’t know my game but to give me ideas and inspiration, what would you do with a couple of 2 hour sessions?

Go see an Accredited Aimpoint Pro 😂😂😂

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Practice hitting your GW 50 yards

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Personally with a 2 hour practice slot.

Half hour striking balls, half hour short game and then an hour playing a few holes.

If I couldn't play any holes I'd do both for about 45mins with a little break in-between.

Have a lesson and discuss with the pro any drills you can do to further your game.

I run a few drills now when I practice that i've discussed with my pro that suits my game and my goals.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't really have time or proper facilities to practise. If I did, the thing I would focus on right now would be wedges. I sometimes struggle when I have 50 yards, or 40 or 60, or even 90 yards - anything which is not a full swing as it's in between my full wedge yardages. I would really work on that so I knew exactly how much to swing for each distance.

D

Deleted member 3432

Whatever you do take your time to think about what you are doing. Proper pre shot routine, practice swing etc. Don't just hit balls one after another machine gun fashion as is common on many ranges.

My pro tells me to focus on proper practice, "if you put crap in, you get crap out" is how he describes it.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I’d work on ball control with chipping & pitching so I can check/Stop the ball better and have it release on demand.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Bunkers, chipping, pitching.
I’ll purposely hook balls, toe balls, shank balls, fade balls, draw balls low balls, high balls.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
With a 2 hour window, I would probably hit 25 balls on the range, aiming at different targets, with different clubs trying different shot shapes.

I would then spend the rest of the time divided between chipping and putting.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Play through your favourite course in your mind. Imagine you are on the first tee and hit whatever club you would hit to tee off. Then, judging on your ball flight, think where you would have ended up and plan your next shot from there. All the way to the green. It guarantees that you don't just hit the same club/shot over and over again and the result of your shots on the range has an impact on what you do next.

Another thing I like to do is to find a target that's relatively close (for me it's usually 50 m, but for a man it is probably better set at 75 or even 100 m) and try to hit it with as many different clubs as possible.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I went to the range on Sunday and thought I would really try and work on the wedge game.

I was hitting to flags on the range at 45, 65 and 85 yards. All very successfully with my 52. I thought this was a great session and I didn't bother hitting the driver at all.

When I got on the course on Monday, I realised how completely different it was playing on a course with uneven lies, bare ground, firm ground, damp ground, rough, elevation changes etc. Obviously compared to a perfect flat lie on a pretty forgiving mat, it is very easy to be lulled into a false sense of security.

For me, practising will be about trying as hard to simulate on course conditions. Sure, it's fine to hit a few full shots on the range, especially when it's dark, or very wet - but there will be no substitute for using proper practice areas with the main challenges that a real golf course will provide.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
50 quality balls, going through my pre shot routine, through the bag then a coffee or a cuppa.

Job done.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Thanks guys, some interesting methods

I cant do that visualise a course/hole etc its just not in my head.
Luckily the course near me has a great range/practice area so all hits are off grass and short game area has banks, slopes and different bunkers to practice with to a green