the future of the ryder cup

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
as per the title is there a future for the ryder cup ? with all the in fighting amongst the Americans are they going to have anyone around that would want to captain such a group of ego driven individuals..on paper it looks like a job for superman to try and forge a team out of a totally disheartened bunch that have shown there true colours by all the backbiting that is going on . will they want to play again or would they decline the offer as they dont want the bitchyness that comes with losing.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They lost on foreign soil which they haven’t won on in 25 years

They prefect bombing courses rather than thinking courses

“
Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.”

The next cup will be a lot closer..

D

Deleted member 15344

The future is it will get bigger and the intensity of it will get bigger

There has always been issues after a team loses - that’s the nature of the event , reports come out of infighting and players not getting on , the captain gets strung up - a year later a new guy is picked and the build up starts all over again

It’s always the same when the US lose but they come back fighting again and I wouldn’t be surprised if they won next time

After 99 and then the cancellation because of 9/11 the RC became more friendly , more gracious etc but it’s started to creep towards those Brookline levels again - don’t be surprised if it blows up at Whistling Straits

OOB

Medal Winner
Visit site
Suspect that winning at home will become the norm and away wins will become the rarity. The future will become “how to win away.”

It’s easy to gel a winning team, and fractures will always appear in losing sides. I’ve been involved in enough team sports over the years to know how you can forgive someone who is a total bellend when they are a guaranteed w for the team.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If it doesn't go pear-shaped at Whistling Straits, it definitely will at Bethpage Black. The fans at the two US Opens were the worst behaved in history. God knows how bad they will be at a Ryder Cup.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
It is definitely unfortunate that the past 3 Ryder Cups have all been big home wins. But before that 2010 and 2012 were both nail biters.

There are reasons for all of this. in 2014, McGinley captained the side amazingly and he got brilliant performances out of some rookies (who were used to playing Gleneagles on the ET).
In 2016, Clarke had too many rookies on an away game and tried to hide these guys rather than just going with it. Also, the rookies we had were guys who had mainly played on the European Tour, not international guys like we have had this year.
This year, the course set up favoured us brilliantly and the American's made a few unforced errors and Europe simply didn't.

However, these events are very finely balanced and it might only take one result on the Saturday to turn it into a very close contest.

The fact that this is every 2 years suggests we probably won't see a lot of changes to the format. If it was every year then we would probably see more in the way of tweaks to try and make it a bit closer or more dramatic.

I also think the Fed Ex Cup playoffs changing (reducing to 3 events and being a bit earlier) will massively help the the Americans. Quite a few of their players came into the Ryder Cup this year having played 4 weeks out of the last 5. Which is certainly more professional golf than most guys would chose to play in an ideal schedule. Especially before a big high pressure event.

2027 is the centenary of the event, and this may have been a good opportunity to do an extra 'one off' event where you can change the format a bit. However I don't believe there is anything planned.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
There are reasons for all of this. in 2014, McGinley captained the side amazingly and he got brilliant performances out of some rookies (who were used to playing Gleneagles on the ET).

You mean like Stephen Gallagher :unsure:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
You mean like Stephen Gallagher :unsure:

I meant Victor Dubuisson and Jamie Donaldson. Effectively journeyman European Tour players, albeit Victor was maybe trending to being better than that. I think they won at least 6 points between them.

Paul said he felt bad about Stephen Gallagher because he got into the team so late. (wild card pick after a decent result in the final qualifying event) and so he hadn't planned how to use him or gotten him paired with anyone throughout other European events. Obviously massively unfortunately for Paul that he didn't even win half a point.

Wolf

Visit site
Having been lucky enough to attend this years one (well day one at least), I think the format is tried, tested and works perfectly well. Don't think there was any surprise that Justin Thomas was the best US performer and the only one to have traveled over and played in the French Open this year to get a feel for the course. I'm no Pro and can only ever dream of being 1/2 as good as these guys but having played there previously in Tournament conditions like Thomas did sure that was more benefit to him playing there under pressure to perform than a mere practice round or two would have been to the other US Players.

It could just merely be they need to look at there selection process and how to develop a team environment instead of being a bunch of individuals, i've been out the game a long time but isn't this waht Azinger did with the POD system to create a better unit. Or Perhaps the players need to venture off their own glitz and glamour tour a bit more to play the venues to get better used to them.