The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It has been debated at great length that Southgate probably lacks the tactical nous to get the best out of the talent England currently have, but what frustrates me is that he can't seem to sort the defence out either, admittedly there isn't the same quality of player available in defence but England seem to give up so many 'soft' goals!

I don't doubt for one second that he has brought about a complete change in attitude and team spirit within all his squads, he is excellent when addressing the media, he just lacks that extra quality that the truly great managers have.

see if France will let us use Sailba, Deschamps still not a fan of anyone linked to Arsenal lol

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tonali at Newcastle has been charged by the English FA for betting now, for the period he was at Newcastle and before the Italian charge was made :oops: .

Would that get added onto the Italian suspension, if found guilty, or would it deemed to have been served?

What a mess.

4LEX

Visit site
Probably looking at another lengthy ban.

I do have a big issue with football whoring itself out to betting companies, encouraging gambling and then punishing people for the problems the've created. On the other hand, players betting on football with the inside knowledge, friends at other clubs etc is so dodgy.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I do have a big issue with football whoring itself out to betting companies, encouraging gambling and then punishing people for the problems the've created. On the other hand, players betting on football with the inside knowledge, friends at other clubs etc is so dodgy.
I think that is the key issue for me, regarding recent bans. I totally agree with your first part and I can see it going the same way as smoking sponsorship shortly. For those players with issues, bet on something else, stay clear of football.

4LEX

Visit site
I think that is the key issue for me, regarding recent bans. I totally agree with your first part and I can see it going the same way as smoking sponsorship shortly. For those players with issues, bet on something else, stay clear of football.

They must be crazy to bet on football when they know the punishment is going to be nearly a whole season out of action.

I was listening to a podcast a while back and Matt Le Tissier was openly admitting spread betting was common back in the 90's. He himself got involved in a bet on what minute the first throw in would be and he tried to put the ball of play direct from the kick off, only to underhit it :ROFLMAO:

Newcastle must be gutted about this news after investing so much in Tonali and he was looking like a proper player too.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
They must be crazy to bet on football when they know the punishment is going to be nearly a whole season out of action.

I was listening to a podcast a while back and Matt Le Tissier was openly admitting spread betting was common back in the 90's. He himself got involved in a bet on what minute the first throw in would be and he tried to put the ball of play direct from the kick off, only to underhit it :ROFLMAO:

Newcastle must be gutted about this news after investing so much in Tonali and he was looking like a proper player too.
There was a story going around about how Peter Shilton owed money to bookies and was in a mess in the cha going room. Cloughie heard about it and gave the money to Shilton. Shilton had a man of the match performance. After the game Shilton thanked Cloughie. Cloughie said “ don’t worry it’s coming out of next weeks wages”.
Now the way it was told it was funny. But is it. Footballer have gambled since Jesus was in nappies and now it a massive problem not helped in any way by football that takes money from gambling companies.
Even now Harry Redknapp gets paid to advertise betting.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
In which case they might as well take out a billboard ad by the M25 explaining their intention to destroy a footballers career.

Having served an 8 month ban, any further ban imposed will be purely spiteful, unless it is either nominal in length or "suspended".

Yes he's done wrong. But surely if he's been working to rehabilitate himself over the last few months then handing him a further ban can only have a detrimental effect on his mental wellbeing.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In which case they might as well take out a billboard ad by the M25 explaining their intention to destroy a footballers career.

Having served an 8 month ban, any further ban imposed will be purely spiteful, unless it is either nominal in length or "suspended".

Yes he's done wrong. But surely if he's been working to rehabilitate himself over the last few months then handing him a further ban can only have a detrimental effect on his mental wellbeing.
By your direction of thought, a drink driver who is convicted and then gets caught again after serving a ban should be let off having "served his punishment"?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
By your direction of thought, a drink driver who is convicted and then gets caught again after serving a ban should be let off having "served his punishment"?
Utter claptrap.

Drink driving is a crime that is socially offensive.

Having a gambling addiction is utterly different. I cant believe you drew a comparison between the two.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Gambling isn’t the problem tho.
He could bet on anything else,but not football 🤷‍♂️

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Surely, a longer ban is in order. He is a serial offender, and he knew the risks, if his career is destroyed it is down to him and him alone.

To suggest a further ban should be reduced or suspended creates a precedent for appeal for all subsequent offenders which is not IMO beneficial to the game.