The EFL Thread

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Bad news coming out of Reading that they have sold their training ground to Wycombe, another nail in their coffin and the EFL looks on as they get asset stripped?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
maybe they could take another look at their fit and proper owners test and who they pass for starters.........
Horse has bolted on this one though, sadly.

Selling land assets, leasing them back via a separate company etc has been going on for a while and has happened at other clubs, across business (BHS was an obvious recent example). A very sneaky way to operate but not illegal ☹️

4LEX

Visit site
This a really weird move for a number of reasons.

The main being Wycombe are a very small club and can't afford it. The funding is coming from one of their new directors and rumours are circulating he's also planning to buy the stadium and eventually the club, resigning his position at Wycombe. I fear for both Reading and Wycombe in this deal.

The deal is worth £25m, which is undervalued given it cost £50m to build just 5 years ago. The reason for the cut price sale is the transaction is direct into Dai Yongge's private bank account in China which could end up being a huge issue legally if he defaults on future tax payments.

Good sources have claimed we were close to a sale but Yongge pulled the plug as he realised he could get more by selling the training ground, stadium and the club in three transactions. Mike Ashley is very interested in the stadium and is keeping a keen eye on things. It wouldn't surprise me if he swoops in the summer. Wycombe are complicit in whatever happens next as without this sale, it would've forced his hand to sell the club as one. Now it gives him the time and means to split it all, pocket all the money and sell the remains in the summer. Which is essentially the name, players and the fan base. Once it gets to that point, he could quite easily liquidate the club out of spite. You're talking about one of the oldest clubs in the country, founded in 1871. I know we're not the most famous or successful club but we've got a fanbase of 20,000 when doing well in the Championship. Even this season with the club in a mess, terrible football we're averaging 13,000 at home and nearly 1,500 away.

There's a protest planned outside Wycombe's stadium tomorrow night which could turn ugly and the Reading v Cambridge game on Saturday looks set to be disrupted, maybe abandoned. Things have been toxic for a while but this is pouring petrol on the flames.

Last edited:

4LEX

Visit site
Thankfully the protest at Wycombe's ground went well and without trouble, bar plastering all the signs with stickers.

No more news on the training ground sale but a group of Americans are rumoured to be close to a takeover of the club. The deal doesn't include the training ground, just the club and the stadium. It's not ideal but I would take that all day long at the moment!

D

Deleted member 35504

Well......

Loud protests aimed at Ian Foster our manager at Home Park today.

Fans pretty disgusted with the style of play, his incredibly boring personality, the fact that he stands in the dugout every single match like a carboard cut-out with his hands in his pockets and the lack of any apparent empathy and emotional "buy in". One of the first things he did was stop the traditional players' autographs for the waiting kids on arrival before the match, also some issue with blanking the mascots and stuff like that apparently. Not drastic stuff if the team are winning, but 4 home matches in a row with no goals, not one single shot on target today although Bundu heading wide from 5 yards wasn't Fozzie's fault.

We're a small club and everyone expected a struggle, the first half of the season was brilliant as we were up there with the top scorers so losing exciting games wasn't the end of the world. This is absolute dross though...Not sure what the answer is with 8 games remaining, the popular choice is get Warnock back in as a firefighter and motivator, the fans love him and he lives local.

Come on Argyle! 🙏💚💚

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well......

Loud protests aimed at Ian Foster our manager at Home Park today.

Fans pretty disgusted with the style of play, his incredibly boring personality, the fact that he stands in the dugout every single match like a carboard cut-out with his hands in his pockets and the lack of any apparent empathy and emotional "buy in". One of the first things he did was stop the traditional players' autographs for the waiting kids on arrival before the match, also some issue with blanking the mascots and stuff like that apparently. Not drastic stuff if the team are winning, but 4 home matches in a row with no goals, not one single shot on target today although Bundu heading wide from 5 yards wasn't Fozzie's fault.

We're a small club and everyone expected a struggle, the first half of the season was brilliant as we were up there with the top scorers so losing exciting games wasn't the end of the world. This is absolute dross though...Not sure what the answer is with 8 games remaining, the popular choice is get Warnock back in as a firefighter and motivator, the fans love him and he lives local.

Come on Argyle! 🙏💚💚

Schumacher to Stoke was terrible for all parties. Would you have him back? Looks like he could be available in the not too distant future....

Personally, I wouldn't be keen on getting Warnock in if I were you, but I can see the attraction given staying up is so critical. If you are sacking your manager though, someone like Alex Neil could be a good option - not sure who is and isn't realistic for a club like PAFC.

Anyway, even though we're always dreadful when we play away at your place, I hope you stay up. But before that, I hope you lose on good friday ;)

D

Deleted member 35504

Schumacher to Stoke was terrible for all parties. Would you have him back? Looks like he could be available in the not too distant future....

Personally, I wouldn't be keen on getting Warnock in if I were you, but I can see the attraction given staying up is so critical. If you are sacking your manager though, someone like Alex Neil could be a good option - not sure who is and isn't realistic for a club like PAFC.

Anyway, even though we're always dreadful when we play away at your place, I hope you stay up. But before that, I hope you lose on good friday ;)
The Schuey ship has sailed, but we were gutted when he left and would have much preferred he stayed. Not sure there'd be any trust or love if he came back.

With 8 games left we simply need someone to somehow scrape the team together to get enough points in the bag, however they do it. Warnock has the passion, experience and gravitas that most don't have and would be as good as anyone.

Hope you have a rotten Easter 😜😅

sunshine

Visit site
The Schuey ship has sailed, but we were gutted when he left and would have much preferred he stayed. Not sure there'd be any trust or love if he came back.

With 8 games left we simply need someone to somehow scrape the team together to get enough points in the bag, however they do it. Warnock has the passion, experience and gravitas that most don't have and would be as good as anyone.

Where does Warnock live?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I'm not so sure Warnock really still has that fire in his belly anymore. He seemed almost jokey at Aberdeen - seems to enjoy being a character while doing punditry, appearing on Tubes and Ange Golf Life etc.. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like he's ready for a couple of years of after dinner speeches or whatever now, rather than taking on another relegation scrap. His record at Aberdeen was awful, he didn't win a league game, did he?

Also, 8 games isn't long enough. Although he got Huddersfield going in the end last season, his first 8 games yielded 8 points, and included two 4-0 defeats and a 3-0 defeat.

Your fixtures look to me like you should get the points you need. Other than us, Leicester and Hull, the other 5 games look pretty kind. Hopefully Hull will be out of the playoff race come the last day too, and then even that one doesn't look too bad. We've won 6 in a row at home, unbeaten in 11, which probably means you'll beat us. The championship is like that.

As a football fan, it's never as bad as you think it is.

4LEX

Visit site
Another chaotic week in the life of Reading FC.

Battered Cambridge 4-0 with three world class goals
Wycombe pull out of buying the training ground due to planning permission details
Three buyers in the frame to buy the club
Dai Yongge considering all deals
Our sponsor Select Car Leasing paying wages/tax bill yet again

There has never been a situation where an owner is so wealthy but has pulled the plug on a club. It's got to the point where he would rather see the club fold than accept £20-30m out of spite, as he will never recover the money he's wasted.

4LEX

Visit site
Latest rumours are he's messing the bidders around and all of them are close to walking away. It's got to the point it might well take a forced administration to get rid of him and we start next season on -12. I would take that in a heartbeat, that's how bad the situation is.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I don’t know who the co-commentator is on the Bristol City v Leicester game but she is awful. She simply hasn’t got a clue.

She called a “stonewall” penalty for Bristol City in the first half following a minor tug on the striker’s shorts, outside the area, after which he went down in the area as though he had been shot. That was just one of a number of head scratchers which had me wondering if she was even watching the same game.

Personally, I couldn’t give two hoots what gender a co-commentator or pundit is. If they know their stuff and can articulate it, they’re good enough.

But this woman will merely have the likes of Joey Barton reaching for his blood pressure monitor. She’s that bad.

Last edited:

babylonsinger

Visit site
I don’t know who the co-commentator is on the Bristol City v Leicester game but she is awful. She simply hasn’t got a clue.

She called a “stonewall” penalty for Bristol City in the first half following a minor tug on the striker’s shorts after which he went down as though he had been shot. That was just one of a number of head scratchers which had me wondering if she was even watching the same game.

Personally, I couldn’t give two hoots what gender a co-commentator or pundit is. If they know their stuff and can articulate it, they’re good enough.

But this woman will merely have the likes of Joey Barton reaching for his blood pressure monitor. She’s that bad.
It'll be Courtney Sweetman-Kirk I'd guess as she's generally used as a Championship expert. Can't comment on today but she's generally pretty decent.

She sounds like she's from Leicester though so perhaps she's gone a bit rogue to avoid looking biased

Last edited: