the effect of bigger grips

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm having to fit bigger grips to my irons due to a tendon problem in my hands. (Going up to Ping Midsize (Yellows) from a standard Tour Velvet)

What difference will it make to the shot and what changes/ adjustments can I expect to have to make?

rob2

Head Pro
Visit site
I think bigger grips will slow the release of the hands so you may find things drifting right.

Experts - please correct me if I am wrong :D :D

Rob2

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the replies are correct.

I've tried the odd club with thick grips and can't get the face square quite as easily.

I once played with a set of ladies clubs and found the thin grips excellent for me.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Yep, you will lose it right.

I was amazed at the difference when I went to Titleist. Lamkin crossline, with one layer of tape, fine, 2 layers, fine, 3 layers perfect, 4 layers, everything carved off to the right. One layer of tape, and any control had gone completely. Went back to 3 layers, and perfect again.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I pick them up tonight, so I guess it's straight down the range.

Homer, this isn't one for the pro. sorting it out may be but getting them is a medical necessity. I've got nodules on the tendons which stick; sometimes the fingers don't close as easily, sometimes one will stick closed for a few moments. it makes it harder to grip down onto smaller grips and to grip evenly.