Midsize grips ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can anyone tell me does replacing a standard grip with a midsize grip affect swingweight.
Saw a video of Tour X , thinking of going there for some irons.
Nick suggested that it can.
But by how much and what would be the outcome shot wise.
My current irons seem very light in the head is that a possibility.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I can't believe it wouldn't. A standard Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 is 50g, the midsize is 58g; Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 goes from 52g standard to 66g midsize. I can't believe adding that much extra weight at that end won't affect the swing weight when Titleist supplies weights as little as +/-2g different from standard at the head end.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
There may be a change in swingweight when measured on a scale, but the fact that much of the additional weight is at the point where the hands grip the club, means the actual effect felt during the swing is likely to be utterly negligible.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There may be a change in swingweight when measured on a scale, but the fact that much of the additional weight is at the point where the hands grip the club, means the actual effect felt during the swing is likely to be utterly negligible.
Yes that’s what I always thought.
The comment from Nick the fitter just put a dought in my head.
That’s not a good thing.
Thanks.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you go on the Golf Pride website it shows the expected weight of each grip.

good guide here

https://www.thediygolfer.com/swing-weight-adjustment-guidelines/

Having weighed many grips before fitting then they can be quite a wide variance in individual grips.
That’s interesting so 5g at the grip end decreases by 1SW
So a multi compound midsize +4 is 14g heavier that’s nearly 3 SW if my math is correct.
That’s a lot.
I will get my clubs checked to see if it’s that far out

Blue in Munich

Visit site

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That’s interesting so 5g at the grip end decreases by 1SW
So a multi compound midsize +4 is 14g heavier that’s nearly 3 SW if my math is correct.
That’s a lot.
I will get my clubs checked to see if it’s that far out

As per Bobmac if you could really tell the difference is another matter. What is important is that all clubs are the same swing weight.

I just do it before fitting as I can, having got a swing weight scale.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
And yet that's exactly what back weighting or counter weighting does. The change in the grip weights is back weighting by another name.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/back-weight-your-golf-clubs-wi

But back weighting is usually achieved by adding a counterweight right at the butt of the club....so it sits above the fulcrum where the hands grip the club....that article talks about a 40 gram tungsten weight fitted right at the butt....40g is a considerable weight sitting above the hands so yes....that is likely to make a significant difference.
A rubber midsized grip however, will have the additional weight distributed along its entire length....some of the additional weight will sit below the hands, some above the hands, but the majority of the additional weight will be in the area where the hands make contact with the grip.

A change from a 52 g standard grip to a 58g midsized grip is unlikely to provide anything like a similar level of backweighting as adding a physical counterweight, and whilst there may be a measureable difference on a scale, because much of the additional weight sits very close to where the hands grip the club, a player is unlikely to notice a difference.

That is of course my opinion. But it is based on 15 years experience of building my own clubs.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
But back weighting is usually achieved by adding a counterweight right at the butt of the club....so it sits above the fulcrum where the hands grip the club....that article talks about a 40 gram tungsten weight fitted right at the butt....40g is a considerable weight sitting above the hands so yes....that is likely to make a significant difference.
A rubber midsized grip however, will have the additional weight distributed along its entire length....some of the additional weight will sit below the hands, some above the hands, but the majority of the additional weight will be in the area where the hands make contact with the grip.

A change from a 52 g standard grip to a 58g midsized grip is unlikely to provide anything like a similar level of backweighting as adding a physical counterweight, and whilst there may be a measureable difference on a scale, because much of the additional weight sits very close to where the hands grip the club, a player is unlikely to notice a difference.

That is of course my opinion. But it is based on 15 years experience of building my own clubs.

In the case of that particular grip, yes; in the case of a lot of other counter weights the weight will sit beneath the hands, exactly as it will in the grip. Tour Lock & Super Stroke for example. It will undoubtedly move the balance point & thus the swing weight; the only questions are by how much and whether the player will notice it.

Many amateurs won't notice the difference. However a certain manufacturer had assembled a number of drivers for one of their touring pros. All the components had been carefully weighed to ensure that the drivers were identical. After testing, the pro was asked if he had a preference; "The heavy one" was the reply. After being told that they were identical, the pro insisted that he preferred the heavy one. Out came the scales and indeed, the preferred driver was heavier; by the weight of a couple of dollar bills.

if the OP says that his irons feel heavy in the head then maybe he is more sensitive to the change than others might be?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
In the case of that particular grip, yes; in the case of a lot of other counter weights the weight will sit beneath the hands, exactly as it will in the grip. Tour Lock & Super Stroke for example. It will undoubtedly move the balance point & thus the swing weight; the only questions are by how much and whether the player will notice it.

Many amateurs won't notice the difference. However a certain manufacturer had assembled a number of drivers for one of their touring pros. All the components had been carefully weighed to ensure that the drivers were identical. After testing, the pro was asked if he had a preference; "The heavy one" was the reply. After being told that they were identical, the pro insisted that he preferred the heavy one. Out came the scales and indeed, the preferred driver was heavier; by the weight of a couple of dollar bills.

if the OP says that his irons feel heavy in the head then maybe he is more sensitive to the change than others might be?

Yes...I'll concede that there are some people who are particularly sensitive to swing weight differences.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Not saying I am particularly sensitive.
But since I have changed these grips I can’t hit a cows backside with a banjo.
The head feels very light not heavy and I just can’t feel where it is.
Had standard grips with 2 layers on and changed to midsize +4 .

Thanks for all the advice guys it’s very informative.

Blue in Munich

Visit site

If that was standard Tour Velvets to midsize MCC +4, then that's an extra 16g on the figures I found (from https://www.adoregolfgrips.com ).

According to this https://www.tgw.com/golf-guide/what-is-swing-weight/ then for each 5g at the grip, the swingweight changes by 1 point. So that's 3 points lighter you've made the clubs if the weight figures are correct. I'm not surprised it feels lighter, nor that you notice a difference.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If that was standard Tour Velvets to midsize MCC +4, then that's an extra 16g on the figures I found (from https://www.adoregolfgrips.com ).

According to this https://www.tgw.com/golf-guide/what-is-swing-weight/ then for each 5g at the grip, the swingweight changes by 1 point. So that's 3 points lighter you've made the clubs if the weight figures are correct. I'm not surprised it feels lighter, nor that you notice a difference.
Thank god for that.
I thought I had lost my game.
My woods and putting is fine but I look like a novice on the par 3s.
It’s getting in my head.
Thanks for your input very informative.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Easiest thing to do would be to blow one grip off so that you could reuse it if necessary, regrip that club with a standard grip as per what you had and see if the feel comes back. If it does you’ll know the answer.

The other alternative that springs to mind is that because of the change in size, you are somehow modifying the way you grip the club (less in the fingers, more in the palm?) and that is costing you the feel you used to have.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

If most of the misses are in one particular direction it is a sign that the grips are the wrong thickness for your hands/swing. I know , from experience of a custom fit, if I have thicker grips I get the pushes with them.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If most of the misses are in one particular direction it is a sign that the grips are the wrong thickness for your hands/swing. I know , from experience of a custom fit, if I have thicker grips I get the pushes with them.
It’s not so much a one way miss.
It’s more a ball striking thing.
I just can’t seem to get the ball in the middle of the club.
I seem to be hitting every bad shot in the book.
Yet my driving and woods are ok and they have the same grips on.
Scratching my head a bit.will do what BIM suggests and re grip 7 iron with a standard one to try.