The dreaded slice

kinhell

Head Pro
Visit site
I've been playing well lately but today, every mid to long iron I hit either scurried along the ground or sliced wildy. So frustrating as I was driving the ball great. I couldn't fathom out what I was doing at all.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been playing well lately but today, every mid to long iron I hit either scurried along the ground or sliced wildy. So frustrating as I was driving the ball great. I couldn't fathom out what I was doing at all.

Probably either leaving your weight on your right side too much through impact or/& allowing your left wrist to break down (bit of a flip upwards with the wrists) so at impact there's an upward movement.

So with the ball on the ground your more likely to top long the ground as you describe as the leading edge of the club face connects with the top half of the ball.

With the ball up on a tee, so higher, with this action your likely to get some of the face onto the ball but it will still be a bit of a glancing blow club face open, couple that with an out to in swing path and you'll get a slice, occasionally a pull.