The death of the snooker room

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
12 yrs at my club and have never seen anyone use it.
Usually has boxes on it.
Was talk of a vote to get rid but not heard anything.
I like snooker but am not very good at it , so don’t play.

D

Deleted member 25172

Got 2 in the members bar and at least one is used pretty much every time I'm in there. Could do with getting rid of one.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played Wallasey years ago .
Casual dress in the bar ,but if you wanted to play snooker you needed a tie????
They leant us two from behind the bar.
Weird.

Swango1980

Visit site
I'd love a snooker room at out place, even though I'm dire at it. It's interesting that some have said they are barely used. With golf membership dwindling over many years, I always felt that additional facilities in club houses could at least increase the footfall through the bar, if not attract a few more members who are keen on golf but also enjoy, say a game of snooker or pool.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd love a snooker room at out place, even though I'm dire at it. It's interesting that some have said they are barely used. With golf membership dwindling over many years, I always felt that additional facilities in club houses could at least increase the footfall through the bar, if not attract a few more members who are keen on golf but also enjoy, say a game of snooker or pool.
Ours is Rumoured to be turned into a indoor practice area .
Simulator for the pro to teach and the members to book .
That was years ago and it’s down to finance that it’s not been done yet.
There’s tables and chairs in there for social functions and in reality it’s just a store room.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We've got one upstairs. I'd been a member for a couple of years before I found out about it. Quite a few members are unaware of its existence. Apparently it is used (but very infrequently) by a handful of the seniors.

D

Deleted member 25172

If you have a members bar does that mean you have a separate bar area for visitors? I'm not trying to be a smart alec, genuine question.

We do, but anytime I have visitors we go to the members bar, and so does everyone else. My club is as far away from stuck up as you can get to be honest, so it's probably more that they just haven't thought about removing the sign as it's not really in force.

You might, possibly, have someone ask to remove your hat in the club house but that's as far as the "old rules" go really.

Swango1980

Visit site
ours went last year

never knew it existed tbh
Almost seems like poor planning. I guess if our place has a snooker table, you could organise a little snooker league or something to take place through the year. Little bit of money to cover silly prizes, but just to have a few extra people spending money behind bar and giving a bit more benefit to paying an annual membership for the club. I understand, as robinthehood says, if it was removed because better use of the space was proposed, like a golf simulator. But, if it just ends up as a storage room for empty boxes, I think someone needs to up their game in adding to the value of the club.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Still got two at mine, look forward to getting back to it. One of the members runs a couple of knock outs during the winter, makes a nice change from being indoors when it's too dark to play outside. :)

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I wish my club had one. I used to play snooker often.

We do have a pool table but that is covered up as you would definitely catch covid if it was in use. ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We had one when the clubhouse was situated on the race course. Rarely used and was got rid off as soon as we were told we had to move. Rarely used. My first club Wimbledon Commom had one, which was between the bar and the changing rooms so you always had people walking through as you tried to play. That was used loads and they even had an annual snooker comp

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My dad's club got rid of theirs and changed it into a golf simulator room. This gets far more use than the snooker table ever did.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
What a coincidence, I received an email this week informing the members that they could vote on ours which is in the members bar (used by anyone). Keep it, get rid and replace it with a pool table, get rid and rearrange the bar so that it has more seating.
If I bothered to vote it would probably be to keep it as it is generally well used, my alternative vote would be to provide extra seating.