The cost of a Hole-in-One

Are you a Golf Club Member with Insurance to cover this?

• YES

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • NO

Votes: 41 65.1%
  • Our Club's 2's club contributes towards one.

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think its round the right way just now

If you’re celebrating things you’ve done or achieved it’s the individual who did ‘it’ that’s buying the drinks/gifts etc i.e Hole in one, birth of a child, big promotion/bonus etc
If you’re celebrating things that’ll happen of their own accord with no effort, then it’s others who buy you the congratulatory drinks/gifts i.e on birthdays, anniversary etc

Who's coming home from holiday to a houseful of gifts? Nope its the person who went on holiday that's bringing back the tat
Would @Orikoru collect a bunch of cigars from various family/friends... or is it more likely/usual he'd be the one who bought cigars to hand out
Ohh, you and your sensible ways ...! You'll just go & spoil a good argument :):):)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think its round the right way just now

If you’re celebrating things you’ve done or achieved it’s the individual who did ‘it’ that’s buying the drinks/gifts etc i.e Hole in one, birth of a child, big promotion/bonus etc
If you’re celebrating things that’ll happen of their own accord with no effort, then it’s others who buy you the congratulatory drinks/gifts i.e on birthdays, anniversary etc

Who's coming home from holiday to a houseful of gifts? Nope its the person who went on holiday that's bringing back the tat
Would @Orikoru collect a bunch of cigars from various family/friends... or is it more likely/usual he'd be the one who bought cigars to hand out
I have highlighted the key words here - as opposed to buying gifts for everyone in your golf club, some of whom you've probably never met. 😄

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
The owners have little class and instead of sharing in the joy and selling a bottle at cost to our players - they charge for every individual measure in the bottle.

Sounds like my previous club. Just one of a long list of actions by the owner that resulted in it becoming my 'previous' club!

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If you are signed up with EngGolf then you are covered by their liability insurance.... several million £'s.

if any of you buggers get a HIO and claim for it I could be the one dealing with the claim so be carefull what you say to me

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Sounds like my previous club. Just one of a long list of actions by the owner that resulted in it becoming my 'previous' club!

I think its pretty common that people leave due to our owners to be honest.

Biggest issue in leaving for me is proximity, I am quite literally a par 5 from the clubs front door :ROFLMAO: and membership is so cheap!

If I move membership would at least double in cost plus additional travel!

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Lucky enough to have had 2 HIO's.
First one at Hollinwell the weather was horrendous (non stop rain for 5 hours) so when I got back to the clubhouse it was empty. So I just bought my playing partners a pint but I was actaully a bit gutted not to be able to bask in the glory of my first HIO with some of the members at such a prestigious club.

My second one was at my home club at the time in a winter stableford, I thought i'd go down the bottle of whiskey option anticipating that there might be a few more people in afterwards this time.
Initially the club tried to charge me £90 for the bottle because they could only put it through the till on a per shot basis. Obvioulsy not going to do this so I asked if I could go to the shop to buy a bottle to leave on the bar. They said no I can't do that. So I then complained to the General Manager and eventually he agreed to sell me a bottle for £40-45 which I was happy with. I believe a couple of members stayed until closing to finish the bottle and had to get their wives to pick them up!

Same thing happened at our club at a winter league event when someone I knew asked me for advice. I told him to go and buy a bottle of scotch and a pack of plastic glasses and be there at the tee for the first group the following week and offer a dram to everyone - worked out well.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We are covered for a HIO In all comps the bar will put a bottle of whiskey up for all to help themselves. Anyone else has to pay for any drinks if they make a HIO.

Jason.H

Visit site
At our club we buy a bottle of whiskey from the bar. Seems weird as the majority don’t drink the stuff. Great for those that do 😂

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I was once playing with a guy who was renowned for never buying a round of drinks and he got a hole in one. The look on his face when he realised he'd have to put a bottle on the bar was priceless 😆

Reactions: AAC

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The last one I witnessed the guy got the big bucket (a bit like an old tin bath) filled with ice and beers etc and we all sat under the tree overlooking the 18th, he added a tray of shots and we sat there for a couple of hours. Anyone that joined the group could grab a drink etc

To be fair though that’s pretty much what happens every week, its just he paid for the drinks that week instead of a kitty

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
The last one I witnessed the guy got the big bucket (a bit like an old tin bath) filled with ice and beers etc and we all sat under the tree overlooking the 18th, he added a tray of shots and we sat there for a couple of hours. Anyone that joined the group could grab a drink etc

To be fair though that’s pretty much what happens every week, its just he paid for the drinks that week instead of a kitty

This sounds great fun!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
At our club we buy a bottle of whiskey from the bar. Seems weird as the majority don’t drink the stuff. Great for those that do 😂
I do find it weird how common this seems to be. If everyone's had a pint or two they can hardly knock back a shot of whiskey and still drive home can they?