The cost of a Hole-in-One

Are you a Golf Club Member with Insurance to cover this?

• YES

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • NO

Votes: 41 65.1%
  • Our Club's 2's club contributes towards one.

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I have a one in a club comp the clubs puts two bottles of my choice on the bar at their expense.

If I have on in friendly play I ask the club to put what I decide on the bar and I just replace it like for like.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I honestly have no idea if our club still covers it but I have personal insurance that covers it in comps. It’s a bottle of cheap whiskey on the bar at our place anyway. Most can’t drink it as they’re driving.

Seems a bit old hat in our place if I’m being honest and probably best served instead by buying the extra round for your playing group

Newtonuti

Visit site
Just checked our rules, we also get a £50 bar credit to buy drinks if the HIO is during an official club competition - limited to first 10 HIO each year. You still get the option to put a bottle on the bar but this isn't covered by the £50 which is drinks only and only for the day of the HIO.

Aslo get £100 for the RAF Golf Association - not that I have needed it yet!

Still serving? I did 7 years as an Aircraft Tech AV at Marham mainly.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
[QUOTE="Newtonuti, post: 2597822, member: 30553"]Still serving? I did 7 years as an Aircraft Tech AV at Marham mainly.[/QUOTE]
No, left just over 2 years ago after 33 years - Marham, Lossie, Kinloss, Wyton, Leeming, Brize, Coningsby and ending up at Abbey Wood where I still work. Was a dual trade Mech before they multi skilled everything.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I plan on getting at least 6 HIOs this coming season*, so I probably ought to think about having my own insurance

*I jest

Seriously though I should think about golf insurance for the more likely occursnces: hitting people with stray shots, club theft etc. But I don’t want a brilliant moment (HIO) marred by an outrageous bar bill
If you can recommend what insurance people have, it would be appreciated 👍
Forgot to say that the hole in one cover is £200, only in a recognised club competitions and needs the secretary (or equivalent) to confirm, plus a signed scorecard, your inside leg measurement and your sister's phone number.
Some of those may not be true, but read the small print! 😉

D

Deleted member 15344

[QUOTE="Newtonuti, post: 2597822, member: 30553"]Still serving? I did 7 years as an Aircraft Tech AV at Marham mainly.
No, left just over 2 years ago after 33 years - Marham, Lossie, Kinloss, Wyton, Leeming, Brize, Coningsby and ending up at Abbey Wood where I still work. Was a dual trade Mech before they multi skilled everything.[/QUOTE]

33 years 😲 well done - I was out after 22 , that was me done and dusted

After training

Oakhanger
Cyprus
Benbecula
Locking
Brize Norton
Cyprus
Cosford
Benson
Stanbridge

And of course all the tours to deserts , Balkans and Falklands in between

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Usually, a bottle of whisky is left behind the bar by the person making the hole in one. I had insurance when I made mine so bought 3 bottles of various spirits and claimed the cost back.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Club had a bottle behind the bar specially for Hole-in-Ones. I also bought a couple of bottles (at trade) and a few beers too. Took me 42 years to get one, and I well and truly made sure I milked it….well, maybe not milked.

Newtonuti

Visit site
No, left just over 2 years ago after 33 years - Marham, Lossie, Kinloss, Wyton, Leeming, Brize, Coningsby and ending up at Abbey Wood where I still work. Was a dual trade Mech before they multi skilled everything.

After training

Oakhanger
Cyprus
Benbecula
Locking
Brize Norton
Cyprus
Cosford
Benson
Stanbridge

And of course all the tours to deserts , Balkans and Falklands in between[/QUOTE]

Cyprus twice?!?! Lucky sod! Not so lucky with Cosford though :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 15344

After training

Oakhanger
Cyprus
Benbecula
Locking
Brize Norton
Cyprus
Cosford
Benson
Stanbridge

And of course all the tours to deserts , Balkans and Falklands in between

Cyprus twice?!?! Lucky sod! Not so lucky with Cosford though :ROFLMAO:[/QUOTE]

Cosford was my punishment for going to Cyprus

Did 3 years in Ayia Nik and then 3 at Episkopi

Was an instructor at Cosford - Tg4[/QUOTE]

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I plan on getting at least 6 HIOs this coming season*, so I probably ought to think about having my own insurance

*I jest

Seriously though I should think about golf insurance for the more likely occursnces: hitting people with stray shots, club theft etc. But I don’t want a brilliant moment (HIO) marred by an outrageous bar bill
If you can recommend what insurance people have, it would be appreciated 👍
If you are signed up with EngGolf then you are covered by their liability insurance.... several million £'s.

MikeB

Club Champion
Visit site
I was lucky enough to be invited as a guest at a society day at Wentworth a few years ago, one player got a HIO & was made to buy champagne for everyone on the verandah & there were plenty :-0

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
Lucky enough to have had 2 HIO's.
First one at Hollinwell the weather was horrendous (non stop rain for 5 hours) so when I got back to the clubhouse it was empty. So I just bought my playing partners a pint but I was actaully a bit gutted not to be able to bask in the glory of my first HIO with some of the members at such a prestigious club.

My second one was at my home club at the time in a winter stableford, I thought i'd go down the bottle of whiskey option anticipating that there might be a few more people in afterwards this time.
Initially the club tried to charge me £90 for the bottle because they could only put it through the till on a per shot basis. Obvioulsy not going to do this so I asked if I could go to the shop to buy a bottle to leave on the bar. They said no I can't do that. So I then complained to the General Manager and eventually he agreed to sell me a bottle for £40-45 which I was happy with. I believe a couple of members stayed until closing to finish the bottle and had to get their wives to pick them up!

Mandofred

Visit site
Lucky enough to have had 2 HIO's.
First one at Hollinwell the weather was horrendous (non stop rain for 5 hours) so when I got back to the clubhouse it was empty. So I just bought my playing partners a pint but I was actaully a bit gutted not to be able to bask in the glory of my first HIO with some of the members at such a prestigious club.

My second one was at my home club at the time in a winter stableford, I thought i'd go down the bottle of whiskey option anticipating that there might be a few more people in afterwards this time.
Initially the club tried to charge me £90 for the bottle because they could only put it through the till on a per shot basis. Obvioulsy not going to do this so I asked if I could go to the shop to buy a bottle to leave on the bar. They said no I can't do that. So I then complained to the General Manager and eventually he agreed to sell me a bottle for £40-45 which I was happy with. I believe a couple of members stayed until closing to finish the bottle and had to get their wives to pick them up!
This happened to somebody I play with....years ago tried to charge £80 for the bottle on the "per shot" cost....didn't happen.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
My group solved this when we were juniors and knew the value of money. If you get a hole in one, the group buys you a drink. No further expenses.

Mostly because as a 13 year old, 1/3 of the cost of a pint of coke would be financially crippling for days.

Its not changed to this day, between us there's been probably 8 hole in ones, its cost me about £3.

D

Deleted member 31467

Although I have no issues with buying drinks for a HIO I agree it does seem a bit odd that the person that gets it buys the drinks. Makes much more sense for everyone else to buy him/her/they/them/it a drink instead but no doubt some of you lot would still whinge at that :ROFLMAO:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think its round the right way just now

If you’re celebrating things you’ve done or achieved it’s the individual who did ‘it’ that’s buying the drinks/gifts etc i.e Hole in one, birth of a child, big promotion/bonus etc
If you’re celebrating things that’ll happen of their own accord with no effort, then it’s others who buy you the congratulatory drinks/gifts i.e on birthdays, anniversary etc

Who's coming home from holiday to a houseful of gifts? Nope its the person who went on holiday that's bringing back the tat
Would @Orikoru collect a bunch of cigars from various family/friends... or is it more likely/usual he'd be the one who bought cigars to hand out