The cost of a Hole-in-One

Are you a Golf Club Member with Insurance to cover this?

• YES

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • NO

Votes: 41 65.1%
  • Our Club's 2's club contributes towards one.

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can be a sizable cost if it occurs on a big event day.
Some Clubs may have provision for it in their 2's club arrangements so 2 selections are allowed.
Have limited it to Golf Club Members as none members are less obliged to get involved, I would think.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Got one in a medal last year
The Club puts 75 quid behind the bar for you....if the cost is any more then you cover it.
Drinks were had by all in the bar, fortunately we were late in the day so not many in there, and the 75 quid covered it.
The Club gave me a form to fill in and send off to their insurers, 75 quid paid to me, 75 quid put on my bar card and with the Member's discount they took 63
So my HiO made me 12 quid.....bargain!

Mandofred

Visit site
No sure if I am covered or not...if I remember I'll check with the other guys today. But if I'm not covered, there is no way I'm buying drinks for a million people just because I finally lucked out and got a hole in one. I'm willing to put a decent bottle of something up on the bar.....but I'm not going into debt on such a silly tradition.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Got one in a medal last year
The Club puts 75 quid behind the bar for you....if the cost is any more then you cover it.
Drinks were had by all in the bar, fortunately we were late in the day so not many in there, and the 75 quid covered it.
The Club gave me a form to fill in and send off to their insurers, 75 quid paid to me, 75 quid put on my bar card and with the Member's discount they took 63
So my HiO made me 12 quid.....bargain!

Plus the bottle of vino and the couple of bottles of beer and the engraved glass tumbler 👍

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The club I'm in will cover it if its a comp and that covers about a 1/4 of my games. If it happens in any other round it'll be down to me

evemccc

Visit site
I plan on getting at least 6 HIOs this coming season*, so I probably ought to think about having my own insurance

*I jest

Seriously though I should think about golf insurance for the more likely occursnces: hitting people with stray shots, club theft etc. But I don’t want a brilliant moment (HIO) marred by an outrageous bar bill
If you can recommend what insurance people have, it would be appreciated 👍

Albo

Visit site
When I got mine I brought my playing partners a drink and that was that.
I have no interest in putting a bottle on the bar, or getting a round in for everyone. Ridiculous notion. Equally if I were at the bar when someone got a HiO and offered drinks all round, I’d not take one.

Mandofred

Visit site
When I got mine I brought my playing partners a drink and that was that.
I have no interest in putting a bottle on the bar, or getting a round in for everyone. Ridiculous notion. Equally if I were at the bar when someone got a HiO and offered drinks all round, I’d not take one.
That's more my attitude. I'm more than happy to buy a round (or 2) for my playing partners....

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is always a lively topic when it comes up. I'm with @Albo and @banjofred on this.

It's largely softened up here in that I have never seen anyone literally buying everyone in the bar a drink. The standard is the person buys a bottle and puts it plus glasses on the bar for the following week. People take a shot and when it's gone, it's gone. It varies, from whiskey, port, baileys, probably some others.

At a push, I'd do the above, begrudgingly 😄. I certainly wouldn't buy individual drinks for strangers, it's a nonsense.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I plan on getting at least 6 HIOs this coming season*, so I probably ought to think about having my own insurance

*I jest

Seriously though I should think about golf insurance for the more likely occursnces: hitting people with stray shots, club theft etc. But I don’t want a brilliant moment (HIO) marred by an outrageous bar bill
If you can recommend what insurance people have, it would be appreciated 👍
I have insurance with golfcare. Not so much for the hole in one cover so much as travel insurance for clubs and accidental damage or injury.
The travel insurance element seems to be far more generous than inaureango's add-on, which is next to useless.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
As for the OP's question, it's member' choice. They can get a round of drinks in for all, or get a bottle of whiskey and replace it.
I got mine in a men's match against another club. We teed off at 13.00, so by the time we're got back, the 24 players were the only ones left! £75 bar bill... result.
Friend had one in the turkey Trot which was a shotgun start and food afterwards... £250!
I'm undecided what I'd do if I got one in a comp. Probably a bottle and replace it.
I'm not a fan of buying the whole club a drink.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
That's what happens at ours too
…and at mine the cost to the member is pretty much, if not actually, the cost to the club. I think I was charged about £18 for the bottle of Grouse that was put on the bar for my 49yd HI1 a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
No one buys drinks at our place other than maybe for those in their playing group.

The owners have little class and instead of sharing in the joy and selling a bottle at cost to our players - they charge for every individual measure in the bottle.

They have also banned players bringing a bottle to the first tee of their next comp.

A shame but the owners fault.