The Beach

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok,
We all visit it from time to time some more than others and in fairness even some should take a bucket and spade with them :) but ............Whats the story with addressing a ball in a bunker?

I have a habit of really opening up my 56 degree sand wedge so that its probably closer to 66 degree's :( when i regrip it......Is this a bad idea?......
Im just wondering as if i need to be opening it up this much would i just not be better off getting a 60 or 64 degree wedge and hold it normally?

Does anyone just address the ball and grip the wedge normally and let the clubs bounce do its job?....

Note: Forgot to clarify the type of bunker shots......I mean shots around the green rather than from long range or fairway bunkers.

Last edited:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I select the club I need, even around the green anything up to a 9 can be used as long as the sand is not super soft.

If its generally firm underfoot ie not loose and soft then choose the club thats going to get the ball out but also get it rolling. Most people make the mistake of taking too much loft and then having to swing too hard and either not get it out or end up way short or thin it way long.

All my best bunker shots have come with clubs other than my 56* wedge with lots of bounce. That thing is usually average and my "get it out and somewhere on the green club"

My best are usually the longer greenside bunker shots with my PW or 9 iron. I dont really open the face more than a fraction and I swing normal like a pitch shot.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had a bunker lesson the other week and the pro was playing greenside shots with everything down to an 8 iron with ease. Smug git. I've changed my grip a little, changed the address position a lot and he wants me to hit the sand hard - "attack it" and let the bounce do its work. Still a work in motion but I'm getting out first time which is plan A and have stopped the thinned one 40 yards through the green. Back to back sand saves in the comp last week boosted confidence. At the moment I'm not worrying too much about opening the face and playing around more with the 52 and 58 depending on the lie, type of sand and distance and keeping everythin pretty neutral

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had a bunker lesson the other week and the pro was playing greenside shots with everything down to an 8 iron with ease. Smug git. I've changed my grip a little, changed the address position a lot and he wants me to hit the sand hard - "attack it" and let the bounce do its work. Still a work in motion but I'm getting out first time which is plan A and have stopped the thinned one 40 yards through the green. Back to back sand saves in the comp last week boosted confidence. At the moment I'm not worrying too much about opening the face and playing around more with the 52 and 58 depending on the lie, type of sand and distance and keeping everythin pretty neutral

Better off using the bounce so Homer instead of opening the face?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I thought to 'use the bounce' you had to open the face up so much that the back edge of the club is the first thing to hit the sand?

It's what I do anyway and works most of the time.

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
damn it! still didnt work
have just watched another vid of Mickelson and bunkers - am away to the beach again today ;)

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Remember to go AT LEAST 2in down into the sand
its the follow thro - its just not there!
the wee vid of michelson shows what happens if u stop in the sand then do a pretend follow thro... the ball stays in the sand

the main prob i had yesterday was different sand! stuck in one bunker with wet sand
got out another bunker which had white fluffy sand!

oh the joys of the beach ;)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Thats the problem with some of the video instruction.....they use nice fluffy sand.

If you dig down 2 inches under the ball and follow through, it will come out of any wet/compat sand

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
a bit better today - got out the two bunkers i was in first time - still wasnt a beautiful floaty shot tho...more of a phew - just made it shot!

practice makes perfect tho ;)

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
i can get out but its by no means pretty. mine just about trickle out over the top lip then roll out on to the green haha.. im stuffed its a greenside bunker with a bit of cabbage between the sand and the green as it normally stops there. Cant do the high flying splashing exit but so long as im out im happy

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Just aim left, open the face and with a long swing, thump the sand 3-4 inches behind the ball and 2 in under the ball and swing through to a high finish

[video=youtube;c11XYrHSEII]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c11XYrHSEII&list=UUFeb2vdftHQESr49G8ZorhQ& index=25&feature=plcp[/video]

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just aim left, open the face and with a long swing, thump the sand 3-4 inches behind the ball and 2 in under the ball and swing through to a high finish

[video=youtube;c11XYrHSEII]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c11XYrHSEII&list=UUFeb2vdftHQESr49G8ZorhQ& index=25&feature=plcp[/video]
ah bob...the problem starts at 'just...' ;)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Does anyone have any tips for when you can't play a 'normal' bunker shot?

Yesterday I found a bunker but somehow the ball stayed on the slope up to the lip and I had to come out at about 45° to the slope.

I had my feet about 12" below the ball and was just trying to chunk it out and let it run all the way to the hole by not opening the face and hitting down into the sand about an inch behind the ball with no follow through. It didn't work.
I was tempted to try to pick the ball off the top like a chip shot but I tend to catch the sand first when I try that and leave it in the bunker.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
bobs video has transformed my bunker shots in the last two weeks. feet close together is the key. a wide stance has the club bottoming out too early.

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
bobs video has transformed my bunker shots in the last two weeks. feet close together is the key. a wide stance has the club bottoming out too early.
he makes it look easy peasy - and i;m sure it is - i just need some sand to practice in!