The Art of Putting - Paul Trevillion method

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I picked up this book in the library last week on the off chance I might learn a trick or two on reading greens but it turns out to be a book on the origins of the pencil grip.

Pioneered by an artist in the 1970's.

Here is a link to explain more about it.

I jumped on ebay and picked up the putter he designed for a tenner. it has arrived today and I cannot wait to give it a whirl.

Seemed to cause a bit of stir back in the 70s. can anyone remember this at all?

https://www.paultrevillion.com/inventor-of-split-hand-putting-method.html

Won't help my back but will it help me hole more putts. :ROFLMAO:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have read about it. Seemed very gimmicky to me but interested to hear how you get on with it.

Tbh I'm not taking it completely seriously either. Just a notion and will give my mates a laugh but at the same time I'm intrigued to see how it goes.

Rolls well on the carpet. Dont they all though. Haha

Visit site
Where you at my club today watching????

After getting my hands on the Axis1 Rose putter and seeing how well balanced it is, I put a Garsen Max Grip on it to feel more weight into the head and up the swingweight. The grip also helps with the pencil grip as well.

So after 2wks with this putter I’m really liking it, and I’ve used the same grip methodology for years and never changed. But today after watching Justin Rose putting performance last week decided to try the pencil grip and give it a go. I came to quick conclusion that on lengthy putts i struggled with the lengthy backswing. But on the shorter putts (mainly 10ft) I had greater control of the face rotation (although the putters technology helps with that) but with the right hand on top of the grip it takes the putter back on a straighter arc - if that makes sense.

The ball just rolled beautifully and I was holing no end of left to right and right to left putts with greater control. I had a good 2hrs or more on the putting green and by the end of that session it started to feel natural.

I think I’ll still stick with the conventional right below left normal grip for longer putts but anything closer I’ll use the pencil grip.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sounds good my man. Theres only about 50 odd years of tech between this putter and your new toy but the premise is still the same.

I've only ever had a couple of swipes using a pencil grip before and never really liked it with the other putters of mine.

This one is so ridiculously short and with such a long grip it actually doesn't feel too odd to stroke with the pencil , very very spilt handed grip.

We have a memorial non Q comp on tomorrow so I am going to give this thing a roll for the fun of it. Nothing to lose.

Trevillion reckons its infallible from short distance. We shall soon find out.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Have you come across this contraption before?

Hitting a few putts in the hall there. Will be giving my own version of the claw grip a rattle with it too.

I've heard of the guy and I've seen Sam Snead using the method on YouTube but I've not seen the putter before, is it a Ben Sayers?

Trojan615

Head Pro
Visit site
I met him a few years ago painting in Hyde park... I’d just read an article in golf international magazine about his putting. He told me he would bet anyone £1000 on a putting comp and won every time. Nice guy

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Long post warning *

I turned up to play today and found out the comp was actually a qualifying comp.

Lucky I only had the pencil putter with me in the bag. My trusty seemore sitting at home unawares.

No worries. Off we go at 8.15 straight from the car into the unknown. No practice putts. Straight into action

1st hole - 20 footer for bird. Rolled nicely to tap in range. Par made. Felt a bit funny addressing putter for the first time and also found I couldn't lean on it while waiting for my playing partners.

2nd hole. 10 foot birdie putt dispatched with no fuss.

Getting a little excited.

3rd. 20 foot big breaking bird down hill left 3 feet short but makes the par.

4th just off back edge with long lag needed. Nice roll but 4 feet past and tug the return.

5th mess of a hole par3. 15foot putt tugged slightly.

6th mess of a hole. No issues with 12 footer miss. Just didn't hole it.

7th birdie look. Miss high side. No real issues

8th long 2 putt par and after leaving 1st 4 foot short.

9th miss 2 footer push

Thoughts after 9. Not bad but not feeling as confident as I would like.

10th good roll at bird. Stops on edge from 15 feet.

11. Poor chip leaves 8 feet. Holed

12. Good breaking lag putt. Tap in par. slick downhill.

13. Mess par 3. Tugged par putt from 8 feet.

14. Mess par 5. Slick downhill breaker for par rattled 6 feet past. Ram in return.

15. Bunker shot to 2 feet. Pushed wide of hole. Bogey

16. 15 feet birdie putt tugged and push 2 footer.

17. Up and down good 6footer for par

18. 3 putt with a push 2 footer to finish.

Conclusion - this wee putter is fun to use but probably (won't) be finding it's way into my bag long term. I have putted the same as this many times with other putters. The push and pulled short putts ruined my score and confidence with it in the end.
I will continue to use this thing the odd day in practice but will be going back to my seemore putter for serious golf.
Maybe with some practice I could get used to this method of putting.
Or even a morden style and more suitable length. Another 2 inches on this might be better. I am nearly 6 feet. I wonder what height trevillion was?
Anyway I enjoyed the challenge for what it was. If I had chipped a little better and hit one of two better shots I might have broken 80. 83 strokes for 12 over was the end result. Not bad I guess.

Wolf

Visit site
Long post warning *

I turned up to play today and found out the comp was actually a qualifying comp.

Lucky I only had the pencil putter with me in the bag. My trusty seemore sitting at home unawares.

No worries. Off we go at 8.15 straight from the car into the unknown. No practice putts. Straight into action

1st hole - 20 footer for bird. Rolled nicely to tap in range. Par made. Felt a bit funny addressing putter for the first time and also found I couldn't lean on it while waiting for my playing partners.

2nd hole. 10 foot birdie putt dispatched with no fuss.

Getting a little excited.

3rd. 20 foot big breaking bird down hill left 3 feet short but makes the par.

4th just off back edge with long lag needed. Nice roll but 4 feet past and tug the return.

5th mess of a hole par3. 15foot putt tugged slightly.

6th mess of a hole. No issues with 12 footer miss. Just didn't hole it.

7th birdie look. Miss high side. No real issues

8th long 2 putt par and after leaving 1st 4 foot short.

9th miss 2 footer push

Thoughts after 9. Not bad but not feeling as confident as I would like.

10th good roll at bird. Stops on edge from 15 feet.

11. Poor chip leaves 8 feet. Holed

12. Good breaking lag putt. Tap in par. slick downhill.

13. Mess par 3. Tugged par putt from 8 feet.

14. Mess par 5. Slick downhill breaker for par rattled 6 feet past. Ram in return.

15. Bunker shot to 2 feet. Pushed wide of hole. Bogey

16. 15 feet birdie putt tugged and push 2 footer.

17. Up and down good 6footer for par

18. 3 putt with a push 2 footer to finish.

Conclusion - this wee putter is fun to use but probably (won't) be finding it's way into my bag long term. I have putted the same as this many times with other putters. The push and pulled short putts ruined my score and confidence with it in the end.
I will continue to use this thing the odd day in practice but will be going back to my seemore putter for serious golf.
Maybe with some practice I could get used to this method of putting.
Or even a morden style and more suitable length. Another 2 inches on this might be better. I am nearly 6 feet. I wonder what height trevillion was?
Anyway I enjoyed the challenge for what it was. If I had chipped a little better and hit one of two better shots I might have broken 80. 83 strokes for 12 over was the end result. Not bad I guess.
Why not just use the pencil grip with your normal putter to save the back strain, plus with that huge grip on your normal putter should make holding it with that grip more natural and comfortable..

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why not just use the pencil grip with your normal putter to save the back strain, plus with that huge grip on your normal putter should make holding it with that grip more natural and comfortable..

I have tried using a pencil grip on other putters.

That pencil putter is supposed to be used in an extremely split hand position.