The 18th tee and you're one up.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
But he has the honour.
He hits his tee shot to the last hole (par 3) to about 4 feet.
He turns to you and say "that's the best 6 iron I've hit all day"

What would you do?

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Claim the Match!!

Show off :mad: ;)

Hmmmm

Decision 8-1/8 Comment About Club Selection After Stroke

"Q. After playing a stroke, a player says: “I should have used a 5-iron.” Was the player in breach of Rule 8-1?

A. If the statement was made casually, there was no breach. If the statement was made to another player who had a shot to play from about the same position, there was a breach."

Advice is defined as

" any counsel or suggestion that could influence a player in determining his play, the choice of a club or the method of making a stroke."

Was the statement "counsel or suggestion"?

Claiming the match could lead to impolite words being exchanged. :eek:

I think the correct answer to Bob's question is to hit my ball to about 30 feet hole the putt then say "that's the best 30 footer I've holed all day" and watch as the shock and pressure cause my opponent to miss his putt short and right.

:D :D :D

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But he has the honour.
He hits his tee shot to the last hole (par 3) to about 4 feet.
He turns to you and say "that's the best 6 iron I've hit all day"

What would you do?

Hit my 8 iron to 3 foot!

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I would play my shot regardless, what a horrible way to end what is probably a good match by claiming someones excitement is a breach of the rules :mad:

Its a game FFS! play the game and stop trying to wangle a win with ridiculous claims.

That's not aimed at anyone, I've just seen a lot of instances where people claim matches or try to get advantages in anyway EXCEPT by taking fewer shots than your opponent :mad:

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site

Hmmmm

" any counsel or suggestion that could influence a player in determining his play, the choice of a club or the method of making a stroke."

Was the statement "counsel or suggestion"?
Like alot of the rules in this mad game , the rule is (in depth explination) then there is a BUT at the end.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
+1 to the sensible replies . No way i'd claim a match for that

Might report him to the committee for pcokets on the outside of his shorts though

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
For me it rests on the decision about the comment (intent is important in the interpretation of a fair number of rules), and you can't agree to waive rules (see rule 1 3? for applicable penalties); which is sensible and fair as all either play to them or don't.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Obviously on here in a hypothetical discussion, it's worth debating the rights and wrongs of it.

But if it happended for real, I'm curious if people would REALLY claim the match? Not sure I'd want that reputation in my club, even though I'd followed the rules to the letter.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Moving the goal posts a touch (well, a lot)
The same situation but you are 1 down and it's a club match.
Would you give the same answer?

If he had hit the shot from a foot in front of the tee markers, would you ignore that too or ask him to play it again?

I only raised the original question as I'm sure there are some who dont know the rule and sods law says you will come across someone who WOULD claim the hole.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Moving the goal posts a touch (well, a lot)
The same situation but you are 1 down and it's a club match.
Would you give the same answer?

of course not- same answers apply.

would YOU claim it Bob in a pro match especially as there's real money involved?
remember though that that decision would spread round the pro community and certainly your own club like wildfire.

ridiculous rule :mad:

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We played pairs matchplay last year and in the semi finals we came up against 2 jnrs- one off 4 and the other off ~10. They gave us a 6 or 8 shots but we knew we could not make any mistakes.
On the 10th (SI1) (us 1up) the low man hit his shot and then while walking up the hole he dropped out a plastic practice ball (the ones with holes) and proceded to hit it 3 times. There was clear tension between the partners as the 10 man was really trying to win while the 4 man had given up. I pulled him about the ball and told him if he hits it again I would claim the hole as he had played a new ball and it was non conforming - he then hit it again (he is known as an arrogant *****) - the playing partner and myself decided (while it may be agianst the rules) that in the spirit of the game the 10 man should play the hole and the 4 man would simply be out - thus rather than taking the hole we gave them a fair chance. IMHO golf is a sport to be enjoyed - so while you could take the match it was obviously tight and therefore I presume good fun - all in I would tell him I could claim the match but I would let it lie - though I am sure this is against the rules to decide when to apply rules and when not to, but common sence should prevail.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We played pairs matchplay last year and in the semi finals we came up against 2 jnrs- one off 4 and the other off ~10. They gave us a 6 or 8 shots but we knew we could not make any mistakes.
On the 10th (SI1) (us 1up) the low man hit his shot and then while walking up the hole he dropped out a plastic practice ball (the ones with holes) and proceded to hit it 3 times. There was clear tension between the partners as the 10 man was really trying to win while the 4 man had given up. I pulled him about the ball and told him if he hits it again I would claim the hole as he had played a new ball and it was non conforming - he then hit it again (he is known as an arrogant *****) - the playing partner and myself decided (while it may be agianst the rules) that in the spirit of the game the 10 man should play the hole and the 4 man would simply be out - thus rather than taking the hole we gave them a fair chance. IMHO golf is a sport to be enjoyed - so while you could take the match it was obviously tight and therefore I presume good fun - all in I would tell him I could claim the match but I would let it lie - though I am sure this is against the rules to decide when to apply rules and when not to, but common sence should prevail.

Ken I admire you for giving the 10hcp player a chance to carry on the hole, given the appalling behaviour of the 4hcp. You gave him a chance and he still hit the practice ball again? Beyond petulant.

I'm not sure I'd have been as magnanimous in the face of what was essentially an insult from the 4hcp. Weren't you tempted to teach him a lesson?