The 150th Open

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not at St Andrew's but when we went we got to the course early and walked around and picked a few spots where we fancied spending an hour or so and then moved on. Also if you're close to food/drink it's a bonus. If you can tickets for grandstand get them. On Sunday if you want to see the final groups coming, get to the 18th about 90 minutes before to get a decent view.

You'll be out and on your feet for between 5-8 hours so walking shoes/trainers were ideal.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just back from St Andrews and the course looks fantastic, perfect for a links course.
Greens running very fast.
Tented village gets bigger and bigger and the catering is decent and not toooo pricey [I recommend the Bridies]
I decided that the wee plastic golf ball on a cheap key ring was not really worth £7.50, not sure if it was worth 75p:love:
Large crowds out today and the toilets are 5 star, vast improvement on my second visit to an Open in 1962 which involved huge piss buckets in a shabby 'Boy Scout' tent.

[To make my day on the way back I saw a car driving through Glasgow with a number plate P15 AFF]

C7usk

Visit site
Just back from St Andrews and the course looks fantastic, perfect for a links course.
Greens running very fast.
Tented village gets bigger and bigger and the catering is decent and not toooo pricey [I recommend the Bridies]
I decided that the wee plastic golf ball on a cheap key ring was not really worth £7.50, not sure if it was worth 75p:love:
Large crowds out today and the toilets are 5 star, vast improvement on my second visit to an Open in 1962 which involved huge piss buckets in a shabby 'Boy Scout' tent.

[To make my day on the way back I saw a car driving through Glasgow with a number plate P15 AFF]
Sounds quality Doon, roll on Saturday when head over with the mates... How much are the beers? Was £5.00 last time. I'm expecting £6.50..

C7usk

Visit site
Cheers Doon, good to get a heads up... Won't be having a massive scoop but I dare say a few beers will be had...

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My coffee just cost me £3.40. I think Doon had gin in his. ?

I was in the posh bit in the Tented Village.;)
It might have been £3.40, I did not take too much notice

Take your Mastercard with you as you get 10% discount on food and drink.

The crowd were very savvy, applauding shots that finished 20 yards from the pin.
Great to hear so many foreign voices loads of Americans [the nice ones]
The Yorkshire lad sweating like a tap in the very warm stand because he wanted to wear his new 150 Open waterproof jacket made me laugh though.:love:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've staked my hard-earned coins on Rory, Fitzpatrick, Morikawa, Hideki and Louis, plus Spieth first round leader. Normally I would make some joke here about always losing, but I actually had Fitz & Zalatoris at the USO so finger crossed!

C7usk

Visit site
I've staked my hard-earned coins on Rory, Fitzpatrick, Morikawa, Hideki and Louis, plus Spieth first round leader. Normally I would make some joke here about always losing, but I actually had Fitz & Zalatoris at the USO so finger crossed!
Good luck.... But not too much. ?... My fave is xander Schauffele but got Ryan fox and joaquin niemann as half decent outsiders EW.... Cmon the Fox. Lol.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Back home after a nice warm-up day before returning on Friday. The whole place is looking absolutely superb and the operation and facilities are exemplary. Easily the best outdoor event and build I’ve ever seen. Top marks for simple details like free water filling stations and free suncream.

It was busier than any other open practice day I’ve been too but nowhere near the “full crowd” being described by media outlets.

The course is looking perfect. The weather forecast is suggesting winds from different directions through the weekend so I hope we’re set for a good battle. I think placement and good long putts are going to be rewarded, the run outs look incredible firey. I’m not convinced the course can be overpowered but we’ll see.

The 18th green was easily driveable today but with a very stiff tail wind that we’re probably not going to see again in the rest of the week.

Elrow

Visit site
Heading up tomorrow and really looking forward to it.

Anyone able to share that have went so far as to what is in the tented village? Would be good to demo some clubs if some manufactures are about.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Boss seem to be the thing this year...........nice clothes but too expensive for me. Volunteers all wearing Boss caps looking very smart.
I was not aware of any club manufacturers about in the tented village but you could buy a Doosan digger.
For £16 you can also buy a 150 Open dog lead.

Visit site
How was transport? Did bus work out OK?

Back home after a nice warm-up day before returning on Friday. The whole place is looking absolutely superb and the operation and facilities are exemplary. Easily the best outdoor event and build I’ve ever seen. Top marks for simple details like free water filling stations and free suncream.

It was busier than any other open practice day I’ve been too but nowhere near the “full crowd” being described by media outlets.

The course is looking perfect. The weather forecast is suggesting winds from different directions through the weekend so I hope we’re set for a good battle. I think placement and good long putts are going to be rewarded, the run outs look incredible firey. I’m not convinced the course can be overpowered but we’ll see.

The 18th green was easily driveable today but with a very stiff tail wind that we’re probably not going to see again in the rest of the week.