The 150th Open

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
. If there's multiple from the South, do you think the Cupar or A915 (not sure where exactly) or anywhere else, would be the best option for getting in and out.

A92 to A915 is definitely the better route from Edinburgh as it’s dual carriageway for a good stretch.

Visit site
There are multiple park and rides. Follow the yellow signs but from the south side there’s a park and ride on the A915. From Crail that means heading back past Anstruther and then cross country to rejoin the A915 rather than going straight up to St Andrews

Thanks - weighing up whether to park and ride or just jump on the 95 bus which stops just outside our caravan in Crail.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks - weighing up whether to park and ride or just jump on the 95 bus which stops just outside our caravan in Crail.

I'd go for the bus! That's my current plan from north east Fife, Stagecoach and Moffat & Williamson buses are all running to the town bus station I believe.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Planning to travel from Edinburg to St Andrews on Friday. What are the chances still able to do it by train (to Leechars).

If there are problems on the way back, what are the chances a local St Andrews taxi taking us to Edinburg?

Also, have extra tickets for sale:
https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/the-open-tickets.112500/

Anyone local fancy to extend their attendance? Monday is only £35 per adult and they are supposed to have a 6-hole exhibition with some quality players?

Colin Hunter

Visit site
I have been inspired to make up a little rap for The Old Course. Hope you enjoy it.

Attachments

• A new Open Championship poem follow the link (1).png
    A new Open Championship poem follow the link (1).png
    655.2 KB · Views: 0

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ha! Good effort @Colin Hunter

I am very very excited now. I’ve just got to get through today then I’m off the rest of the week with my first day in the galleries on Wednesday.

Could the weather forecast be any better? I think there’s going to be just enough wind to make it interesting combined with the fast running fairways and lovely looking rough.

Been waiting years for this and it’s looking perfect. History in the making.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Just to remind folk that it is the 150th Open at Stan Drews
The Open started in 1860.
The first Open at St Andrews was in 1873 so how come it is the 150th one.:unsure:
Notwithstanding that your first statement is bollocks......
The 1873 event was the first to be a combined championship - R&A, HCEG and Prestwick - with the combined qualification criteria. Prior to that, it had 'simply' been an event held at Prestwick, initially only by Professionals, with the winner declared 'The Champion Golfer'. So this is the 150th Open Championship under the new 'rules'.

Last edited:

safcaph

Visit site
I have two tickets for Tuesday practice - sadly I now can’t attend! Happy to pass them on if anyone would like them

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Notwithstanding that your first statement is bollocks......
The 1873 event was the first to be a combined championship - R&A, HCEG and Prestwick - with the combined qualification criteria. Prior to that, it had 'simply' been an event held at Prestwick, initially only by Professionals, with the winner declared 'The Champion Golfer'. So this is the 150th Open Championship under the new 'rules'.

Whatever ;)
Looks like the R&A seem to be channeling all efforts on the anniversary front. :D
Coming soon the 50th anniversary of the 1.68 ball Open.:unsure:
Followed by the aluminum shaft Open then the Concord shirt collar Open

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
The weather looks fairly steady for the week. Only really Saturday where the wind gets up towards 20mph.

With it being so firm could we see a record low score? These boys could make the old goat track look like a pitch and putt.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The weather looks fairly steady for the week. Only really Saturday where the wind gets up towards 20mph.

With it being so firm could we see a record low score? These boys could make the old goat track look like a pitch and putt.

Locals say the course has never looked better.
Forecast good.
Can't wait to see the brown patches on the greens, you know the ones where, on his course. the 'average' greens committee member will threaten to sack his head greenkeeper.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Locals say the course has never looked better.
Forecast good.
Can't wait to see the brown patches on the greens, you know the ones where, on his course. the 'average' greens committee member will threaten to sack his head greenkeeper.

I love I when the camera pans in when the ball looks like it’s stopped. Only for it to start rolling very slowly, then finally coming to a stop 40yards away. All while the player looks on in disbelief, hands on hips shaking his head.

Nemlejh

Visit site
A long shot here. We are 3, 40 year olds from Sweden that are gooing to St Andrews on Wednesday. The fourth guy in our group Had to stay home. We are staying at a hotel in Glasgow and I was thinking about trading the fourth ticket for a carride back and forth to the course if there is anyone interested?

If any local In Glasgow area have a better forum to publish this pls send me a message