That moment where you question your sanity

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So sunday morning was another par/bogey comp, and as i still have the bug saturday night i was tucked up in bed around 11pm, ready for a good days hacking. For some reason i woke up expecting snow, but no... as the sun rose a 7.30 it was merely a frost..

off to the club and as i pulled into the carpark i was oblivious to the red frost sign on the dash.... this indicates minus conditions. Into the clubhouse, bit of breaky, coffee and some giggles and its off to the tee as im in the first group, now as there was still a frost, in the effort to try and speed up play i opted for some nice orange srixons, and then off to the tee. Bobble hat, ping mitts in toe.

Stood on the tee, pulled out my shiny new orange ball and it hit me " OS... your off your trolley "

Im commented to one of the boys in the group that it was a bit fresh, apparently hes car showed minus 2 as he pulled in.

Im interested to see what other sanity questioning moments have been out there.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I often wonder why I go out and hack it round, on temps, at minus 3, and still don't really have an answer. A bit of fresh air I guess.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
4 hours & 30 minutes into the non stop drive to Ballyliffin earlier this year , i said to myself are ya nuts or what? , you gota face into this on sunday evening going home aswell , after a great weekend the trip home didnt seem as bad , very tiring tho very very tiring

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
For me it was stood on the 1st tee at Silloth-on-Solway in October this year. The wind was howling and rain hitting us so hard it hurt. We'd played at home the day before in 25 degrees so wasn't prepared for the sudden change in conditions although have never played in anything quite like it before !

I laughed and recalled what my coach had told me about the history and origins of this beautiful game, picked up my driver and hit a beauty which soared upwards and upwards and upwards and only just made the fairway cut !

I did retain my sense of humour most of the round with only the occasional fit of pique as my "not for winter golf" cap went tumbling down the course with me chasing after it like some mad woman !

Philm

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sorry mate....but what's -2* look like again?

Forecast for my game on Wednesday is 17*

Should I be quiet now? :eek:oo:

oh no, keep at it, we'll all enjoy hating you together :)

as for moments where you question your sanity, try hitting a driver on a driveable par 4 from an elevated tee(very) with 30mph wind behind, my ball was miles long) total clown moment, never even considered the outcome.

Phil

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
whenever i hear about these moments, i just picture caddy shack when the old fella is hacking away in the thunderstorm.

that deciding moment for me was tee'ing up an orange ball, it looked so pretty against the frozen ground...

Steve In Spain

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Okay...I will join in and be serious!

I never questioned my sanity, but the Club members did one day in December. Now, bear in mind that I served in the Army for 25 years and used to a bit of yomping and crap in the cold weather..and have tons of self discipline!

Anyway, we were playing a Stableford and we, my other 2-ball member..the other 2 had gone in on the 15th due to the snow...decided, well, I persuaded him to finish the round and told him that if we do, we'd win. Plus I needed him to mark my card...it began to snow quite a bit, but with the wind blowing a bloody gale, it wasn't settling that much. The 18th is a par 5, drive over a lake and is uphill all the way...and guess which way the wind was blowing? Yes, straight in our faces. He was calling me all the names under the sun (which was missing) but I promised him a full English and a few bevvies at the 19th.

Would I do it now? No bloody way! I was a young and foolish 46 year old then!

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sorry mate....but what's -2* look like again?

Forecast for my game on Wednesday is 17*

Should I be quiet now? :eek:oo:

Have I not warned you about upsetting the natives before Steve :D

You should get yourself back over here and experience winter golf again. Walking along feeling yourself getting taller as ice accumulates around your studs, brushing lumps of ice off your line so you can putt, watching in despair as your ball bounces 45 degress into a bunker, pitching short of the green expecting a nice kick forward only to find that part of the course has thawed out and your ball stops where it lands, trying to play a bunker shot from frozen sand onto an equally frozen green and for some reaon urging your ball to spin as it lands for the first time and dissappears into the bunker the other side - need I go on? You really don't know what you are missing...

Steve In Spain

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You really don't know what you are missing...

Oh I do....I do and I enjoy the thought of missing it too! I remember the days of the mittens, the hip flask full of port, the thermos full of black coffee, 5 sets of golf gloves, brass monkey nuts....but do I miss it?

I'll let you know on Thursday after my golf in shorts and golf shirt on Wednesday.:thup::rofl:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I had a similar feeling of 'what are you doing' when I teed up at bamburgh castle earlier in the year. The wind was blowing my stand bag over, and then rolling it away. I had to run after it to stop it disappearing altogether. Mad conditions to play in. On some holes you had to aim more than 45 degrees off line, to get the ball to stay on the golf course. 120 yard par 3, hooded 6i. Worst wind I have ever played in.

In the end I quite enjoyed it, well, once I realised that it was not golf, but something similar.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
-2 thats nothing, look on the positive side, it's the longest drives you'll ever have, it'll be like a runway!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I laughed and recalled what my coach had told me about the history and origins of this beautiful game...

I've often stood on the 1st tee, already frozen, with icy wind tears pouring down my rosy frost-bitten cheeks and thought to myself "Well if the Scots can do it......"

Stupid game.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
4 hours & 30 minutes into the non stop drive to Ballyliffin earlier this year , i said to myself are ya nuts or what? , you gota face into this on sunday evening going home aswell , after a great weekend the trip home didnt seem as bad , very tiring tho very very tiring

Should have been in my shoes ;)

Normally I question myself after hooking another ball OOB :(

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
-2 thats nothing, look on the positive side, it's the longest drives you'll ever have, it'll be like a runway!

this is where it was weird, yes it was minus 2, but it become clear after the 3rd that you could still stop the ball, i come into the 4th hard with a wedge from 110 and it stopped dead. If you hit a low drive it would bounce hop and skip forever, but a high drive would still drop and stop.... all in all great fun.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've often stood on the 1st tee, already frozen, with icy wind tears pouring down my rosy frost-bitten cheeks and thought to myself "Well if the Scots can do it......"

Stupid game.

Exactly...and I am half Scots (can muster a mean highland fling)!!

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I dont mind the cold, its the rain dripping down the back of my neck at address that makes me question my sanity.

Or when im wearing my Stetson bush ranger hat in the rain and i look down at my scorecard and the puddle that has accumulated in the brim, cascades all over said card

Soggy Fragger

T

thecraw

I've questioned my sanity every day since I started to organise the Machrihanish 2012 trip. Its only now that I'm beginning to remember why I said to myself last year was the last!

WHEN PEOPLE STILL HAVEN'T PAID THEIR DEPOSIT ABOUT 6 WEEKS LATER THAN ITS DUE.

Also wondered what the he'll I was doing at Barassie in October in the worst golfing conditions that I've ever experienced.

fat-tiger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
this year i have said im not going to play our course when its full temps just dont enjoy playing when its like that, but also couple of years we went to north berwick area end of march, and everyday it was 40 to 50 mph winds, the 3rd hole at gullane 2 it was that windy all the balls blew back down the hill, we was well batterd by time we came home