That has not happened in years

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Having now played 5 or 6 rounds under the new rules (and walked the same number without playing) we've found that the clued up / faster players are saving 5-10 minutes over a round.

HOWEVER it has made absolutely ZERO difference to the slow players (who are oblivious to the fact they're so slow despite much encouragement to speed up and play ready golf etc!).

I my regular group 2 of us now quite often putt out with the flag in whilst the slow players are still faffing about off the green

No rules changes will ever speed up some people!

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's going to take a while to change entrenched views. 'The honour' has been such a part of golf, a tradition in fact, that to change it is going to take quite a while. I push it every time I play but I see a real reluctance in many to run with it. Plenty feel awkward still and it is going to take time to make it feel 'normal '. The more of us that push it and raise it, the sooner we will get there.

You only need to get stuck behind a fourball (normally, but not exclusively ,of old duffers), when playing alone to realise how long rule changes take to be recognised - "We would let you through but as you're a singleton!"

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You only need to get stuck behind a fourball (normally, but not exclusively ,of old duffers), when playing alone to realise how long rule changes take to be recognised - "We would let you through but as you're a singleton!"

yep given that that rule changed at most clubs so long ago I cannot remember when it makes you realise that some players are never going to learn the 2019 rules.

At least at our club you can point to the back of the card about single players.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not seen any reduction in time, as we’ve been playing ready golf for some time. Although we never discussed it we just stopped tending the flag this year and it gets removed on the putters request, usually once they are inside the 15 to 20ft range. I get the feeling I am currently spending more time waiting on the tee, but in reality leaving the pin isn’t saving much time a round as I’m losing it waiting elsewhere.