Texas Scramble

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Can’t see an issue with the winning scores. After playing at Dunbar last week I can see plenty of chances of birdies and eagles in a Texas scramble.

Hell I even made a few pars with my own ball so it’s defo scoreable ?
It was pretty windy apparently which makes the back 9 very challenging.

Anyway, thanks to those who responded. Looks like a 2 shot advantage over the whole field except one team is believable. Winning score was 54.something. par 71, SSS 72.

D

Deleted member 1147

It was pretty windy apparently which makes the back 9 very challenging.

Anyway, thanks to those who responded. Looks like a 2 shot advantage over the whole field except one team is believable. Winning score was 54.something. par 71, SSS 72.
I’m not saying it’s definitely above board, but it’s been done ✅

User20204

Visit site
17 under is pretty impressive but if it's at this time of year where generally courses are playing much shorter/easier then deffo possible.

D

Deleted member 1147

The only scrambles I have played have had a minimum handicap total of the 4 in the team. It stops 4 cat 1's ganging up.
First time I’ve heard of a minimum handicap...why shouldn’t low ‘cappers play together?

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
It all comes out in the wash...... lower handicappers will set up more birdie chances. I think one high handicapper in a team who can putt is worth the extra shots :)

and are any serious comps ever Scrambles?

Golf in Scotland US Masters is deadly serious.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Scrambles favour the low men, you get 4 guys say the highest if off 3 then you can bet they're putting for birdies every hole or better.

Always the same low h/c groups winning at my last place. It's great when you're with them, I was once due to them having a player drop out and won. I've stopped playing in them now.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Quick question...
Would you expect 2 teams to be 2 full shots clear of 3rd and 4th place? About 40 teams took part.
No issues with this happening. Do you have suspicions of 'foul play'?

Texas Scramble is a strange beast for a number of reasons - including 'self scoring', which differs from all other forms of Golf I know!
Handicap allowance seems to have less 'effect' on scores than other aspects of the team make-up.

I've won (once) or come very close to winning 'more than my share' in Club ones through fortunate team content and 'optimal' use of other requirements of the comp - number of Drive requirements. A significantly long, even if somewhat erratic, driver countered by a consistent, even if somewhat short one; a low handicap Lady and a good (or hot) Putter make for a very good team! In T/Ss where teams can be from other clubs, it's low-capper teams that seem to do best - as birdies abound!

HamiltonGuy

Visit site
Strange at our place normally low handicaps moan that it’s easier for high handicaps as of 4 of them they only need 1 got shot per turn which should be manageable. Maybe our lows aren’t legitimately low, soon see with WHS :ROFLMAO:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Strange at our place normally low handicaps moan... :ROFLMAO:
FTFY! :LOL:

Remember that Handicap applied is 1/10th of combined so that has a significantly greater effect on high capper teams. For intra-club ones, it's meant to be a 'fun' comp, not one to be taken too seriously. That's why we tried to arrange teams to have a range of handicaps, not all one type.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Always the same low h/c groups winning at my last place. It's great when you're with them, I was once due to them having a player drop out and won. I've stopped playing in them now.

I always think Texas Scrambles are the most unfair format re h/s, I find it always fav our the low h/cs