Tested a bunch of different balls

G1z1

Visit site
I was looking through my bag of balls today and noticed a had quite a few different brands so picked the best ones out and hit 10 shots with each ball and I’ll post the results. The only brand new ball was the inesis tour 900 and by far the best feeling for me was both the srixon balls.
BF18C730-391F-480F-BD1A-8BAD33A00F6C.jpeg

G1z1

Visit site
I think it would be one of the Srixon balls, they both felt really nice to hit and noticeable better than the rest. I would take that over the ones that gave me more yards.

D

Deleted member 23270

How did you measure, trackman or pacing out in a field?
And were you using driver or 7 iron?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Interesting to know your handicap, coz word on the streets is that unless you are under 10, you are unlikely to be able to put a consistent swing on it to be able to gauge much difference.

The general advice is find a ball you like ( maybe a summer ball and a winter ball) but stick with it ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm a bit confused. If I was testing with the driver, I'd write down the carry distances. But it seems as though you were hitting pitching wedge or 9 iron, in which case I'm not really sure why the carry distance is what you've deemed most important? Wouldn't you be more interested in dispersion, stopping distance, stuff like that? i.e. for hitting a green? Seems like a weirdly pointless test to only note down carry distance with a short club.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I'm a bit confused. If I was testing with the driver, I'd write down the carry distances. But it seems as though you were hitting pitching wedge or 9 iron, in which case I'm not really sure why the carry distance is what you've deemed most important? Wouldn't you be more interested in dispersion, stopping distance, stuff like that? i.e. for hitting a green? Seems like a weirdly pointless test to only note down carry distance with a short club.

I'd argue that carry distances are more important with the shorter clubs, as that is where the precision is needed.

G1z1

Visit site
I was using a 9iron on the garmin r10. My handicap is 24 although I haven’t handed in a card for a good while and broke my PB again today with +11 and last few time I’ve played against the greenkeeper who plays off 10 I’ve beat him.
@Orikoru i don’t know why total distance would be important, personally I’m only interested in my carry distances. I hit my 6 iron pretty consistent at 180 carry and on the first hole at my local is a very flat par 4 so can maybe at a push get 200 out of it and I’ll hit a 6 iron if I am not confident in my driver and it being the first tee. On the 18th hole another par 4 but there’s a slope at the right hand side and I can usually hit it and my 6 iron goes 240/260 depending on the bonce I get. So how far do I hit my 6 iron total is it 200 or 260 ? It’s completely irrelevant no hole has the same run out so I will stick to carry only.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was using a 9iron on the garmin r10. My handicap is 24 although I haven’t handed in a card for a good while and broke my PB again today with +11 and last few time I’ve played against the greenkeeper who plays off 10 I’ve beat him.
@Orikoru i don’t know why total distance would be important, personally I’m only interested in my carry distances. I hit my 6 iron pretty consistent at 180 carry and on the first hole at my local is a very flat par 4 so can maybe at a push get 200 out of it and I’ll hit a 6 iron if I am not confident in my driver and it being the first tee. On the 18th hole another par 4 but there’s a slope at the right hand side and I can usually hit it and my 6 iron goes 240/260 depending on the bonce I get. So how far do I hit my 6 iron total is it 200 or 260 ? It’s completely irrelevant no hole has the same run out so I will stick to carry only.
Ok.. that's absolutely nothing to do with what I was saying though.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Lol...a handicap of 24 and a 200 yard 6 iron.
All I can add is, I need more than 3 clubs for a 60 yard distance gap;)

Depends what clubs he’s got. I’m off 18, I use taylormade m2 irons which are power bats anyway, but the 6iron is a joke, I can hit it 170-210, 5iron is 190-200 so my gapping is all over the shop up there!

Partly why I’m loving the new forged irons I’ve bought, normal lofts etc and so there’s a definite gapping in there, to the point that I’ve started using a hybrid for 200+.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lol...a handicap of 24 and a 200 yard 6 iron.
All I can add is, I need more than 3 clubs for a 60 yard distance gap;)

Within about 2 years of starting to play I was hitting the same distances as Jack Nicklaus, 6 iron (todays 7 or 8 iron) 180 yards judging by what they were saying on the box.

However, very sadly, nowhere near his consistent accuracy.

I play with a couple of 20+ handicaps who regularly boom the ball miles past mine trouble is they lack the control and try to boom every shot.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
You can't use a Garmin R10 to accurately measure the yardage of those balls it calculates spin rates & does not directly measure it, all it's doing it taking your ball speed & launch angles & spitting out a distance figure. Having said that it wont be miles off from the correct yadages but you really need to get on a GC Quad in order to get reliable spin rates or a Trackman/Flightscope if you can hit the balls outside.

tobybarker

Visit site
No disrespect but a HCP such as you have would not indicate a very consistent distance with a given club..... That said, confidence and feel is everything in golf so if you like a ball sir whatever reason then go for it. I played with one of those two colour srixons yesterday and played really well...I liked the line on it for putting too, so maybe I'll buy a box ......

Last edited:

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I’d go back and test them few times in different orders too. Just to take out being stiff at the start etc.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I was looking through my bag of balls today and noticed a had quite a few different brands so picked the best ones out and hit 10 shots with each ball and I’ll post the results. The only brand new ball was the inesis tour 900 and by far the best feeling for me was both the srixon balls.
View attachment 39128

interesting how your results compare with a controlled ball test;

Screenshot 2021-10-23 at 08.56.05.png

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Why; unless you've got an enforced carry that you need to know this for, surely the overall distance is more important? I played with a guy yesterday whose carry distance far exceeded mine, but he was playing his second shot first most times because I was getting considerably more run than he was.