Tending the flag your honour?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1147
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1147

I've recently been asked two questions by playing partners and I honestly don't know the answer for sure. So any help would be gratefully received:

1 - Can you have the pin 'tended even if you are off the green?

2 - In match play does the honour go to the winner of the hole or to the lowest gross score?

I have recently been told yes to no1 and gross score to no2.
But had originally believed it to be no & net winner of the hole!

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes Gill, you can have to pin tended from wherever you want, but the person must take the pin out if ur ball is going to go in the hole, even if you are teeing off at a par 5 you can have someone tend the flag. Hardly likely but there you go........

The lowest nett score normally tee's of 1st, so that would mean the winner of the hole plays 1st from next tee.

D

Deleted member 1147

A friend of mine was not allowed the honour after winning a hole using his shot. His opponant said that as he had equalled the gross score he carried on with the honour.

So for point one the usual option of in or out is incorrect - it should be In, out or tended?

Cheers CC07

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Interesting, I have heard both answers for the honour question and we go the opposite way and use lowest gross score,except in matchplay cos if you won the hole then it is clearly your honour.

We tend to ask "how would you like it?" when it comes to flag tending.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
1). Clubchamp has it right - flag can be attended with ball anywhere on the course

2). In matchplay, winner of hole takes the honour at next hole (rule 10-1a). Winner of hole is lowest nett score (rule 2-1) so the gross score, per se, has nothing to do with it.

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you shanker? understand it I mean?

The Irish have taken the European tour by storm for the last few weeks. Thats about 4 wins in 5 weeks.

Lovely jobley.

Shame I'm not a gambler

D

Deleted member 1147

Sorry!!!

What I meant was that you basically have three options for when you are off the green:

1 - Take out the flag - so the flag doesn't stop the ball from dropping.

2 - Leave the flag in - perhaps on a treacherous downhiller, so it can prevent the ball going down the hill.

3 - Tending the flag - so you can see where the hole is and so if going on line the flag is removed to do as in point 1.

Or have I just forgotten every rule in golf over the few ears I was away?

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
A friend of mine was not allowed the honour after winning a hole using his shot. His opponant said that as he had equalled the gross score he carried on with the honour.

So for point one the usual option of in or out is incorrect - it should be In, out or tended?
As backwoodsman has correctly pointed out, in matchplay the winner of the hole hyas the honour, so that is obviously always going to be nett, however your rulebook bully is clearly confusing this with normal strokeplay where it's always the lowest gross that tees off, although I've seen some players (incorrectly) try to claim the honour with the best stabelford score on a hole as well.

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Tending when off teh green - that's something I didn't know (along with many other things) Thanks for making the point, Gill.

cheers

AliB