Tempo

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a playing lesson with my coach yesterday and it all went really well ( 3 over for 9).

Only hit two poor shots (2 fairway wood shots, 1 skied, 1 thinned).

Said all look good and looked like the bad shots were when I got a little fast on the takeaway.

Not really done any work on swing tempo so wondered what drills etc are out there that I could build into practice/ pre shot routine.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Something I try to control but when I'm playing poorly it's usually a fast jerky takeaway!!!

Think youtube has quite a few drills- usually with regards to saying something in backswing then downswing and try to swing in that rythm.

I have a swing pro and think you want 3/4 back swing 1/4 downswing in timing or thereabouts and swing analyser will usually tell you what you are swinging like.

I think there are MP3 files you can get that beep if you've got headphones in to swing to the beat too

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
All the best player's tempo is 3:1
Nick Price was a fast tempo but still 3 back, 1 through
Ernie is a slow 3:1
But they're all 3:1.....

Fish

Banned
Visit site
After trying the M2 down at AG the other week and not getting on with it at all, they fitted the TruSwing (which I'm going to buy today) on my shaft to get some more stats and my tempo was a consistent 3.6 which they said was good?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Like most players, my swing tends to get too fast. A useful practice exercise is to make a few slow motion practice swings before making the actual shot. Then you have got the feel for not rushing it.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had a playing lesson with my coach yesterday and it all went really well ( 3 over for 9).

Only hit two poor shots (2 fairway wood shots, 1 skied, 1 thinned).

Said all look good and looked like the bad shots were when I got a little fast on the takeaway.

Not really done any work on swing tempo so wondered what drills etc are out there that I could build into practice/ pre shot routine.

My favourite routine to help with nice tempo and rhythm is from an old Leadbetter video.

On the range line up some golf balls a few inches apart and hit them one after the other without stopping, like in one continuous movement.

MrBrightside

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I also struggle with tempo on the course sometimes, practice swing is fine but then standing over the ball feel like the mind goes blank and just want to get teh shot/swing over with as quickly as possible.

The Garmin S6 watch was a built in tempo-meter thingy-me-bob, not used but did consider when struggling.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you normally hit your 8 iron about 140 yards, try hitting it 100 yards instead. Keep your swing length normal when you do this and your tempo will naturally slow down.