Teflon

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know when my daughter came back to live with me she ruined several Teflon pans by either cooking at far too high heat and or not using stirring utensils suitable for the finish.
I use high quality stainless steel, sandwich bottom pans for a lot of my cooking, they are over 40 years old with still no signs of problems with them.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Stainless steel. I bought some 20+ years ago. We've still got them. Good as new. As for sticking to the pan. Turn the heat down!!!!! Also, make sure there is enough water / sauce in the pan. Keep and eye on this and you'll be fine.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I’ve recently got in to cooking at home, and one thing I’ve noticed is that no alter what I use, everything ems to stick to the pans.
i know a few friends and they say it’s the same for them too.
Seems your either lucky and nothing sticks no matter how rubbish your cooking is, or despite following a recipe and doing nothing wrong. It all gets ruined and a good meal wiped out!

any tips……
What sort of 'pans' are you using? Are you using oil? What temperature are you cooking at - and is it constant?
All the above can have an effect on how good the result is, depending on what is being cooked.

RichA

Visit site
What sort of 'pans' are you using? Are you using oil? What temperature are you cooking at - and is it constant?
All the above can have an effect on how good the result is, depending on what is being cooked.
In 40 years of cooking I've never measured the temperature of a pan. How and why would you? It's just little flame, medium flame, big flame.
Our stainless steel, copper bottomed saucepans are 23 years old and good as new. They go in the dishwasher every day.
Le Creuset non-stick frying pans about 10 years old but good as new. Rapeseed oil, silicone stirrers and only see the inside of the dishwasher if Mrs A is away for the evening.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
In 40 years of cooking I've never measured the temperature of a pan. How and why would you? It's just little flame, medium flame, big flame.
Nor have/do I. I use equivalent..High, Medium, Low which I should probably have stated/asked.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Spend good money on something like Circulon and they will last for years. I had a set for 25 years and just retired then recently.
Bought scoville this time, seem OK but doubt they will last years.
The tip about not too much heat or not letting flames lick up the side is sound.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Spend good money on something like Circulon and they will last for years. I had a set for 25 years and just retired then recently.
Bought scoville this time, seem OK but doubt they will last years.
The tip about not too much heat or not letting flames lick up the side is sound.
Not a problem with induction hobs;)